Revolution might not play DVD's after all!

Yes, sad as it is, Nintendo has just put something on its site that has
led many to believe that the Revo does not play DVD's.

The story all starts a few days ago, when the world was taken by storm
when the official Nintendo website revealed to everybody the Revo's
size and its ability to play "standard double-layered DVD discs."
However, a few days later, the quote was changed to "Nintendo's legions
of loyal fans will be happy to learn that Revolution will be backward
compatible, playing both Nintendo GameCube 8cm disks along with its own
12cm optical disks in the same self-loading media drive."

What does this mean? Obviously, the reference to DVD's has been taken
out. This means that 1) Nintendo does not want to reveal to much too
soon, or 2), the Revo cannot play DVD's.

Unfortunately, signs point to the latter, and it looks like the Revo's
standard operating media will have more in common with the GameCube's
8cm discs rather than DVD's. The world cries.

although it might be nice to have Revolution play DVD's (maybe so you
wouldn't need another piece of hardware stacked next to your TV), if
keeping it from playing DVD's keeps the price of Revolution down some,
I'd rather do without it.

and since Revolution has the connectivity feature to PC moniters,
people who would use this could still use a PC as a DVD player. Plus
most people already own a DVD player.

Ryan

"Mr. Hams" <hampika1a2@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1116200152.835316.47420@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Yes, sad as it is, Nintendo has just put something on its site that has
> led many to believe that the Revo does not play DVD's.

Is the ability to play DVDs really necessary? Being backward
compatible should be more than enough.

Silly boy, that statement doesn't comfirm anything so just wait til E3
starts before you start shooting your mouth off.

"Mr. Hams" <hampika1a2@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes, sad as it is, Nintendo has just put something on its site that has
> led many to believe that the Revo does not play DVD's.
>
> The story all starts a few days ago, when the world was taken by storm
> when the official Nintendo website revealed to everybody the Revo's
> size and its ability to play "standard double-layered DVD discs."
> However, a few days later, the quote was changed to "Nintendo's legions
> of loyal fans will be happy to learn that Revolution will be backward
> compatible, playing both Nintendo GameCube 8cm disks along with its own
> 12cm optical disks in the same self-loading media drive."
>
> What does this mean? Obviously, the reference to DVD's has been taken
> out. This means that 1) Nintendo does not want to reveal to much too
> soon, or 2), the Revo cannot play DVD's.
>
> Unfortunately, signs point to the latter, and it looks like the Revo's
> standard operating media will have more in common with the GameCube's
> 8cm discs rather than DVD's. The world cries.

Aren't DVD players for playing DVDs while Video Game Consoles are for
playing Video Games?

Man, what is this hard-on some people have with Consoles playing DVDs? very
confusing.

"cee jay" <abuse@msn.com> wrote in message

> "Mr. Hams" <hampika1a2@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, sad as it is, Nintendo has just put something on its site that has
> > led many to believe that the Revo does not play DVD's.
>
> Is the ability to play DVDs really necessary? Being backward
> compatible should be more than enough.

Ash

Mr. Hams wrote:
> Yes, sad as it is, Nintendo has just put something on its site that has
> led many to believe that the Revo does not play DVD's.
>
> The story all starts a few days ago, when the world was taken by storm
> when the official Nintendo website revealed to everybody the Revo's
> size and its ability to play "standard double-layered DVD discs."
> However, a few days later, the quote was changed to "Nintendo's legions
> of loyal fans will be happy to learn that Revolution will be backward
> compatible, playing both Nintendo GameCube 8cm disks along with its own
> 12cm optical disks in the same self-loading media drive."
>
> What does this mean? Obviously, the reference to DVD's has been taken
> out. This means that 1) Nintendo does not want to reveal to much too
> soon, or 2), the Revo cannot play DVD's.
>
> Unfortunately, signs point to the latter, and it looks like the Revo's
> standard operating media will have more in common with the GameCube's
> 8cm discs rather than DVD's. The world cries.

I couldn't care less if it played DVD's - I already own a DVD player,
and most people do, too. What I'd be more interested in is
backwards-compatability. Also, It'd be awsome if every Revolution
console wass progressive scan capable, and had Component connections
standard. Right now, you have to buy a whoe different cube! Sigh ... Oh,
well. S-Video will have to do, for now.

--
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

The original point and click interface was a Smith and Wesson.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but it uses up three thousand times
the memory.

rstruzik@gmail.com wrote:
> although it might be nice to have Revolution play DVD's (maybe so you
> wouldn't need another piece of hardware stacked next to your TV), if
> keeping it from playing DVD's keeps the price of Revolution down some,
> I'd rather do without it.

Some of us use very high-quality DVD players already, so why would I
want to pay more for a game system that has something I already own? A
video game system should be for one thing: playing video games.

Ash wrote:
> I couldn't care less if it played DVD's - I already own a DVD player,
> and most people do, too. What I'd be more interested in is
> backwards-compatability. Also, It'd be awsome if every Revolution
> console wass progressive scan capable, and had Component connections
> standard. Right now, you have to buy a whoe different cube! Sigh ... Oh,
> well. S-Video will have to do, for now.

I wouldn't mind the dvd playing feature but as you say BC is more
important.A nice bonus would be the ability to play both my UK and US
GCN titles on one console on my 19" monitor. Digital surround would also
be a essential feature IMO.

Mr. Hams schrieb:
> Yes, sad as it is, Nintendo has just put something on its site that has
> led many to believe that the Revo does not play DVD's.

Maybe they just don't want to pay the 15 bucks or so of license fees
required for dvd playback? (Most of really cheap dvd players don't pay
them) They could do it the xbox way. No DVD playback out of the box, but
if you buy a remote control that includes the license fee you can use it
as a dvd player. That way everyone should be happy. People who want to
use it as a dvd player can buy the remote and everyone else doesn't have
to pay the dvd license fees for a feature they are not going to use anyway.

Jan

Jan Lucas wrote:
> Mr. Hams schrieb:
>
>> Yes, sad as it is, Nintendo has just put something on its site that has
>> led many to believe that the Revo does not play DVD's.
>

> Maybe they just don't want to pay the 15 bucks or so of license fees
> required for dvd playback? (Most of really cheap dvd players don't pay
> them) They could do it the xbox way. No DVD playback out of the box, but
> if you buy a remote control that includes the license fee you can use it
> as a dvd player. That way everyone should be happy. People who want to
> use it as a dvd player can buy the remote and everyone else doesn't have
> to pay the dvd license fees for a feature they are not going to use anyway.
>
> Jan

What you say makes too much sence for a company to actually do it

One reason for it better without DVD playback is lessen its use, lessen the
chance of breaking down by overuse. And then, if its true then the Rev is
pretty small and so not much room is taken up.

In the end I don't care, just as long the price tag isn't effected.

<rstruzik@gmail.com> wrote in message
> although it might be nice to have Revolution play DVD's (maybe so you
> wouldn't need another piece of hardware stacked next to your TV), if
> keeping it from playing DVD's keeps the price of Revolution down some,
> I'd rather do without it.
>
> and since Revolution has the connectivity feature to PC moniters,
> people who would use this could still use a PC as a DVD player. Plus
> most people already own a DVD player.

> Yes, sad as it is, Nintendo has just put something on its site that has
> led many to believe that the Revo does not play DVD's.

Last generation I felt DVD playback was a very valuable feature. Of course,
back then DVD players were around $250-$300, so having both a console and a
separate DVD player was quite expensive. Now you can find decent progresive
scan DVD players for $40.

TRENDING THREADS