Updated Bios, now will not post

fuganator

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Hello,

I put together my new computer last night and first powerup everything turned on. I went through, installed windows, got everything working good and decided to update my bios as I want to oc. I updated restarted and now I can not get my computer to boot up even to the post screen.

My specs:
Gigabyte z68x-ud3h b3
i5 2500k
8gb corsair vengeance ram
msi gtx560ti twin frozr
corsaire hx650 psu
WS black hdd

One thing I noticed is my hard drive light not coming on on my case. I checked the power cord and the sata cord to make sure everything was good. It worked before I tried to update the bios and didn't work afterwards. Will jumping the cmos reset back to stock or since I tried to update my bios am I going to have to deal with getting a new mobo?

Solution
That board has a dual BIOS, so you should be fine. Try removing the AC power, then your CMOS battery and closing the CLR_CMOS jumper for a few minutes, then move the jumper back, insert the CMOS battery, reconnect power, and try powering it up again. If that doesn't work, check your manual for specifics on booting the alternate BIOS or performing a BIOS recovery.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Firstly, you probably shouldn't have updated your BIOS. This is usually NOT recommended unless its the last resort to fixing a problem.

Secondly, you really should have backedup/made note of your previous version to go back to it pending the current problems you seem to be having.

Thirdly, yes, you can try and leave the CMOS battery out to see if the BIOS resets.

fuganator

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
If I'm not supposed to update my bios, then why do all of the overclocking guides say to update your bios before you start?

Well after looking at the available Bios options on the gigabyte website, I know I
must have version f8. Am I able to download that version and reload it onto my mobo or should I try resetting first?

fuganator

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

That would be wonderful if I could actually get the initial MOBO screen to pop up so I could enter into the bios and use the dual bios option. I am at work and am going to try a few things tonight when I get home but I just wanted to get some ideas before hand.

jReps0l

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I think you are going to have to hope resetting the CMOS will default your board back to its stock BIOS version. If your board will not post, I'm not sure how you will be able to reflash your motherboard.

I would try using the CLR_CMOS jumper before removing the battery to see if it resets your board and lets it post again.

mavroxur

Distinguished
That board has a dual BIOS, so you should be fine. Try removing the AC power, then your CMOS battery and closing the CLR_CMOS jumper for a few minutes, then move the jumper back, insert the CMOS battery, reconnect power, and try powering it up again. If that doesn't work, check your manual for specifics on booting the alternate BIOS or performing a BIOS recovery.

Solution

fuganator

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Thanks for verifying that for me mavroxur. I got home a bit ago, took the battery out and jumped the cmos and voila, came on. No bios updates for me for now. Time to read some more and overclock my cpu/gpu.