Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows Randomly Freezes?!

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
September 15, 2012 8:42:40 PM

I dont know why but windows randomly freezes sometimes. The mouse cursor stops moving, the screen freezes, all sound stops. All I can do is hold the power button :/  I just bought a new i5 3570K and corsair Vengeance 8GB Ram, Ever since I installed the 2 problems have started. I have noticed the freezing happens alot more when the RAM is set to 1600, but when I set it to 1333 it happens alot less. I have looked everywhere and Cant find a solution!

The freezing is completely random, there is nothing I do which links to the freezing. Sometimes it freezes on startup, most of the time when I am just using windows normally, and occasionally on startup. I have replaced the Hard drive and that didnt help, fresh installed windows 7. Everything else in the computer is brand new, just finished the build. The only thing I didnt buy new was the DVD Drive.

Could I have a faulty RAM Module or am I setting the bios settings wrong? :/  I have set all the settings to default and just turned RAM down to 1333. I turned off any auto overclocking features as well as XMP. Another thing I tried was setting the timings to 8-8-8-24 instead of 9-9-9-24, which just made it worse.

Please reply If you have this problem or If you know what the cause might be :/ 

thanks,
iKryptic
a b } Memory
September 15, 2012 9:59:34 PM

Do you still have your old memory, if so try that to see if it makes a difference.
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
September 15, 2012 11:08:33 PM

A freezing computer that does not recover is nearly always due to problem memory. Try downloading and running memtest86 for at least three passes. Sometimes some memory is sometimes just incompatible with a motherboard and no amount of tweaking will fix it. Try to get memory that has been tested by the motherboard maker which is normally shown on their web site.
September 23, 2012 12:21:16 PM

Best answer selected by iKryptic.
m
l
!