File Types Problem....Please Help...

Hi there. I'm kinda new here.
I messed with the file types in windows xp. i will describe the case:
i wanted to change the icon of a drive (C:\) manually, so i did these steps:
in explorer, tools-->folder options-->file types. there, i went to "Drive" and changed the icon to another one i had.
afterwards, i noticed that when i wanted to open, i.e., drive D from "My Computer", A Search window opened up with the option to search drive D.
the solution i thought of: went again to tools-->folder options-->file types, and in "Drive", besides the command "find" which can't be erased, i added the command "open" with "explorer.exe".
Now, every time i try to open drive D from "My Computer", drive D indeed opens but in a new window. In The "folder options", the general tab, the "open each folder in the same window" is enabled.
The solution i tried: i erased both commands (after backup) "open" and "find" from the file type "Drive" and everything is back to normal.
My QUESTION: is this solution is safe? or is there another safer solution (execpt system restore)?
Thank you.
i don't know what to do.
6 answers Last reply
More about file types problem please help

    Hi,

    If this happens in future, type this in at Start >> Run and everything should come back to normal:

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Oren Farhi" <OrenFarhi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there. I'm kinda new here.
    > I messed with the file types in windows xp. i will describe the case:
    > i wanted to change the icon of a drive (C:\) manually, so i did these steps:
    > in explorer, tools-->folder options-->file types. there, i went to "Drive" and changed the icon to
    > another one i had.
    > afterwards, i noticed that when i wanted to open, i.e., drive D from "My Computer", A Search
    > window opened up with the option to search drive D.
    > the solution i thought of: went again to tools-->folder options-->file types, and in "Drive",
    > besides the command "find" which can't be erased, i added the command "open" with "explorer.exe".
    > Now, every time i try to open drive D from "My Computer", drive D indeed opens but in a new
    > window. In The "folder options", the general tab, the "open each folder in the same window" is
    > enabled.
    > The solution i tried: i erased both commands (after backup) "open" and "find" from the file type
    > "Drive" and everything is back to normal.
    > My QUESTION: is this solution is safe? or is there another safer solution (execpt system restore)?
    > Thank you.
    > i don't know what to do.

    Thank you Both VERY MUCH!!!
    It works.

    : - )

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > If this happens in future, type this in at Start >> Run and everything should come back to normal:
    >
    > regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Oren Farhi" <OrenFarhi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi there. I'm kinda new here.
    > > I messed with the file types in windows xp. i will describe the case:
    > > i wanted to change the icon of a drive (C:\) manually, so i did these steps:
    > > in explorer, tools-->folder options-->file types. there, i went to "Drive" and changed the icon to
    > > another one i had.
    > > afterwards, i noticed that when i wanted to open, i.e., drive D from "My Computer", A Search
    > > window opened up with the option to search drive D.
    > > the solution i thought of: went again to tools-->folder options-->file types, and in "Drive",
    > > besides the command "find" which can't be erased, i added the command "open" with "explorer.exe".
    > > Now, every time i try to open drive D from "My Computer", drive D indeed opens but in a new
    > > window. In The "folder options", the general tab, the "open each folder in the same window" is
    > > enabled.
    > > The solution i tried: i erased both commands (after backup) "open" and "find" from the file type
    > > "Drive" and everything is back to normal.
    > > My QUESTION: is this solution is safe? or is there another safer solution (execpt system restore)?
    > > Thank you.
    > > i don't know what to do.

    In addition:

    You still missing the "Search" menu when you right-click a folder. Re-apply the "Find" reg you backedup and run the command Anando suggested. To know why this problem happened in the first place, see: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    --
    Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    The Parasite Fight:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php

[...]

    Both answers work!!!

