Sign in with
Your question

Combine 2 different internet connections

Last response: in Networking
October 23, 2010 1:24:10 AM

hi i was wondering if i can combine 2 different internet connections? to speed up downloads...
i have 2 different internet (FLASHES) (not lines) from different companies .....so is it possible to make them both work together?
thanks
October 23, 2010 3:38:00 AM

Depends on your definition of "work together".

If you mean load balance multiple tcp / udp connections between two discrete providers using specific networking hardware, then yes.

If you mean connect both into the back of your Windows computer and download times to be cut in 1/2, then no.
November 1, 2010 11:45:04 PM

so what hardware should be used and in what configuration? I am trying to combine for upload speeds, not download speeds
Related resources
November 2, 2010 10:21:45 PM

you cannot combine ISP's. I agree you can do it as a fail over but that requires expensive hardware.

drummerdude2010 said:
so what hardware should be used and in what configuration? I am trying to combine for upload speeds, not download speeds

November 4, 2010 2:03:52 AM

Some of the Linksys RV series will do it. Keep in mind you CANNOT combine connections, only load balance. Meaning multiple tcp connections get balanced between two ISP's. "Doubling your upload speeds" for a single connection / file upload is not possible.
!