Sign in with
Your question

Should I upgrade to 16gb???

Last response: in Memory
September 15, 2012 1:15:47 AM

Just picked this toshiba up at staples over weekend for $479

http://www.staples.com/Toshiba-Satellite-L875D-S7232-17...

It comes with 6gb ddr3 1600/amd A8-4500m/radeon 7640g....

Impressive WEI out of box (no overclocking or driver updates)

CPU 6.7
RAM 7.1
Aero 6.7
Grapics 6.7
HDD 5.9

Should I upgrade to 16gb ddr3 or just swap out the 2gb for 4gb chip???

I can pick up this 16gb set below for $65 with my coupon code.... Will this work???

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Using this system for desktop replacement.... Have multiple streams going on between netflix/mlb on lcd tv and whatever I'm doing online... I don't game at all... I'd like to max out 7640g and thought that I need dual channel memory (matching chips) to do so.... I don't understand all the systems they are putting out with 4+2 memory config... My only reason to go to 16gb and not 8gb is the slim difference in price these days...

Btw, obv noob here... Any input is greatly appreciated.... Also, what driver updates are needed for this system???

I read that its very easy to overclock 7640g.... Probably not needed for what I'm doing though... I just need to be able to run hd streams on multiple screens without overloading system.... Tx again....

More about : upgrade 16gb

a b } Memory
September 15, 2012 1:30:36 AM

I see no reason for you to upgrade your memory.

You should be able to have dual-channel capability with the first 4GiB of your memory (2GiB from both modules) and single channel from the remaining 2GiB of the 4GiB module (no guarantee that this is how your computer is working, but it should be working this way). It should be fine. However, going up to 8GiB isn't unreasonable, but 16GiB simply seems excessive. You wouldn't easily use that much RAM, let alone effectively, through gaming/applications unless you used a RAM driver for some reason.

You can go to AMD.com to see if your graphics drivers are up to date with the current releases.

Overclocking Llano and Trinity IGPs is not worth the extra power consumption. They scale very poorly with overclocking due to the memory bandwidth bottle-neck (even dual-channel DDR3-2133 would still be a bottle-neck, simply being DDR3 is pretty much a guarantee of a memory bottle-neck as far as decent GPUs are concerned).
m
l
a b } Memory
September 15, 2012 1:31:44 AM

6GB should be enough by default, but at $65 that's a steal.
m
l
Related resources
September 15, 2012 1:34:48 AM

No point in paying for more memory if you aren't doing anything to utilze that extra space. Streaming data is more dependent on your internet connection then your hardware and since you don't game that's even more of a reason not to spend money on more memory. If you just want to upgrade for the sake of it, then have at it.

Also the drivers you'll need depends the hardware you're running, so just google HD 7640g drivers etc. Or just go on Toshibas site, find your laptop and the drivers should be there. I would attempt to look myself, but it's late and i'm to lazy to look right now.

m
l
September 15, 2012 1:36:21 AM

It probably wont make a noticeable difference especially for your usage. You sound like you haven't used it to run multiple HD streams yet so I would do that before putting more money into this laptop. Something this low end I personally would just use it until it dies or doesn't do what I need it to do then go buy a new one 4-5 years down the road.
m
l
September 15, 2012 1:49:17 AM

Thank you everyone for responding....

James, I have 2 streams running currently with a few chrome tabs open....

CPU usage is bouncing between 50-65%

Physical Memory is 55%

Task Physical Memory manager reads....

Total 5606
Cached 2228
Available 2681
Free 900-1000

Saw cpu jump over 70% after watching it awhile.... Is this okay??? I thought that it would be good to keep it under 50%..... My Amd quad desktop this replaced never went over 50%....

Also, if 6gb is plenty of ram.... Why do I have less than 1 gb free whenever I check???

On the fence about this, especially since any type of pc upgrade has never ended well for me...

m
l
September 15, 2012 1:53:13 AM

blazorthon thank you... I thought I needed matching ram to have dual channel memory.... I was unaware that I had dual channel up to 4gb... So I imagine the 7640g is maxed out at this point....

Again tx everyone for input....

I will scan for driver updates etc....
m
l
a b } Memory
September 15, 2012 2:03:09 AM

onarush said:
blazorthon thank you... I thought I needed matching ram to have dual channel memory.... I was unaware that I had dual channel up to 4gb... So I imagine the 7640g is maxed out at this point....

Again tx everyone for input....

I will scan for driver updates etc....

It'd probably be similar to how Nvidia gets 2GB on their 192 bit GTX 660 and GTX 660 Ti graphics cards. One of the memory controllers uses two 512MiB chips instead of two 256MiB chips, but if you use more than 256MiB each on them and the other chips on the other memory controllers, the remaining 512MiB on the one memory controller can only be used at a third of the card's memory bandwidth because only one controller can access that last 512MiB of memory.
m
l
September 24, 2012 3:50:37 PM

The first 2GB from each stick, 4GB in total, will run in dual channel. The 2GB overage on the 4GB stick will run in single channel mode. Honestly should not be much of a performance issue.
m
l
!