Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Editing PC build (and a little gaming)

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 7, 2011 8:45:32 PM

Hi guys,
hope u'll undestand my English.

I wanted to build for my first time a PC at the end of this month or even the first days of October. I will buy pieces in Europe, still havent decided on which site.

My budget is about £1300, without screen, keyboard, mouse and speakers that i have already (and they are quite new).

Main purpose in video editing and rendering, 2d only, and even some gaming seen that in october and november great titles will come out.

Yes, i want to OC. :bounce: 

I have only decided about one thing: i love the Chase mk-1 from thermaltake, that will be my case!

So, i am quite informed about it, but still i have a great doubt: should i choose either a p67 chipset or a z68?

I will write an example of build i had in mind.

CHIPSET Z68

Intel i7 2600K
Asrock extreme4 z68 ( probably Gen 3)
noctua NH-D14
DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X 1.5V CL9 (2x4GB)
VGA: either a MSI Geforce 560 GTX Ti Twin Frozr II/OC 1024MB DDR5,880/4200,DVI,mini-HDMI 912-V238-074 or a gtx 580 (still haven't decided for a brand).
SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb
Storage: SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 7200RPM 1TB
PSU: CORSAIR 750W CMPSU AX750 pro gold

O.S. Windows 7 Home premium 64bit

CHIPSET P67

Intel i7 2600k
Asus P8p67 PRO (if you have any suggestion about the mobo plz tell me!)
noctua NH-D14
DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X 1.5V CL9 (2x4GB)
VGA: Gtx 580
SSD: Crucial M4 128gb
Storage: SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 7200RPM 1TB
PSU: CORSAIR 750W CMPSU AX750 pro gold

Which one would you think would be most performing in video editing? :sol: 

My doubts come from the fact that Virtu still doesnt work perfectly on every machine. As i have known, the most performing mode for editing and rendering is I-mode (integrated graphics as primary), which mode is the most troubleshooted.
Of course, as any person, i would like to have a stable system. :sol:  :na: 

So i am open to your suggestion! :D  ;) 

More about : editing build gaming

September 7, 2011 8:57:21 PM

Everything being equal the Z68 board would give you a very, very, small performance increase. Based on the SSD that you have selected you are planning to use it as a boot drive on both builds, so the Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) won’t give you an advantage. The largest SSD that can be used in the Intel SRT is only 64GB. While the Intel® Quick Sync might give you a small for some of your graphics work I didn’t could that as a performance boost on this build. So then it comes down to the last difference between the P67 and Z68 chipset and that is that the Z68 is using an Intel SATA III controller, which accounting to reports that I have read give better performance than the old Marvell controller that was used on the P67 chipset. Since this isn’t a major performance improvement I only give it a very small advantage.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
September 8, 2011 6:58:18 AM

Thank you very much for your answer...It cleared a lot of doubts. :na:  :wahoo:  :wahoo: 

Therefore I'll choose a P67 Chipset motherboard.

So any suggestion about my configuration:

Intel i7 2600k
Asus P8p67 PRO (if you have any suggestion about the mobo plz tell me!)
noctua NH-D14
DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X 1.5V CL9 (2x4GB)
VGA: Gtx 580
SSD: Crucial M4 128gb
Storage: SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 7200RPM 1TB
PSU: CORSAIR 750W CMPSU AX750 pro gold

On a forum a guy told me that the gtx 580 has an architecture similiar to the Quadro's one. Obviously I know it is not specific for video editing and rendering, but if it were like this, it would be the best compromise of VGA tu buy. :sarcastic:  :sol: 

If you think there are bettere p67 mobos, please tell me! :D 
Related resources
September 8, 2011 10:11:44 AM

The z68 build you listed looks a very impressive build.
September 8, 2011 10:24:13 AM

AdrianPerry said:
The z68 build you listed looks a very impressive build.


Still very unsure on which chipset i will pick. :ouch:  :wahoo: 
September 8, 2011 11:26:14 AM

Unless the price difference is more than about £10, id say just go with the z68.

You never know when onboard video or Lucid Virtu might come in handy :) 
September 8, 2011 12:56:47 PM

The price difference will be for sure worth the risk...I am not really sure about virtu, i read thousands of post about its working with the extreme4 mobo and seems fine only half of the times...While a great mistery is the Synergy application that is under develop from Nvidia and will exploit both the integrated graphics and discrete as Virtu but on my view much bettere...
And i will be waiting for sure the next z77 chipset, which will work fine for sure!
September 8, 2011 1:02:32 PM

I haven't much looked into Intel's future plans. There's so much hype around BullDozer AMD is the only thing i keep hearing about.

Ill look into Synergy and z77 now :) 

EDIT: It appears synergy has been re-named quick sync? There was an article about this on TOMs yesterday or the day before i seem to remember, about video encoding?

Update: z77 doesn't really seem any different to z68 other than that it will have PCI 3.0 support....
September 8, 2011 1:11:42 PM

all GTX models have CUDA cores, and there are tricks to getting them used as if your card was a quaddro.
September 8, 2011 1:17:14 PM

AdrianPerry said:
I haven't much looked into Intel's future plans. There's so much hype around BullDozer AMD is the only thing i keep hearing about.

