Mathias_DK

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Hi.

I am thinking of buying a new gaming PC, But i dont know if i should get an Intel 2500K or an AMD FX6100 or Phenom 2 X6 1090T.

Thanks for any replies.

Best regards Mathias

PS. what would be a good motherboard for one of those cards.

xtreme5

Distinguished
then go with 2500k no doubt it can beat these two easily.
a good motherboard is depending on your budget? anyway these are the good..

1.asus p8z68 v-pro
2.asrock z68 extreme4

Welve

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
i5 2500k is the best performer of that group

1090T or Phenom II X4 980 are strong performers as well if your budget is stretched thin with the i5

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Phenom II X6 1090T is still better than most of AMD's new bulldozer CPUs. That being said, AMD can't really beat Intel's Sandy Bridge in terms of performance. However, AMD still has a pretty nice price advantage and you normally do not need more power than what an AMD CPU can provide. If money is not an issue, go with Sandy Bridge.

Motherboard depends on various things, like if you want to go crossfire/SLI or not, ...

The Intel® Core™ i5-2500K is about the best gaming processor on the market right now. Matched up with a good Z68 board and you can get some outstanding performance at a price that is very reasonable.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Mathias_DK

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks for the answers everybody!

But wouldn't it be quite cheaper to build and AMD PC... and which graphics card should i get, i was thinking of gtx 560 TI or Radeon 6950.

should i get a motherboard with PCIe 3.0 or 2.0

the PSU will be Corsair Builder Series CX600 V2
And the RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x 4GB DDR3.
i am a little unsure about the case but i am thinking of cooler master storm scout

again thanks for the answers guys..

cheers Mathas

xtreme5

Distinguished
i'm telling you stay with i5 it's better than all of AMD chip's
you should get pci-e 3.0 for future all previous pci-e will on work this but previous pci-e cant work with 3.0.

Welve

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
On your budget you should be able to get an i5 relatively easily

plus the phenom II line is being discontinued, so the prices got jacked, the 1100T is now 200 on newegg

are you from Denmark Mathias? I ask because of the _DK. Is AMD cheaper there than Intel by a large margin? Just curious.

I am a big AMD fan, but I don't like bulldozer, currently I am using a Phenom II X4 980 with a small OC to 4 GHz and I haven't had any problems in games or anything; however, the intel i5 2500k is a better chip in terms of performance and the cost difference in the US is marginal, especially with your budget.

for RAM 16gb is nice I guess, but more than necessary I would say unless you do some heavy photoshopping or something, save yourself 50 bucks, go with 8gb and get the i5 with the money you save.

PCIe 3.0 is not used by any graphics card out at the moment, so unless you don't upgrade your motherboard in your next build (50/50 shot imo) it is wasted.

I have seen the cooler master storm scout in person and I am not particularly impressed, the current iteration of cards are long and it only supprts cards up to 10.5 inches (my 6970 is almost 11.5 inches) and I dislike the poor cable management. Check out the Corsair Carbide 500r, I have fallen in love with my case lol...All cables hidden, huge fan for great airflow, beautiful look. I used to think spending a premium on a case was dumb, but this is a case I will build in for YEARS, Corsair will be hard pressed to make something I want to build in more than this. It even supports liquid cooling.

As far as graphics cards are concerned I think the 6950 outperforms the 560 Ti by a little, but EVGA is the best company to buy graphics cards from, they are a bigger boon to nVidia than their development team imo. Do what you want, I am sure either way you will be satisfied (my 6970 is Gigabyte and I am satisfied with it).

Mathias_DK

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Welve: I am from Denmark yes, and here in Denmark the 1090T is about 222 USD and the 2500K is 268 USD.

I found 16GB vengeance RAM for about 100 USD and 8 GB RAM costs about 70 USD

Mathias

Welve

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
so, about 17% cheaper than Intel then, I would say that is probably a fair premium to pay for the i5

What is your upgrade schedule, how often do you build new computers?

Mathias_DK

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Not very often it is because there are some problems with my current PC's Motherboard, so that i can't change the graphics card so i am building a new PC which there hopefully won't be so much trouble with, and so it can run the games to come.

Mathias

Welve

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
if you are on an infrequent upgrade schedule, stick to the i5, it's performance is better now, so it will be better later, if it delays you needing an upgrade for a year then it is worth it.

Welve

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011

things are more expensive in denmark, the i5 alone is 268, about 20% higher than here in the US, even a 1200 dollar budget there is the equivalent of less than 1000 here if that pricing is consistent across all parts

Mathias_DK

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
So i found this deal on a Danish website where you get: -Intel® Core™ i5-2500K
- ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
- Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 8GB
And some Anti static arm chain i don't know what that is......

Well it costs around 524 USD

What do you guys think think about that deal.

-Mathias

Welve

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Yeah good stuff Mathias. The anti-static arm chain is to prevent shocks to the PC's components which will ruin them. A more common way to do this is to ground yourself on the metal of the case you are building in, but the armband will be nice to have. Don't worry about the added expense, it is probably 2 or 3 dollars max.

Anti static is to ground yourself so you do not damage your components. Before installing/removing any components make sure you ground yourself or wear that chain!

Mathias_DK

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Ok thanks everybody for the answers.

One of my friends are telling me that the 2500K is "Outdated" and i should go for a I7 2600K instead he says that the 2500K will only last for a year or two.

-Mathias

dunkelsniger

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Hej Mathias,
I think you should go for the 2500k, don´t worry about it being "outdated". The gaming performance between the I7 and I5 is not something it think you will notice, as long as you got a great graphics card. God jul!