Underclocking and undervolting GTX 460

hstpctech

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Hi,

I intend to use an ASUS GTX 460 768MB DirectCU on a desktop which ran around the clock. Obviously most of the time the system will be running a low load (i.e. light browsing, running scheduled tasks etc.), hence my concern for idle power usage. On average the idle time would be at least more than 12 hours.

From what I read GTX 460 will reduce clocks automatically in idle to 400MHz core clock, but how much exactly would that sums up on final wattage usage?

Can I, or do I need to bother and drive that down even further?

And is there any easy way, to switch from the underclock+undervolt state to stock or mildly overclocked speed (i.e. the 700MHz core preset) when needed without having to restart the system? Will I need to use perhaps EVGA Precision or Rivatuner?

cheers,
andy

hstpctech

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010

If I'm not mistaken, idle GTX would add about 30w. I imagine that would approximate to a single lightbulb being turned on for a whole day. Any reduction would be nice for the environment I suppose, since the system would only does lightweight tasks.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
i think idle is closer to 20 w usage, the 768 model was (still is) one of nvidia's most power friendly cards for the amount of power that it can unleash. I have seen SLI reviews where the difference in power from the SLI machine to the NON-SLI machine is like 19W
undervolting/underclocking the card might not make much gains,,, I would suggest getting a Kill-o-watt machine to test your settings. if your machine is only used for running light tasks or scheduled routines, how about setting it up to hibernate, shutdown or sleep more often? I don't know all the details for your situation, but would be more beneficial to saving 5W.
i know hibernate or sleep may not work well for all systems, for mine i find i have to occasionally restart as my upnp server for xbmc doesn't always come back from hibernate.

hstpctech

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Sorry for not being clear...I was meant the system is up 24x7 doing lightweight tasks so there's not really a time for hibernate. And occasionally some Handbrake job in between.

The CPU is already in a very good power saving mode throttling down to 4x at 1.1v, green drives, so the last concern would be on graphic card whether it's a 460 or 6790 as I recently found out nobody carry 460 anymore.

Like you said, even a 5watt savings would be a good thing.

hstpctech

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010

I agree but right now the candidates are 6790 and 460 768MB.. 6790s are plenty right now while 460s are hard to find.