Rig for Strictly After Effects CS4

radhitya

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Ok guys I wanna get a rig strictly for After Effects CS4. I'm planning to get it for 64 bit since I can have overkill RAM. Yes I'm gonna be using Microsoft OS.

I already have a plan for the components but I need your feedback. So here's the stuff :

My Budget is around $400

Motherboard : MSI 760GM-E51
Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 840 (Adobe recommends 4 cores, getting 6 cores is too much)
RAM : ......<4GB
Graphic Card : GAINWARD GT240 512MB DDR3 V2 or SAPPHIRE HD 5450 (I know that After Effects CS4 doesnt need an extreme GPU, as I'm also not going to use it for 3D or stuff. As long as it supports OpenGL).

Please give me feedback and opinions. Thanks in advance.

A single 4GB stick (to start) might be a good plan -- memory and disk I/O is where you may gain your best performance bumps in AE CS4. Hopefully, not too far down the road you could snag a second stick for around $20.

There are 2 versions of that motherboard -- one is an AM3+ which will support Bulldozer. I'm guessing you knew that and have planned accordingly.

The PhII 955BE is only another $10 (they have another special going on) - the extra cache would probably help, though the 95w 840 has some great potential. I've set one up and it is a dandy chip.

But so is the 955 - LOL

radhitya

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

Thanks for the feedback, yes regarding the processor I didn't want to go to far since AE is much focused on RAM and cache. Other than that what do you think about the GPU ?