Nov 23, 2011
Hello everyone! first post here

Getting ready to put up a new system. Here's what i've decided so far:

Processor: Intel i5-2400

Motherboard: Intel DH67BL

RAM: Kingston or Corsair Value RAM 4GB DDR3-1333

Display: Samsung LED lit S22A300B

HDD: Seagate 500 GB (ST-3500418AS)

Graphics Card: Gigabyte 6950 1Gb (870 core clock)

Casing: CoolerMaster CM Elite370

DVD-Drive: Samsung Super-WriteMaster SH-222AB

PSU: ?????

I've already exceeded my budget with all these and now i'm in a fix regarding a good PSU.

I dont have a wide variety of choices and the ones available in my budget are:

a. Coolermaster GX 550W
b. ThermalTake TR2-500W
c. ThermalTake TR2-550W Modular

The AMD Site states that a minimum of 500W power supply is required and i can manage just about that. Furthermore i wont overclock anything as is obvious from my motherboard chipset and ofcourse no crossfire ever.

With this in mind what would you guys recommend. which power supply should i choose? Going through older threads i know most of you would recommend even greater supplies 650+ but sadly it would be way over my budget.

wont 550w be enough for the system?

eager to hear your thoughts

regards

Solution
The Antec Earthwatts Green EA-500D is a great choice and I think it is the one I would get unless an absolutely glowing, positive review shows up for the TR-500P.

tarekwm

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
i have exactly the same system as u but the differance is that i have an i5 2500 non k and 8 gig of ram i have a 750 watts psu and i can safely tell u that it is waaaay overkill . 550 watts will be ok as ur max power consumption is about 390 watts (6950 is power efficiant) hope that helps

If the Cooler Master GX 550 available to you is the Enhance built RS-550-ACAA-D3 rather than the Seventeam built RS-550-ACAA-E3 then it is probably the best out of those three.

The TR-700P recently received a positive review from Hardwaresecrets, so the TR-500P, if it is anything like the 700W version (which isn't necessarily the case) should be okay as well.

I think the TR2 RX 550 should be discounted as it doesn't even have Active PFC and the efficiency is only 70%, the operating temp is very low (25c) and finally it doesn't have enough PCIe connectors for a 6950.

Today, any PSU with a little voltage switch should be avoided.
IMHO Coolermaster should also be avoided. The Seventeam-built GX-650 was described as a "polished turd in a box" by HardOCP. Coolermaster also puts liar-labels on some of their PSUs, overrating them or claiming protections that they don't have (fact, not opinion; reviews at HardwareSecrets). That's dishonest, and a dishonest company does not deserve anyone's business, for any of their products.
The new models of TR2 by Thermaltake are decent, but the older ones (no Active PFC as Silvune pointed out; look for the little voltage switch) are also overrated near-junk.
Where are you shopping? Perhaps we can help you select a decent PSU from what is available.

destructor

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Thank you all for your quick replies. I know the community will help me get a decent PSU!

The Seventeam built is available here.

I reside in Islamabad, Pakistan and will shop locally. Items available here, are listed on this link Galaxy Computers

So far thermaltake tr2-500 is (a bit) viable choice then.
Another choice would be the Antec EA500D Green 500w.

Your thoughts?

Regards

It won't be a close affair at all. As Takerwm said your system will consume less than 400W under maximum load, even if you do overclock.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4061/amds-radeon-hd-6970-radeon-hd-6950/24
Shows a system with an i7-920 (more power hungry than an i5-2400) and a 6950 using 320W under Furmark. Furmark is an unrealistic load. Maximum loads of any kind are fairly rare for most users as well.

AMD are recommending 500W units as a minimum for systems with a 6950 because partly they are covering themselves and they know that people will use units which are low quality and can't deliver the wattage they claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.