Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading integrated graphics (Need opinions on low-profile cards)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 7, 2011 1:04:08 AM

Hi all,

I am very ignorant when it comes to graphics cards, and I recently bought a new computer. My old one had an NVidia 9600 GSO card in it, and the case was quite big. This new one, however, is an Acer Aspire 3960 which has a *very* small case, and my 9600 will not fit in it. I know it will be a challenge to find one that can fit in this small of a case (and with such a small power supply), I hope someone can help me.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as I figure out which to get

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (games as varied as Half Life 2 to Crysis), watching movies

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: NVIDIA GEForce 9600 GSO, 220w Power Supply I believe (yeah I know)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
Processor: Intel Core i3 2100
4GB DDR3 RAM

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, tigerdirect.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: Prefer NVIDIA

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Must fit inside the undersized case
July 7, 2011 2:13:36 AM

Best solution

a c 139 U Graphics card
July 7, 2011 4:34:21 AM

Unless your most heavy graphics use is workstation applications, discard the Quadro cards from consideration. They are not well suited to gaming, they are optimized for workstation applications only. Of all the cards listed the Radeon HD 5770 is the most powerful, however unless the online retailers messed up the photograph that does not appear to be a low profile card, and likely won't fit in a slimline case. Same with the 5750 you listed. The Radeon HD 5670 is the most powerful card on your list that actually appears to be low profile.

You also definitely need a new PSU, 220 Watts isn't enough to run any decent video card. The 5670, which is the lowest card I'd recommend for gaming at your resolution would probably not run on a 220 watt PSU, at best it would run but with a severe risk of overtaxing the power supply, along with increased risk of the PSU blowing out. You could put in a lower end card like an HD 4350, but that would be a downgrade compared to your 9600 GSO. A low profile HD 5570 would be about equivalent to your 9600 GSO, with only 220 watts to work with, that would still be pushing it.
Related resources
July 7, 2011 4:42:46 AM

Best answer selected by jimazir.
July 7, 2011 4:42:59 AM

Thanks very much for shedding some light on the situation.
!