tylor900

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I've had my CPU for about 5+ years now. It does have a liquid cooling unit w/ heat sink on it. I've never took it out to clean it nor have i taken it out to renew the thermal paste over the past 5+ years. Just a little background before i go into detail.

The problem started about 2 months ago. I noticed when i was playing games my frame rates would drop dramatically (Running a smooth 60 FPS then dropping to about 10 fps 15 fps constantly). So i went to download a software to check my CPU temp. The temps were about 93 degrees Celsius for the core of my CPU. All of my other temps for GPU and etc were fine and normal. And a few times my CPU would over heat so much that it automatically shut my computer down. Now i also noticed while playing games the CPU fan would make this loud rumbling sound (like it was over working its self) and that's when i noticed the frame rates would drop on my games. But i seemed to ignore the problem for a couple of months.

Well recently about a week ago I was playing a game when all of a sudden my computer just completely shut down in the middle of a game. I tried turning it back on after letting it rest for a couple of minutes (because i thought the CPU over heated again) and when i turned it back on the monitor displays a "no signal input".

So i took everything a part and took out the processor and noticed there was barely any thermal paste left on it. So i cleaned the CPU with alcohol and bought thermal paste and applied a SMALL amount and spread if around, reconnected everything but nothing. Same problem screen is still showing a "no signal input" message. I thought it was the video card also. I had another spare video card and plugged that in but same problem. Also i know its not the monitor because i tested it on other computers and it works fine. And i know its not my motherboard because the lights and everything turn on. The computer its self STILL turns on but doesn't display anything. I think my CPU just completely died.

Could this mean my CPU has just worn out and gone bad after over heating constantly for a couple of months? Help please.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

After 5 years it could be a wide range of things I suppose, now I'm no genius so please take my answer with a pinch of salt and wait for somebody else to reply. Maybe the PSU is dead. If you press the power button and nothing happens then it might be the PSU. Or you might do diagnosed it correctly after all 90C is hot for a processor, any idea how long it was running at this temp.

(Again I'm still learning the ropes of diagnostic so if anyone has a better idea could you tell me why please ;) thanks)

tylor900

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Well i forgot to mention that i have replaced the gpu ram and psu over the years only thing that is 5+ yrs is the cpu and motherboard. The comp still turns on just not displaying a screen. The cpu ran those temps nearly all day for a couple of months till recently.

tylor900

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Could that be it? I dont think so, i got the PSU a couple months ago and all was fine. I needed a new CPU anyway because my games did run smoothly it was just the CPU over working its self way too much over the past year and to constantly run those 90+C temps for a couple of months i think it just died out on me. Im ordering a new CPU to test if thats it. It is the same exact one it only cost me 20$ so ill let you know if anything happens and if it was the CPU. Ill keep this up to date. Any other suggestions are fine.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

After 5 years maybe time for an upgrade anyway?

tylor900

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Yup it sure is, i just want to make sure that it is indeed the CPU before i continue with anything else. Everything else is up to date except the CPU and mobo my guess is the cpu just died after constant 90C+ temps and gave out.

Any suggestions on what to do to put in the new CPU i just got?

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Price is always a massive factor when looking at a new build, the 2500k is decent from what I have seen. I use the AMD Phenom II 1055t and it's decent also.

tylor900

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Ok thanks. Ill be sure to keep this updated whenever i get my cpu to see if that was the problem.

tylor900

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Yea my guess is also the CPU as well. It was running 90C temps at all time even in idle for months. Prob just wore out but i will try a new psu if the replacement cpu doeant work. Ill keep updated.

wezzacas

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
if your going to buy a new cpu try to stear clear of the amd fx series its sound as if you like to game?. fx's are good cpu's but for gaming performance you need to get a sandy bridge cpu i have the 2500k i5 cpu for the money its a dream if you want to save money you can get the i5 2500 (saving around $5-$10) but considering your system is 5+ years old even an i3 would show you some (sexy) performance

tylor900

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Ok ran into another problem. I got the cpu today and i put it in with heatsink etc. Put everything back in and now no lights on mobo and cant even turn on power to computer. What happened. Think its a psu problem.

tylor900

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
PROBLEM FIXED!!! So after all it was just ONE faulty RAM stick and the system wouldn't boot. I left one good RAM stick in there and got it all too boot fine and normal. And now that I have the new CPU games run much smoother, Thanks all for the help :D