File Types Problem....Please Help...

July 14, 2004 4:33:02 AM

Hi there. I'm kinda new here.
I messed with the file types in windows xp. i will describe the case:
i wanted to change the icon of a drive (C:\) manually, so i did these steps:
in explorer, tools-->folder options-->file types. there, i went to "Drive" and changed the icon to another one i had.
afterwards, i noticed that when i wanted to open, i.e., drive D from "My Computer", A Search window opened up with the option to search drive D.
the solution i thought of: went again to tools-->folder options-->file types, and in "Drive", besides the command "find" which can't be erased, i added the command "open" with "explorer.exe".
Now, every time i try to open drive D from "My Computer", drive D indeed opens but in a new window. In The "folder options", the general tab, the "open each folder in the same window" is enabled.
The solution i tried: i erased both commands (after backup) "open" and "find" from the file type "Drive" and everything is back to normal.
My QUESTION: is this solution is safe? or is there another safer solution (execpt system restore)?
Thank you.
i don't know what to do.

More about : file types problem

Anonymous
July 14, 2004 5:23:25 PM

Hi,

If this happens in future, type this in at Start >> Run and everything should come back to normal:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Oren Farhi" <OrenFarhi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there. I'm kinda new here.
> I messed with the file types in windows xp. i will describe the case:
> i wanted to change the icon of a drive (C:\) manually, so i did these steps:
> in explorer, tools-->folder options-->file types. there, i went to "Drive" and changed the icon to
> another one i had.
> afterwards, i noticed that when i wanted to open, i.e., drive D from "My Computer", A Search
> window opened up with the option to search drive D.
> the solution i thought of: went again to tools-->folder options-->file types, and in "Drive",
> besides the command "find" which can't be erased, i added the command "open" with "explorer.exe".
> Now, every time i try to open drive D from "My Computer", drive D indeed opens but in a new
> window. In The "folder options", the general tab, the "open each folder in the same window" is
> enabled.
> The solution i tried: i erased both commands (after backup) "open" and "find" from the file type
> "Drive" and everything is back to normal.
> My QUESTION: is this solution is safe? or is there another safer solution (execpt system restore)?
> Thank you.
> i don't know what to do.
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 5:23:26 PM

Thank you Both VERY MUCH!!!
It works.

: - )

"Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If this happens in future, type this in at Start >> Run and everything should come back to normal:
>
> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Oren Farhi" <OrenFarhi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there. I'm kinda new here.
> > I messed with the file types in windows xp. i will describe the case:
> > i wanted to change the icon of a drive (C:\) manually, so i did these steps:
> > in explorer, tools-->folder options-->file types. there, i went to "Drive" and changed the icon to
> > another one i had.
> > afterwards, i noticed that when i wanted to open, i.e., drive D from "My Computer", A Search
> > window opened up with the option to search drive D.
> > the solution i thought of: went again to tools-->folder options-->file types, and in "Drive",
> > besides the command "find" which can't be erased, i added the command "open" with "explorer.exe".
> > Now, every time i try to open drive D from "My Computer", drive D indeed opens but in a new
> > window. In The "folder options", the general tab, the "open each folder in the same window" is
> > enabled.
> > The solution i tried: i erased both commands (after backup) "open" and "find" from the file type
> > "Drive" and everything is back to normal.
> > My QUESTION: is this solution is safe? or is there another safer solution (execpt system restore)?
> > Thank you.
> > i don't know what to do.

July 14, 2004 5:44:26 PM

In addition:

You still missing the "Search" menu when you right-click a folder. Re-apply the "Find" reg you backedup and run the command Anando suggested. To know why this problem happened in the first place, see: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

The Parasite Fight:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php

[...]
July 14, 2004 5:44:27 PM

Both answers work!!!

:-)

"Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> In addition:
>
> You still missing the "Search" menu when you right-click a folder. Re-apply the "Find" reg you backedup and run the command Anando suggested. To know why this problem happened in the first place, see: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
>
> --
> Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>
> The Parasite Fight:
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
>

> "Oren Farhi" <OrenFarhi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80C1E91D-2047-4C9F-814B-431016F059E5@microsoft.com...
> Hi there. I'm kinda new here.
> I messed with the file types in windows xp. i will describe the case:
> i wanted to change the icon of a drive (C:\) manually, so i did these steps:
> in explorer, tools-->folder options-->file types. there, i went to "Drive" and changed the icon to another one i had.
> afterwards, i noticed that when i wanted to open, i.e., drive D from "My Computer", A Search window opened up with the option to search drive D.
> the solution i thought of: went again to tools-->folder options-->file types, and in "Drive", besides the command "find" which can't be erased, i added the command "open" with "explorer.exe".
> Now, every time i try to open drive D from "My Computer", drive D indeed opens but in a new window. In The "folder options", the general tab, the "open each folder in the same window" is enabled.
> The solution i tried: i erased both commands (after backup) "open" and "find" from the file type "Drive" and everything is back to normal.
> My QUESTION: is this solution is safe? or is there another safer solution (execpt system restore)?
> Thank you.
> i don't know what to do.

Anonymous
July 14, 2004 8:46:28 PM

YW. Glad to be of assistance!

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

The Parasite Fight:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php

"Oren Farhi" <OrenFarhi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9662E406-FEE5-40AB-BE68-0B6D3A164C9C@microsoft.com...
Both answers work!!!

:-)

"Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> In addition:
>
> You still missing the "Search" menu when you right-click a folder. Re-apply the "Find" reg you backedup and run the command Anando suggested. To know why this problem happened in the first place, see: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
>
> --
> Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>
> The Parasite Fight:
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
>

> "Oren Farhi" <OrenFarhi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80C1E91D-2047-4C9F-814B-431016F059E5@microsoft.com...
> Hi there. I'm kinda new here.
> I messed with the file types in windows xp. i will describe the case:
> i wanted to change the icon of a drive (C:\) manually, so i did these steps:
> in explorer, tools-->folder options-->file types. there, i went to "Drive" and changed the icon to another one i had.
> afterwards, i noticed that when i wanted to open, i.e., drive D from "My Computer", A Search window opened up with the option to search drive D.
> the solution i thought of: went again to tools-->folder options-->file types, and in "Drive", besides the command "find" which can't be erased, i added the command "open" with "explorer.exe".
> Now, every time i try to open drive D from "My Computer", drive D indeed opens but in a new window. In The "folder options", the general tab, the "open each folder in the same window" is enabled.
> The solution i tried: i erased both commands (after backup) "open" and "find" from the file type "Drive" and everything is back to normal.
> My QUESTION: is this solution is safe? or is there another safer solution (execpt system restore)?
> Thank you.
> i don't know what to do.

Anonymous
July 15, 2004 12:37:48 AM