Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • World Of Warcraft
  • New Build
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 6, 2011 10:14:19 PM

Ok.. here's another obligatory WoW thread.

I'm planning a new (strictly gaming) build within in the next 2 weeks. I will be going either i5 or i7 (k).

Most of my gaming, at the moment, is in WoW. I'm driving a Dell U3011 @2560x1600, and, obviously, I want to get the game play as smooth as possible with every set to at least High quality (Ultra, if possible)

I've seen various conversations across the net about how WoW does/does not take advantage of SLI/Crossfire with mostly subjective comments. Also, I know that historically Blizzard tends to favor nVidia GPUs, but that (for at least multi-GPU setups) AMD seems to be leading the pack right now.

I have no particular brand loyalty or preference for single or multi, I just want a great experience. My budget isn't unlimited, but I'm willing to throw down in the GPU department to get this. Because of the uncertainly of WoW's GPU usage and lack of benchmark availability at my resolution, I don't know if I should spring for dual 6950s or try a single 580 or what.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

More about : build wow cataclysm play

a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2011 12:10:53 AM

The only limiting factor in your equation is the resolution. I have a Phenom II 955 BE, 9800 gt (3 year old graphics card) and 4gb of memory. I was running Cataclysm at 1650x1080 with 60+ fps in a 25 man raid avg.

The point is that WoW is not a very graphically demanding game. I would say save money on the gpu and spend it on the cpu/memory, but seeing as you are already going with a top of the line processor, know yourself out on the gpu! Btw, get a i5-2500k and oc it. It matches any i7 cpu in gaming performance and you save yourself a hundred bucks.

As for the gpu, I would say go for a GTX 570. It has great bang for your buck, it will last you a very long time, especially if all you are doing is playing WoW mostly. Think though, more of the game you will be playing after WoW dies down, remember its an 8 yeard old game.

I would save the money from a 580 to be honest. Its not worth it considering in a game like wow, you won't notice a difference between 120 fps and 150 fps. Hell most people dont notice a difference after 30 fps anyways. Then down the road, once you eventually see your GTX570 start to struggle a bit, add another one and then your system will be set for another year or so.

m
l
July 8, 2011 6:39:32 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Good advice on the i5. I had been leaning that direction, but looking at deals, of course.

I'm down with the not noticing the delta between 120 and 150.. but, I think if I could get 120 maxed out, I'd be way more than happy. That's where the uncertainty came in. A couple times I've considered downgrading my display and making this a non-issue, but part of me thinks that's crazy talk. :) 

Tom's Cataclysm performance guide from 12/10 showed the 580 (@Ultra) pulling ~94frames in their test.. but that test is not representative of a raid with everything flying.

Anyway.. I appreciate the feedback. More data to think about is what I was looking for.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2011 6:48:27 PM

Dzen said:
Thanks for the reply!

Good advice on the i5. I had been leaning that direction, but looking at deals, of course.

I'm down with the not noticing the delta between 120 and 150.. but, I think if I could get 120 maxed out, I'd be way more than happy. That's where the uncertainty came in. A couple times I've considered downgrading my display and making this a non-issue, but part of me thinks that's crazy talk. :) 

Tom's Cataclysm performance guide from 12/10 showed the 580 (@Ultra) pulling ~94frames in their test.. but that test is not representative of a raid with everything flying.

Anyway.. I appreciate the feedback. More data to think about is what I was looking for.

Yeah, for that resolution, any gpu is going to go a little crazy trying to cover that much space. Hell, since you are already going all out on the processor aspect (and 8gb ram I hope), go for it and get the gtx580. It will no doubt perform amzingly no matter what you throw at it. The only deciding factor in any gpu buying decision is the price.. and nvidea vs amd. Since you are considering getting a 580, which means you most likely have the money and are willing to spend that much on it, I say go for it and get yourself some eyegasm.
m
l
July 8, 2011 11:13:30 PM

Not to make you sad, but I don't care what computer build you have you will still have instances on WoW where you drop below 60fps. This is due to all of the information being sent back and forth and how stupidly the game is coded. I have 2600k @ 4.5ghz with Dual 560 ti's and while it is rare sometimes I do dip under 60fps (most of the time I am cruising around around 150-160, however I play with V-Sync on for smoother playback.)

typically you won't drop unless you are standing in the middle of a pack of aoe on 10+ monsters with 25-40 people around in an area with a lot of moving effects (fire, lava etc).
m
l
July 13, 2011 8:50:57 PM

Thanks, elrui!

That doesn't make me sad ;)  I'm not expecting to pull 60fps at the SW auction house.. I've just grown tired of dropping into <20fps just flying through Teldrassil.. and big battles in AV and Isle are sometime dropping me to 7fps..

m
l
July 14, 2011 9:50:15 PM

Dzen,

For sure, the firelands were bogging my old i5 650 down to under 30fps and it was getting old. With the new processor and 560ti i never dip below 45, huge difference. This is only at the most extreme situations in firelands with loads of AOE going around with me standing in the middle of it.
m
l
!