    :-)

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > In addition:
    >
    > You still missing the "Search" menu when you right-click a folder. Re-apply the "Find" reg you backedup and run the command Anando suggested. To know why this problem happened in the first place, see: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >
    > The Parasite Fight:
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
    >

    > "Oren Farhi" <OrenFarhi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80C1E91D-2047-4C9F-814B-431016F059E5@microsoft.com...
    > Hi there. I'm kinda new here.
    > I messed with the file types in windows xp. i will describe the case:
    > i wanted to change the icon of a drive (C:\) manually, so i did these steps:
    > in explorer, tools-->folder options-->file types. there, i went to "Drive" and changed the icon to another one i had.
    > afterwards, i noticed that when i wanted to open, i.e., drive D from "My Computer", A Search window opened up with the option to search drive D.
    > the solution i thought of: went again to tools-->folder options-->file types, and in "Drive", besides the command "find" which can't be erased, i added the command "open" with "explorer.exe".
    > Now, every time i try to open drive D from "My Computer", drive D indeed opens but in a new window. In The "folder options", the general tab, the "open each folder in the same window" is enabled.
    > The solution i tried: i erased both commands (after backup) "open" and "find" from the file type "Drive" and everything is back to normal.
    > My QUESTION: is this solution is safe? or is there another safer solution (execpt system restore)?
    > Thank you.
    > i don't know what to do.

    YW. Glad to be of assistance!

    --
    Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    The Parasite Fight:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php

    "Oren Farhi" <OrenFarhi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9662E406-FEE5-40AB-BE68-0B6D3A164C9C@microsoft.com...
    Both answers work!!!

    :-)

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > In addition:
    >
    > You still missing the "Search" menu when you right-click a folder. Re-apply the "Find" reg you backedup and run the command Anando suggested. To know why this problem happened in the first place, see: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >
    > The Parasite Fight:
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
    >

    > "Oren Farhi" <OrenFarhi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80C1E91D-2047-4C9F-814B-431016F059E5@microsoft.com...
    > Hi there. I'm kinda new here.
    > I messed with the file types in windows xp. i will describe the case:
    > i wanted to change the icon of a drive (C:\) manually, so i did these steps:
    > in explorer, tools-->folder options-->file types. there, i went to "Drive" and changed the icon to another one i had.
    > afterwards, i noticed that when i wanted to open, i.e., drive D from "My Computer", A Search window opened up with the option to search drive D.
    > the solution i thought of: went again to tools-->folder options-->file types, and in "Drive", besides the command "find" which can't be erased, i added the command "open" with "explorer.exe".
    > Now, every time i try to open drive D from "My Computer", drive D indeed opens but in a new window. In The "folder options", the general tab, the "open each folder in the same window" is enabled.
    > The solution i tried: i erased both commands (after backup) "open" and "find" from the file type "Drive" and everything is back to normal.
    > My QUESTION: is this solution is safe? or is there another safer solution (execpt system restore)?
    > Thank you.
    > i don't know what to do.

    You are welcome !

    --

    > Thank you Both VERY MUCH!!!
    > It works.
    >
    > : - )
    >
    > "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> If this happens in future, type this in at Start >> Run and everything should come back to
    >> normal:
    >>
    >> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Anando
    >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >> http://www.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Folder customizations
    >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>
    >> Protect your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>

    >> "Oren Farhi" <OrenFarhi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi there. I'm kinda new here.
    >> > I messed with the file types in windows xp. i will describe the case:
    >> > i wanted to change the icon of a drive (C:\) manually, so i did these steps:
    >> > in explorer, tools-->folder options-->file types. there, i went to "Drive" and changed the icon
    >> > another one i had.
    >> > afterwards, i noticed that when i wanted to open, i.e., drive D from "My Computer", A Search
    >> > window opened up with the option to search drive D.
    >> > the solution i thought of: went again to tools-->folder options-->file types, and in "Drive",
    >> > besides the command "find" which can't be erased, i added the command "open" with
    >> > "explorer.exe".
    >> > Now, every time i try to open drive D from "My Computer", drive D indeed opens but in a new
    >> > window. In The "folder options", the general tab, the "open each folder in the same window" is
    >> > enabled.
    >> > The solution i tried: i erased both commands (after backup) "open" and "find" from the file
    >> > type
    >> > "Drive" and everything is back to normal.
    >> > My QUESTION: is this solution is safe? or is there another safer solution (execpt system
    >> > restore)?
    >> > Thank you.
    >> > i don't know what to do.

Configuration Customization Windows XP