CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155
CPU fan: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 Pro
Mainboard: ASRock H67DE 3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX
HDD: 2x Western Digital - Caviar Blue - WD10EALX 1TB - 1 TB
RAM: 8GB-Kit Kingston ValueRAM PC3-10667U CL9
Power supply (came with the case): HKC Case 3011GS, ATX, 420Watt
ODD: LiteOn iHAS324-32 schwarz SATA Retail

Here is a picture of my setup: http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8898/cpuuu.jpg

The computer is used for simulation purposes, so it is basically running 24/7. If there is nothing to do, it lends its power to worldcommunitygrid.org.

What happened is that the computer suddenly started to make strange noises. I recorder this with my phone: http://soundcloud.com/mmm23-1/pc-noise-1

I immediately turned off the computer. Later on I switched it back on and the noise was gone, however it returned after an uptime of 19 hours!

When the noise came up again I went looking for all movable parts inside the computer. I removed the power supply of the following components one after another (and put it back on) to hear if it would stop the noise: HDD 1, HDD 2, ODD, CPU fan. I even stuck a pencil in the fan of the power supply unit in order to see if it was causing the noise. I had no luck, I could not stop the noise.

Has anyone a clue what could possibly cause the noise? Can it be a pc speaker malfunction!? Or might it be something inside the power supply unit?

Thanks for your help!

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Looking at your picture, you do not have a lot of "movable" parts in there, basically just the power supply fan and your CPU fan.

When you stopped the power supply fan with the pencil the noise was still there?

If so it is not the power supply, unless it has another fan on the back. If so try to stop that, too. Also do this with the CPU fan (doesn't hurt the CPU if you just stop the fan for a moment).
Preferably use your finger on the middle of the fan and avoid using the pencil since this can "break/scratch" the fan blades which in turn can lead to noise.

If none of the fans is the issue, it can only be one of the HDDs, even though that seems unlikely, since that HDD shouldn't even work anymore. :D

foobot

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
When you stopped the power supply fan with the pencil the noise was still there?
Yes, it was still there.

If so it is not the power supply, unless it has another fan on the back.
No, there is no fan on the back.

Also do this with the CPU fan (doesn't hurt the CPU if you just stop the fan for a moment).
I checked on this, as I wrote in my first post, but the noise won't stop.

If none of the fans is the issue, it can only be one of the HDDs, even though that seems unlikely, since that HDD shouldn't even work anymore.

It could even be the DVD drive which you could unplug to test.

cambridge7

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
foobot, I just found this conversation because I'm pulling all my hairs trying to find the source of a strange noise in my old Dell 3000. I went through the same steps as you and am also baffled. Did you solve your problem? Would you mind uploading the sound file in another way, because the current host won't allow me to download it in my country (USA). Thank you!