Replacing CPU Dual-Core with Quad-Core

Aiwa-Lee

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
My h/w is this : Motherboard Asus P5QL-e και Dual-Core Ε5300 @2.6Ghz
A friend gave me his CPU : Quad-Core (Q9400 Quad-Core) from his old pc which wouldnt boot (no beep) but I am not sure yet if it was a mobo problem entirely. Here's my question : Should i just try it on and see or is there danger for other components if theres some issue with it? And in case it works does my cooler (the old CPUs by default) suffice or should i look for something more efficient?
Thanx in advance!!

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I would rather install the CPU on a different motherboard first to see if it turns on. CPU's don't normally blow, and are fairly hardy pieces of equipment (under normal use, obviously) so the risk of damaging something else is quite low. I would be careful though, as a blown CPU can have a number of effects on the motherboard and other components, and replacing said parts will be difficult and expensive considering you're still rocking an LGA775 setup.

Aiwa-Lee

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I dont have any other mobo available to test it so i am going to try tommorow with my old one and see how it goes.. What is your opinion on the cooler? should i get a new/bigger one?

If you want to overclock then yes, however you should get some new thermal paste for that new q9400.

loneninja

Distinguished
I'm not that familiar with Intel stock heatsinks, but the quad will for sure run hotter than your E5300. It may be fine at stock speeds(if they have the same retail heatsink it will be), but if you want to overclock your going to need to buy a better cooler.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

You can't go wrong with a Hyper 212+ I think everybody should get an after market cooler generally they are quieter.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

YES. The Core 2 Quads do run quite a lot hotter than the dual core processors, and the stock cooler doesn't do a pretty job at keeping it cool under load even when not overclocked. I'd get an aftermarket cooler even if you don't want to overclock, just to have that little headroom. Hyper 212+ does a great job for a great price, but if you can't find it the Hyper 212 Evo seems to have replaced it. Same design, just a little more tweaked heat pipes on the contact patch (212+ sometimes had a little problem with that) and I think they also increased the fin placement angle, but I'm not sure.

Aiwa-Lee

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Hey guyz i tried yetsterday but im afraid it was dead... Got the good old Dual-core back on, seems its gonna be taking the heat for quite some time :p

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Good choice. I wouldn't upgrade within the LGA775 framework anyhow. If the CPU worked that would've been great, but now that it doesn't you can start saving up for your next big upgrade, if you would so prefer. :)

Aiwa-Lee

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Fyi I flushed my Bios to a newer version and the thought-dead quad-core is now fully operational under a new cooler and works like a charm! :)

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hey congrats man! Glad for you! The Q9400 may be old and on an old package, but it's still a very good CPU for today. Check my sig, I run a C2Q as well and I'm happy as can be about it! :)

TRENDING THREADS