Sign in with
Your question

8GB of RAM only 3.16 usable (W7 x64)

Last response: in Memory
September 15, 2012 7:03:09 PM

Since I made my new computer I did wonder why the ram usage was getting pretty high even though I have 8gb which should be more than enough. Turns out, windows is not detecting all of the RAM. Any suggestions?

Specs: (all bought brand new)

2x G.Skill 8GB ram (exactly the same, came in the same box)
Asrock Extreme 4 z77 (didn't have any bent pins as far as I saw)
Windows 7 64 bit

More about : 8gb ram usable x64

a b } Memory
September 15, 2012 7:23:17 PM

does your bios pick up all 8 gigs?
m
l
September 15, 2012 7:34:04 PM

Yes it does but I fixed it by unchecking the "set max memory" on the msconfig advanced boot option. Thank you for your reply nonetheless.
m
l
Related resources
September 15, 2012 7:59:13 PM

The fact that your comp is recognising 3.16 GB... that looks SO MUCH link you have a 32 bit version of wins installed.
32 bit has max address of 4GB... but them you lose some more due to hardware devices... so you tend to end up with 3.2GB... ish.

So I am probably going to insult you... by asking you to double check you really do have the 64 bit version of Wins 7 installed.
Are you 100% sure? with a 0% chance you could be mistaken?
And no messing with BIOS? its on default settings?
And you did a clean install of windows?...

Whats also suspicious... is why you had to "fix it"... im Msconfig... how did that setting get ticked in the first place?

Can you elaborate a bit... something does not smell right ;) 

Cheers

m
l
September 16, 2012 12:58:02 AM

yoji said:
The fact that your comp is recognising 3.16 GB... that looks SO MUCH link you have a 32 bit version of wins installed.
32 bit has max address of 4GB... but them you lose some more due to hardware devices... so you tend to end up with 3.2GB... ish.

So I am probably going to insult you... by asking you to double check you really do have the 64 bit version of Wins 7 installed.
Are you 100% sure? with a 0% chance you could be mistaken?
And no messing with BIOS? its on default settings?
And you did a clean install of windows?...

Whats also suspicious... is why you had to "fix it"... im Msconfig... how did that setting get ticked in the first place?

Can you elaborate a bit... something does not smell right ;) 

Cheers

Don't worry, this isn't insulting at all. I am 101% sure it's windows 7 x64 because:

1. It says so on the disk
2. I ran some applications that are built for 64 bit platforms only and if I had a 32 bit version I'd guess they didn't work.
3. On "Control Panel\System and Security\System" under system type it says: "64-bit operating system"

I did mess with the bios when I overclocked my cpu but I only changed the offset and cpu frequency.

Installed on a brand new harddrive for my new computer.

On some old video I saw a while back it said to check that box and set the max memory so that the computer will boot up with max memory and start faster. It kinda seemed like it worked so I just left it on. (This was on my old laptop which was slower than a snail. I guessed that it may work on the new comp and not like it'll do anything bad)
m
l
!