User Pictures

Just a small thing is annoying me. I can not change a
user account picture, the following message appears 'the
system cannot find the specified file'. I know that the
files are present and when I try to use a personal
picture nothing happens. Hope you an help.

Thanks
Adrian
7 answers Last reply
More about user pictures

    Hi Adrian,

    Are the pictures displayed when you click the "Change Picture" option? When does the error occur exactly?

    Restore the default user account pictures
    Line 58: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    or
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/Default_Pictures.zip

    Extract the pics to this location:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures

    --
    Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    The Parasite Fight:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php

    "Adrian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2cc4201c46996$f17a9510$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    Just a small thing is annoying me. I can not change a
    user account picture, the following message appears 'the
    system cannot find the specified file'. I know that the
    files are present and when I try to use a personal
    picture nothing happens. Hope you an help.

    Thanks
    Adrian

    When I click on the user then click change the picture, the pictures are present here, however when I select a picture and then click change picture the message appears. Also when I was setting up this user I was not allocated a picture so beside the user is currently a box with a red X. The pictures are in the default folder.

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi Adrian,
    >
    > Are the pictures displayed when you click the "Change Picture" option? When does the error occur exactly?
    >
    > Restore the default user account pictures
    > Line 58: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > or
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/Default_Pictures.zip
    >
    > Extract the pics to this location:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >
    > The Parasite Fight:
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
    >

    > "Adrian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2cc4201c46996$f17a9510$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > Just a small thing is annoying me. I can not change a
    > user account picture, the following message appears 'the
    > system cannot find the specified file'. I know that the
    > files are present and when I try to use a personal
    > picture nothing happens. Hope you an help.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Adrian

    Adrian,

    See if you are able to create files in this folder. (to test if this is due to Permissions issue)

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures
    and here
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures

    You need 'Write' access to the 1st one.

    --

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi Adrian,
    >
    > Are the pictures displayed when you click the "Change Picture" option? When does the error occur exactly?
    >
    > Restore the default user account pictures
    > Line 58: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > or
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/Default_Pictures.zip
    >
    > Extract the pics to this location:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >
    > The Parasite Fight:
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
    >

    > "Adrian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2cc4201c46996$f17a9510$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > Just a small thing is annoying me. I can not change a
    > user account picture, the following message appears 'the
    > system cannot find the specified file'. I know that the
    > files are present and when I try to use a personal
    > picture nothing happens. Hope you an help.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Adrian

    Ramesh,

    Yes, I can create and save files to both these folders.

    Adrian

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > Adrian,
    >
    > See if you are able to create files in this folder. (to test if this is due to Permissions issue)
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures
    > and here
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures
    >
    > You need 'Write' access to the 1st one.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >
    > The Parasite Fight:
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
    >

    > "Adrian" <Adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE713944-0949-4AAE-B17E-D6BE3FDC3933@microsoft.com...
    > When I click on the user then click change the picture, the pictures are present here, however when I select a picture and then click change picture the message appears. Also when I was setting up this user I was not allocated a picture so beside the user is currently a box with a red X. The pictures are in the default folder.
    >
    > "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Adrian,
    > >
    > > Are the pictures displayed when you click the "Change Picture" option? When does the error occur exactly?
    > >
    > > Restore the default user account pictures
    > > Line 58: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > > or
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/Default_Pictures.zip
    > >
    > > Extract the pics to this location:
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP Shell/User
    > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    > >
    > > The Parasite Fight:
    > > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
    > >

    > > "Adrian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2cc4201c46996$f17a9510$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > > Just a small thing is annoying me. I can not change a
    > > user account picture, the following message appears 'the
    > > system cannot find the specified file'. I know that the
    > > files are present and when I try to use a personal
    > > picture nothing happens. Hope you an help.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Adrian

    Copy a BMP file from:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\

    and rename it to your user account name (say..Adrian). If there is a file with the same name, overwrite it.

    Are the changes reflected in Control Panel User Accounts?

    --

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > Adrian,
    >
    > See if you are able to create files in this folder. (to test if this is due to Permissions issue)
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures
    > and here
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures
    >
    > You need 'Write' access to the 1st one.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >
    > The Parasite Fight:
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
    >

    > "Adrian" <Adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE713944-0949-4AAE-B17E-D6BE3FDC3933@microsoft.com...
    > When I click on the user then click change the picture, the pictures are present here, however when I select a picture and then click change picture the message appears. Also when I was setting up this user I was not allocated a picture so beside the user is currently a box with a red X. The pictures are in the default folder.
    >
    > "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Adrian,
    > >
    > > Are the pictures displayed when you click the "Change Picture" option? When does the error occur exactly?
    > >
    > > Restore the default user account pictures
    > > Line 58: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > > or
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/Default_Pictures.zip
    > >
    > > Extract the pics to this location:
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP Shell/User
    > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    > >
    > > The Parasite Fight:
    > > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
    > >

    > > "Adrian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2cc4201c46996$f17a9510$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > > Just a small thing is annoying me. I can not change a
    > > user account picture, the following message appears 'the
    > > system cannot find the specified file'. I know that the
    > > files are present and when I try to use a personal
    > > picture nothing happens. Hope you an help.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Adrian

    Yes, the changes reflected in Control Panel User Accounts, but I can't change the picture automatically, not really a problem but would like to know what the problem may be.

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > or
    > > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/Default_Pictures.zip
    > > >
    > > > Extract the pics to this location:
    > > > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    > > > Windows XP Shell/User
    > > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    > > >
    > > > The Parasite Fight:
    > > > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
    > > >

    > > > "Adrian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2cc4201c46996$f17a9510$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > > > Just a small thing is annoying me. I can not change a
    > > > user account picture, the following message appears 'the
    > > > system cannot find the specified file'. I know that the
    > > > files are present and when I try to use a personal
    > > > picture nothing happens. Hope you an help.

    Umm. could not repro the problem. Shall post if I get any hint.