Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dell GX620 Boot Problem, Hardware?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 7, 2011 4:01:10 PM

Hi all. i have an issue with a GX620, Pent D 3GHz small form factor, WXP machine. It stopped booting into windows. I can get to the setup and exit when accessing all options except the SATA information where it hangs (SATA HD connected). Pulled the cmos battery and on restart bios says "previous fan failure..and..low cmos battery" but nothing in setup-maintenance-event log. I don't know of any fan issue. The power supply fan and system fans both spin. I swapped the memory, pulled the dvd rom and floppy drives. Moved the usb mouse and keyboard to other ports with no success. When I try to boot from Dell utilities dvd, w98 boot diskette, or winpe I only get so far (eg. w98 boot disk_stops at writing virutal disk c:....winpe and W7 install cd stops at writing drive F: 'extcd001' unit 0.......at this point the numbers on the front indicate 1 3,4 which seems like it could indicate a memory issue. I have swapped modules, kept only one at a time in, etc but i never get any new result.

I'd like to know how to determine if the hardware is bad if I can't load a utility dvd/cd/diskette or if anyone has any ideas how to move forward.

tnx in advance!
a c 102 à CPUs
December 7, 2011 4:17:44 PM

You could try running a version of Linux that runs from a CD or flash drive, if this runs see if it recognises the hard drive as being there
Score
December 7, 2011 7:16:56 PM

Tnx..when i try to boot into anything, the pc hangs. i'm not sure what it tries to do and fail but i suspect it needs to write to RAM and can't. When booting from a Ubuntu CD, the GUI show for a bit then it tries to fully boot into the system and i get a flashing cursor and black screen hang. W98 boot diskette, wxp install cd, dell utility cd....the bootup process either hangs or when I select a boot option the system reverts right back into a new POST like in a loop. I've swapped mem modules...not sure what this could be.
Score
Related resources
December 8, 2011 2:24:21 AM

ksdst1 said:
Tnx..when i try to boot into anything, the pc hangs. i'm not sure what it tries to do and fail but i suspect it needs to write to RAM and can't. When booting from a Ubuntu CD, the GUI show for a bit then it tries to fully boot into the system and i get a flashing cursor and black screen hang. W98 boot diskette, wxp install cd, dell utility cd....the bootup process either hangs or when I select a boot option the system reverts right back into a new POST like in a loop. I've swapped mem modules...not sure what this could be.

Do you have a spare Power Supply to try swapping in? This could be an issue. If that doesn't help, your motherboard is most likely going bad. Luckily they are not too tough to find for that system.
Score
December 8, 2011 5:38:11 PM

tnx for the suggestion. actually a person on a dell forum mentioned; The Dell Optiplex 745s, 270s, 280s and others from that same time period have this problem. www.ccl-la.com/.../dell-optiplex-gx620-motherboard-repa... So I'm going to assume that is the problem as i have had similar issues with a past dell model and capacitors. These are a bit bulged.
Score

Best solution

December 8, 2011 6:14:52 PM

If it is a capacitor bulge, then your local TV or radio repair shop can replace them for you. I've got an electronics guy who does it for my shop at least twice a month for customer motherboards. He just did 2 for me this week and both are running good as new. You can also get them to use higher quality caps than the ones that came on the board for an extra buck or two.

Good luck!
December 15, 2011 12:11:22 PM

Best answer selected by ksdst1.
Score
!