Is this prebuilt configuration a good setup for mid-range gaming?

matthewjer18

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Note: I have neither the patience nor the inclination to build my own system, since the cost of the materials coupled with my high anxiety would make it borderline nightmarish. Therefore, I'm asking only for feedback on this prebuilt configuration and not any suggestions that I build an alternative system myself.

I am purchasing from CyberPowerPC.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
HDD: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] GigaByte Z68AP-D3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Intel Smart Response Tech. & 7.1 Dolby Home Theater Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, mSATA Connector onboard, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (All Venom OC Certified)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card

---

This PC would only be utilized for mid-range gaming (LotR and WoW), and perhaps some Call of Duty on the side. Do those specs meet the mark?

Yes it looks like a very nice system. I would think that they didnt put on a 3rd party HSF (heatsink/fan) so if you are going to overclock the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K you going to want to check and if you need one pick up a good 3rd party HSF before you overclock.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

matthewjer18

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I understand that, but given my general inexperience in that area and the fact that I'd ultimately end up hiring someone else to finish it anyway (seriously: I can hardly even put two and two together when it comes to basic wiring), I'm willing to admit that I'll be paying more to just configure what I want with someone else.

Any other thoughts on this setup? I'd rather not make a blind purchase without knowing if it will fulfil its mid-range purpose well enough.

matthewjer18

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

Thanks, I will certainly take that advice into account.

cybneo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I just did a similar build. I advise HDD: SATA-III 6.0Gb/s. i didnt think it would make a big diff. But when your copying large game installs, it makes a world of difference.

Also when you order the RAM, make sure you order 2x2 GB Sticks. So its easier to upgrade to 8 GB later. Most motherboard have only 4 RAM slots.

G

Yeah it should definitely run those things easily. However, I would recommend trying to upgrade your RAM in the near future to 8GB. RAM is just getting cheaper and cheaper nowadays.