Ill look into Synergy and z77 now :) 

EDIT: It appears synergy has been re-named quick sync? There was an article about this on TOMs yesterday or the day before i seem to remember, about video encoding?


I am pretty sure that they are two different things :)  Quick Sync is Intel's technology to use both type of graphics. Synergy is quite different, and is very very similar to Virtu. So while Quick Sync is more hardware-related and belongs to Intel, Synergy is a software made by nvidia for Nvida VGAs...And probably the latter will have more stabily and fewer issues than Virtu (my biggest hope :bounce:  )

ScrewySqrl said:
all GTX models have CUDA cores, and there are tricks to getting them used as if your card was a quaddro.


If u could paste me a link or tell me what are these tricks about, i would be deeply thankful to you!
September 8, 2011 9:26:18 PM

If video editing is to be done that it's pretty much a no brainer. Z68...why would you consider a P67 for video editing ?
September 9, 2011 7:53:52 AM

Why_Me said:
If video editing is to be done that it's pretty much a no brainer. Z68...why would you consider a P67 for video editing ?


Cause i'm afraid of the issues still appearing on the z68 chipset. Of course there are no mobos or systems without issues at all, but the z68 still shows it needs a lot of work.

But here i understood well what's the right choice.

Does anybody know how the CUDA cores can be used ? Is it simply needed an application developed for exploiting them?

Thanks for the answers!
September 9, 2011 10:01:14 AM

What issues do Z68 have :S ? Haven't heard many complaints..
September 9, 2011 4:56:23 PM

Flap said:
Cause i'm afraid of the issues still appearing on the z68 chipset. Of course there are no mobos or systems without issues at all, but the z68 still shows it needs a lot of work.

But here i understood well what's the right choice.

Does anybody know how the CUDA cores can be used ? Is it simply needed an application developed for exploiting them?

Thanks for the answers!

What issues? Iv'e never heard of any issues with the Z68 boards.
September 10, 2011 7:36:01 AM

Why_Me said:
What issues? Iv'e never heard of any issues with the Z68 boards.


The issues I know are the frequent BSODs (specially with the asus p8z68), the i-mode not working and sometimes the memory not well recognized.

But they are minor issues of course. Simply i don't want any of those =)

By the way, anybody knowing the way to use the CUDA cores? I'm getting mad to understand it! :bounce: 
September 10, 2011 9:04:14 AM

Haven't heard of the BSOD issue (since i have a p8z68 board myself), and the reason memory often isnt correct is because people buy 1.65v RAM rather than the 1.5v recommended.
September 10, 2011 9:30:24 AM

Good to know....So i will trust the z68 then. I've known of these mistakes, but probably i've considered them as too important for what they are.

So, about these CUDA cores, i found out that the GPU acceleration can be used on gtx 570 and 580 of the 5xx series...think i will go for the 570! As far as i understood, this is due to the Mercury Playback engine!

DO u know any other ways?
September 10, 2011 9:46:53 AM

Processor : Intel Core i7 2600K - $315
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HSF : CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ - $30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MoBo : ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - $125
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM : G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Disk : Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200rpm - $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD : Crucial M4 128GB SATA 3 - $193
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Graphics : GIGABYTE GV-R697OC-2GD Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 - $360
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case : COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case - $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU : SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular - $160
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD : Lite On 24x DVD Burner : $21
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total : $1458 after rebates

Monitor (fits your budget) :

LG E2360V-PN 23" Full HD LED BackLight LCD Monitor Slim Design - $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ohh... Just saw your preference about the Thermaltake case.
September 10, 2011 9:49:46 AM

Nice build, but 750w probably isn't enough to SLI 6970's and is overkill for a single card.

Either go with 600-650w or 850w
September 10, 2011 12:07:19 PM

008Rohit said:
Processor : Intel Core i7 2600K - $315
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HSF : CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ - $30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MoBo : ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - $125
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM : G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Disk : Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200rpm - $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD : Crucial M4 128GB SATA 3 - $193
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Graphics : GIGABYTE GV-R697OC-2GD Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 - $360
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case : COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case - $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU : SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular - $160
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD : Lite On 24x DVD Burner : $21
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total : $1458 after rebates

Monitor (fits your budget) :

LG E2360V-PN 23" Full HD LED BackLight LCD Monitor Slim Design - $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Ohh... Just saw your preference about the Thermaltake case.


Thanks for the build. Instead of the radeon HD 6970, i will for sure take the Nvidia gtx 570 which costes more or less the same (and i believe il take the -MSI N570GTX-M2D12D5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card- 320$)

In addiction, even though the screen fits with my budget, i will keep mine since i bought a brand new Asus 23" full HD less than a year ago.

AdrianPerry said:
Nice build, but 750w probably isn't enough to SLI 6970's and is overkill for a single card.

Either go with 600-650w or 850w


I didn't really think about it: i will definitely go with the 850W. :D 
September 14, 2011 12:08:26 PM

Actually that Seasonic PSU is an extremely under-rated unit and can actually deliver upto 900Ws of power. The other PC parts won't hog that much power, read the latest PSU related article by Toms.
So, that 750W unit is absolutely fine for 2 HD 6970's or GTX 570's.
!