Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Building Computer; In search of mobo. Recommendations?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
September 15, 2012 12:30:54 AM

Hello!
I've been doing my research for a while now, for all hardware components, but I just can't seem to pick exactly which motherboard I want. I've chosen some parts already for the main components but I need it to be compatible with what I've listed and definitely be easy/a good choice to put in for a full water-cooling build. And if you think there are better choices then what I've written down, by all means, let me know. This is my first build on my own.

Approximate Purchase Dates: Late Novemeber

Budget Range: ~$1200 (for the parts of my entire build that I don't have)

System Usage: Gaming/Programming, Internet, Movies, Audio

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Depends

Monitor Resolution: 2560x1440

Parts Needed:
Note: These parts are still up for consideration. They are simply what I have chosen thus far.

GPU: HIS reference model of the HD 7950
Price: ~$320 but I've read and seen it go a bit below that.

CPU: i5-3570K Ivy Bridge
Price: ~$230

RAM: G.Skill 16gb (4x4)
Price: ~$85

Water Cooling: I plan on spending ~$200-250.

Parts not needed: (Because I own them)

Case: Obsidian 800D
Price: $210
I acquired this along with a radiator & reservoir from a friend for this price.

PSU: 650w. I bought from a friend in good condition. I don't remember specifications.
Price: $60

SSD: ADATA Premier Pro 128GB SATAIII
Price: ~$83

Monitor: Yamasaki Catleap 26" 1440p
Price: ~$300

Keyboard: Noppo Choc-Mini w/blue switches (The link is for browns)
Price: ~100

Mouse: Logitech G500
Price: ~$40

Mousepad: Steelseries Diablo III Logo
Price: ~$15-20 (don't remember)

Headphones: Sony MDR-7506
Price: ~$100

Speakers: M-Audio BX5 D2
Price: ~$250

HDDs: Raid1 Seagate 2Tb Barracude greens 5900rpm in an external enclosure. A 300Gb 7200 & 250Gb 7200(IDE but w/e) (both from two old desktop builds). A 1.5Tb Seagate Barracude bare-drive. A 1.5Tb Seagate in a perma-enclosure (I plan on using as a backup drive that I keep in my closet)

I plan on purchasing a small Gb SSD for my laptop when I move over the 128Gb to the desktop. This will be at max $50. And depending on how the two 7200 work, I might purchase a 1Tb Cavalier Black or a F3 Spinpoint.

With the current parts I plan on buying I come to a total of ~$935 (Not including a 1tb drive). So this leaves me to spend ~$200-250.

Recommendations?

Edit: I didn't mention this before but I want to build a system that will last my for a while. I don't want to have it not be cable of doing what I want for a while. I know technology develops exponentially but for what I'll want it to do I think it will last a while. My last build lasted me for ~7 years.

Edit: I am looking for a mobo with at least one ps2 connector (for my keyboard). This isn't necessary but it would be very useful for me. Also, it'd be great if I could color match with my ram. heh :) 
September 15, 2012 1:13:51 AM

SidEvolution said:
Hello!

Not sure what motherboard to be going for. I've been doing my research for a while now, for all hardware components, but I just can't seem to pick exactly which motherboard I want.

Here is what I plan on having in my build. Also, I am expecting to build this computer closer to the end of november.

Obsidian 800D:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This goes for a bit less then 300 but I have acquired it, along with a radiator and reservoir, from a friend already for ~210. Its in great condition other then the front panel having come off but I believe I could fix it and it really isn't an issue for me.

HIS reference model of the HD 7950
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
~320 but i've read and seen it go a bit below that.

i5-3570K Ivy Bridge
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
~230

G.Skill 16gb (4x4)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
~85

I plan on spending another ~200-250 on water cooling.

Below here are things I already own:

I have a 650w psu in good condition from a friend for 60. It is packed away currently so I forgot what it specifically was. But it was a decent psu, especially for $60.

