PCI-E x1 GPU

Sick Jargon

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
I wouldn't worry about the PCIe version. You can find pretty good backward compatible cards that will work well but...

If people are to help you, you're going to need to give more information about your system.

Your PSU, RAM, CPU would be useful information to have.

Ovazealous

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
I actually didn't know GPU can use AGP, if there is a good card, then please recommend. (as long as it works with the motherboard)

The CPU is a single core with 2 threads, Pentium 4 at 3.0GHz.
It has 2GB RAM with some horrible integrated graphics that can't display 1920x1080. (the resolution of all the monitors I have), the reason I want a new card is so I can run this at native resolutions of the monitor and also for a bit of gaming. Motherboard is above (first post)
It has a 350W PSU. That's really all I can say as my dad just picked this up from his work as a computer they were giving away. This is for my sister as she is using an even worse system and this is a small upgrade. (celeron... Very old)

Ovazealous

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
I'd probably spend under $50. The priority is to get a GPU that can display 1920 x 1080. Maybe something that can play Age of Empires 3 at reasonable frames, nothing too super crazy - else I'd just use my computer.

Just need to be sure that the AGP can fit up with the slot on the Mobo.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=256-A8-N542-T2&cpc=SCH

Descent old card pretty cheap. Should work fine in your AGP 4x/8x 1.5v slot (the top dark grey one) assuming you have a full size case and not some slim line thing that only takes low profile cards.

That card does recommend a 350w power supply you probably should make sure you have enough power before doing anything.

Have you looked at the thread I linked to in my first reply? If power is an issue you can cut the slot and get a gt 220 or something.

Ovazealous

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
I have had a look - I had no idea you can just simply cut the slot, I would prefer to get an older card that fits - but I can actually get the GT220 for only $30, but is it worth the risk modifying the slot?