Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Onboard Audio hanging?

Last response: in Components
December 7, 2011 5:32:16 PM

Ok I got a weird problem going on here. Today I noticed that when i was playing music and then opened Firefox my music seriously sounded like this for 2 seconds "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" then it went back to playing the song :(  Also last night I was playing Skyrim and it kept crashing on me and sending me back to the desktop. Now i could be tripping but i think the audio sounded funny the first time it happened. Anyways not sure where to begin at diagnosing this problem. I instyalled new audio drivers. Im thinking that it may have something to do with my hard drives maybe since my music and OS is on seperate hard drives. Maybe its a delay on the hard drive? It seems to happen when i have music going and then open a application. I can't replicate it though which is annoying. Not sure whats going on here. I got a i7 950, 6 gigs so it surely can't be getting bottlenecked. Its weird cause I think it happens when accessing the 2 hard drives together :(  So something is hanging.

So i got my list of things that i think it could be:
1. Audio Driver
2. Hard Drive performance or somewhere along those lines(my hard drives are like 7 years old now or more)
3. Sata ports? (God i hope that isnt a problem)
4. Maybe a Bios glitch?

I got the Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 (rev. 1.0).

More about : onboard audio hanging

December 7, 2011 6:09:09 PM

Only thing you can do is have Task Manager (or better yet, Process Explorer) open and see if you have another process that jumps in usage when this happens.
Score

Best solution

December 7, 2011 7:38:27 PM

My money goes on hard drive. If you're on Windows 7 you can open the resource monitor and watch it while you're using all these programs. Disk usage, and what the % is of Highest Active Time.

My bet is that you're maxing out your disks when this is happening.
You possibly have a disk failing, I'd run a check disk or grab SeaTools and have it test the drives if they aren't at 100% usage, or so.
Related resources
December 7, 2011 8:00:58 PM

Ok thats what im thinking. I got a old 250 gig drive that I had from my Gateway from like 2001 and I bought the other 500 gig drive at the sametime. Im really starting to think thats my problem. Maybe its cause of the disk cache maybe? Hmm I think its about time to get a 1TB and just partition it into 2 drives. If I were to open the task manager and watch, it could take awhile because I can't replicate it. It just seems to happen now and then.

Thx guys for some reply's :) 
Score
December 7, 2011 8:02:02 PM

Best answer selected by mrkeith.
Score
!