For the monitor, I currently have a 26' Catleap 1440p. (Unused since I have a laptop that doesn't have dvi-d dual link port)
~300

For a keyboard, I currently have a Noppo Choc-Mini with blue switches. (The link is for browns)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Noppoo-Choc-Mini-NKRO-Mechanica...
~100

For the mouse, I currently have a Logitech g500. I got it for $40 on ebay a while and was able to get logitech to replace it for a new one :) 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For my headphones I currently have a pair of Sony MDR-7506
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDR7506/
~100

And for my speakers I have M-Audio BX5 D2s
http://www.amazon.com/Avid-9900-65174-00-M-Audio-BX5-D2...
I bought them last year for ~250

I recently bought a 128gb ssd and have stuck it in my laptop
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
~83

For my mousepad I have a steelseries diablo III
http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-QcK-Diablo-Gaming-Mou...
it was 15 or 20, dont remember

I have a raid-1 of Seagate 2tb barracude greens 5900rpm in an external enclosure as well as a 300 gb 7200 and 250gb 7200(IDE but w/e) (both from two old desktop builds) and a 1.5 seagate barracude bare drive and one in a perma-enclosure ( i plan on using as a backup drive that I keep in my closet)

I plan on getting a really small ssd to stick into my laptop when i move the 128gb into the desktop so that adds in at max 50. And depending on how things go with having two different types of 7200 hdds I might switch them to one
1tb cavalier black which hopefully will go down in price some by november.

So that puts me having/going to spent/spend ~$1919 (not including either 7200 drives since I didn't buy them, at least I dont think I did and not including the 1tb I might buy)

So I'm looking for a intel mobo that will be a good fit for this build. I was looking at the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z but I dont need to spend 320 on a mobo. I'm thinking to spend on 200 to 250 on one or something along those lines.

Recommendations?


I have this Gigabyte board and I really like it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Just be sure to update the BIOS after you get set up.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 1:25:39 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Why would you get a reference 7950 when several models with much better non-reference coolers are available at the same price and since your choice is out of stock anyway?

I also don't get why you want 16GiB of RAM. Going beyond 4GiB/6GiB has no performance benefit, so going beyond 8GiB isn't of any use in gaming unless you do something more than just gaming.

For a motherboard choice, you could consider choosing one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Gigabyte UDH5 is good, but are you sure that you want to spend that much money on a motherboard?
m
0
l
Related resources
September 15, 2012 1:40:27 AM

blazorthon said:
Why would you get a reference 7950 when several models with much better non-reference coolers are available at the same price and since your choice is out of stock anyway?

I also don't get why you want 16GiB of RAM. Going beyond 4GiB/6GiB has no performance benefit, so going beyond 8GiB isn't of any use in gaming unless you do something more than just gaming.

For a motherboard choice, you could consider choosing one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Gigabyte UDH5 is good, but are you sure that you want to spend that much money on a motherboard?


I will be water-cooling the entire system. From what I've read, it is a lot easier buying a reference block for my GPU rather trying to find a block for a non-reference gpu-model.

I chose 16Gb of ram partially for the hell of it and because I might want to run severs for games (minecraft perhaps) and I will be vpning and remote accessing it from my laptop, phone and living room media center.

Also, the reason I was going for higher-end mobos was because I don't plan on building another desktop for a while. I might switch to a smaller one later but that'll all depend on my living situation. I guess I should of included that in my original post.

Edit: I mean, I've never had a computer that could take everything I sent at it so I am willing to put down the money to have one that will. The UDH5 is a good choice and has good specs.
m
0
l
September 15, 2012 2:18:36 PM

SidEvolution said:
I will be water-cooling the entire system. From what I've read, it is a lot easier buying a reference block for my GPU rather trying to find a block for a non-reference gpu-model.

I chose 16Gb of ram partially for the hell of it and because I might want to run severs for games (minecraft perhaps) and I will be vpning and remote accessing it from my laptop, phone and living room media center.

Also, the reason I was going for higher-end mobos was because I don't plan on building another desktop for a while. I might switch to a smaller one later but that'll all depend on my living situation. I guess I should of included that in my original post.

Edit: I mean, I've never had a computer that could take everything I sent at it so I am willing to put down the money to have one that will. The UDH5 is a good choice and has good specs.


I went with 16Gb of RAM as well, I knew it was overkill, but I got 4 sticks of Corsair DDR3-1600 for about $100, and ya just can't argue with that price. I do some video and audio processing and have utilized over 8Gb but that's as high as I've seen it go. Also, with 16Gb you can totally disable virtual RAM in Windows with no fear, and that makes things run a bit snappier. Finally, you could always use that extra RAM as a RAM Disk. Cheap RAM gotta love it.

