Computer upgrade

borninthe50s

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Hello,
I istalled a new mobo ASUS P8Z77-v and the computr won't boot and then tries to do a repair, but unsuccessful. I set the mobo to default settings so that it would load generic drivers then I should be able to load drivers from mobo CD. Any help would be appreciated. borninthe50s

Solution
Did the operating system Windows I assume) come installed on your computer or did you install it yourself? I could be wrong but if it is an OEM version of Windows it may be tied to the hardware and this could be the reason for your problem. From what I have read Windows will allow you to change various components but has an issue with you changing the motherboard.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-exactly-does-windows-7-retail-vs-oem/fae7b2ab-c530-45e6-aeb3-cc55cf7b9231
Did the operating system Windows I assume) come installed on your computer or did you install it yourself? I could be wrong but if it is an OEM version of Windows it may be tied to the hardware and this could be the reason for your problem. From what I have read Windows will allow you to change various components but has an issue with you changing the motherboard.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-exactly-does-windows-7-retail-vs-oem/fae7b2ab-c530-45e6-aeb3-cc55cf7b9231

Solution

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
It sounds like you have installed a new motherboard to an existing system that already has Windows installed. That usually doesn't work very well because it violates the software license agreement for windows. You will need to install a new copy of windows from scratch. If your existing copy of Windows is an OEM version then you will also need to buy a new OEM license for it so that you can activate it legally.

borninthe50s

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012

Hi kenrivers, Thanks for the info regarding OS tied to mobo. What I wound up doing was formatting the drive and reinstalling Win 7 OEM version. I was a bit uneasy about having to try and activate the OS, so I contacted Microsoft and explained that the cpu and mobo and ram had failed and all had to be replaced. This is my son's computer that he uses for college assignments. They said that they would walk me thru and verify genuine Microsoft Product. I don't know if they did something to reset the product code number, but all went well and was verified. But you were right that they tie the motherboard and the mac address to the product key. Maybe they took pity on me and now my son is a happy camper. Thank you for your time and willingness to share your knowledge with me.

borninthe50s

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012

Hi JKatwyopc, Thanks for the info regarding OS tied to mobo. What I wound up doing was formatting the drive and reinstalling Win 7 OEM version. I was a bit uneasy about having to try and activate the OS, so I contacted Microsoft and explained that the cpu and mobo and ram had failed and all had to be replaced. This is my son's computer that he uses for college assignments. They said that they would walk me thru and verify genuine Microsoft Product. I don't know if they did something to reset the product code number, but all went well and was verified. But you were right that they tie the motherboard and the mac address to the product key. Maybe they took pity on me and now my son is a happy camper. Thank you for your time and willingness to share your knowledge with me.