change windows explorer default directory

Paul

Splendid

When I open the windows explorer it always starts with my
documents. Can I change this so that it will display my
computer or another directory?

paul wrote:
> When I open the windows explorer it always starts with my
> documents. Can I change this so that it will display my
> computer or another directory?

Right click the shortcut that you use to open Windows Explorer and select
Properties.

In the Target: line, you can use switches to define how you want WE to open.

%systemroot%\\explorer.exe /e,

Will open WE with My Computer highlighted and everything collapsed.

%systemroot%\\explorer.exe /e, C:

Will open WE with the C: drive expanded.

%systemroot%\\explorer.exe /e, C:\any folder\this folder

Will open WE with "this folder" opened.

Reference.

HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307856

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org

HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q307856

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"paul" anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message:

| When I open the windows explorer it always starts with my
| documents. Can I change this so that it will display my
| computer or another directory?

Hi

Go to Programs>Accessories, right click on the WE icon and select Properties. Type or copy/paste the following into the 'Target:' box to have WE open with
the C drive expanded:

%systemroot%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:

A new Desktop shortcut for WE can be created with the same command.

Also have a look at the following article:

"Windows Explorer Command-Line Options"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;152457

--

Will Denny