I think the UD5H is really a more midrange board. Mobo prices are getting ridiculous, some are over $400, and the UD5H at $189 seems like a deal to me when you look at the specs. I esp. like the Gigabyte dual bios feature, it makes trashing your board via the BIOS pretty difficult.

If ya wanna toally geek out, dump the case and build it on a tech bench, like I did. Check it out:

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen...

That think looks awesome sitting next to me on my desk, and it really freaks everybody out lol...
m
0
l
September 15, 2012 3:43:40 PM

thrasher32 said:
I went with 16Gb of RAM as well, I knew it was overkill, but I got 4 sticks of Corsair DDR3-1600 for about $100, and ya just can't argue with that price. I do some video and audio processing and have utilized over 8Gb but that's as high as I've seen it go. Also, with 16Gb you can totally disable virtual RAM in Windows with no fear, and that makes things run a bit snappier. Finally, you could always use that extra RAM as a RAM Disk. Cheap RAM gotta love it.

I think the UD5H is really a more midrange board. Mobo prices are getting ridiculous, some are over $400, and the UD5H at $189 seems like a deal to me when you look at the specs. I esp. like the Gigabyte dual bios feature, it makes trashing your board via the BIOS pretty difficult.

If ya wanna toally geek out, dump the case and build it on a tech bench, like I did. Check it out:

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen...

That think looks awesome sitting next to me on my desk, and it really freaks everybody out lol...



That looks awesome. I might consider doing that for another build. heh

I didn't know that Gigabyte had that feature on the UD5H. Do all Gigabyte mobos have that? I might have to ponder more so on a Gigabyte board now.
I've been looking at this ASrock Mobo. It has some nice features and has a ps2 port. But I def am going to try to look into more of the features of the brands and secs now.

And that is exactly my mindset with ram. Before having my laptop, which I'm using right now and has 6gb of ram, I had a desktop with about 1 gb of ram. T'was the worst since the mobo on that desktop couldn't support ddr3, so I was stuck with ddr2 and that was expensive ram back then. I'll have all the ram! And if it comes down to it, I can reduce that 16gb ram to 8gb of the same type. Its only a $40 diff.
m
0
l

Best solution

September 15, 2012 7:36:25 PM

SidEvolution said:
That looks awesome. I might consider doing that for another build. heh

I didn't know that Gigabyte had that feature on the UD5H. Do all Gigabyte mobos have that? I might have to ponder more so on a Gigabyte board now.
I've been looking at this ASrock Mobo. It has some nice features and has a ps2 port. But I def am going to try to look into more of the features of the brands and secs now.

And that is exactly my mindset with ram. Before having my laptop, which I'm using right now and has 6gb of ram, I had a desktop with about 1 gb of ram. T'was the worst since the mobo on that desktop couldn't support ddr3, so I was stuck with ddr2 and that was expensive ram back then. I'll have all the ram! And if it comes down to it, I can reduce that 16gb ram to 8gb of the same type. Its only a $40 diff.


Yep the dual-bios thing is a Gigabyte exclusive and as far as I know all their mobos have it . Basically if the board detects that the main BIOS is corrupted, it just self-flashes the main bios from the backup bios and you're back up. It's nice to have when you need it and I've needed it a couple of times. Oh, there's also a switch on the board that will aloow you to manually select which BIOS to boot from, main or backup. That could be handy. I used to be an ASUS nut but Gigabyte has really impressed me with my last couple of builds. Good features good price and reliable.
Share
October 2, 2012 12:00:32 AM

thrasher32 said:
Yep the dual-bios thing is a Gigabyte exclusive and as far as I know all their mobos have it . Basically if the board detects that the main BIOS is corrupted, it just self-flashes the main bios from the backup bios and you're back up. It's nice to have when you need it and I've needed it a couple of times. Oh, there's also a switch on the board that will aloow you to manually select which BIOS to boot from, main or backup. That could be handy. I used to be an ASUS nut but Gigabyte has really impressed me with my last couple of builds. Good features good price and reliable.


I ended up going with MSI z77 lga 1155. It helped me out to read what you proposed and what not, thanks!
m
0
l
October 2, 2012 12:00:38 AM

Best answer selected by SidEvolution.
m
0
l
!