Does any Digital SLR have the following?

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 30, 2005 8:39:07 AM

I currently own an old Fuji 602z. Features it has that I find very
useful but don't seem to be on entry level DSLR cameras are Voice
Recording and Framing Guidelines.

I realise Framing Guidelines would be difficult with a DSLR, as would
a flipout rear LCD, but not impossible. I find the guidelines on the
Fuji rather useful in getting the angle of the horizon and the
"verticalness" of buildings etc spot on.

Voice Recording should be an easy feature to add. It is something I
thought was a bit of a wank at first with my Fuji, but I have come to
use it extensively and now view it as a near necessity for any camera.

Do any of the new entry level (up to $2,000) DSLRs have these
features?

Thanks.

More about : digital slr

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 5:03:56 PM

dwilson@mailinator.com (Darren Wilson) writes:

> I currently own an old Fuji 602z. Features it has that I find very
> useful but don't seem to be on entry level DSLR cameras are Voice
> Recording and Framing Guidelines.
>
> I realise Framing Guidelines would be difficult with a DSLR, as would
> a flipout rear LCD, but not impossible. I find the guidelines on the
> Fuji rather useful in getting the angle of the horizon and the
> "verticalness" of buildings etc spot on.
>
> Voice Recording should be an easy feature to add. It is something I
> thought was a bit of a wank at first with my Fuji, but I have come to
> use it extensively and now view it as a near necessity for any camera.
>
> Do any of the new entry level (up to $2,000) DSLRs have these
> features?

The Fuji S2 Pro has optional grid lines on the focusing screen, if
that's what you mean. And it does support voice memo recording. And
has by now dropped into the price range you mention, I believe.
March 30, 2005 5:23:09 PM

On 30 Mar 2005 04:39:07 -0800, dwilson@mailinator.com (Darren Wilson)
wrote:

>I currently own an old Fuji 602z. Features it has that I find very
>useful but don't seem to be on entry level DSLR cameras are Voice
>Recording and Framing Guidelines.

Nikon D100 has voice memo (needs the optional multi-function battery
pack).

Nikon D70 & D100 have an in-viewfinder 'grid mode' to aid horizons and
architectual shots.

If choosing between them, I'd get the D70 and a $40 digital voice
recorder.

There must be other brands too...

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

In article <5ab039e9.0503300439.a7faa7f@posting.google.com>,
Darren Wilson <dwilson@mailinator.com> wrote:

>I realise Framing Guidelines would be difficult with a DSLR, as would
>a flipout rear LCD, but not impossible. I find the guidelines on the
>Fuji rather useful in getting the angle of the horizon and the
>"verticalness" of buildings etc spot on.

The viewfinder that came with the 43mm ultra wide angle lens for my Mamiya 7
medium format rangefinder has a little spirit level built into it. It
strikes me that it shouldn't be that hard to put one in an SLR veiwfinder.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 7:21:19 PM

"Darren Wilson" <dwilson@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> I currently own an old Fuji 602z. Features it has that I find very
> useful but don't seem to be on entry level DSLR cameras are Voice
> Recording and Framing Guidelines.
>
> I realise Framing Guidelines would be difficult with a DSLR, as would
> a flipout rear LCD, but not impossible. I find the guidelines on the
> Fuji rather useful in getting the angle of the horizon and the
> "verticalness" of buildings etc spot on.

i only can speak for the nikon D70 - it does have these "guidelines" which
divide the image into 4x4 segments.

sid
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 7:42:19 PM

My D70 has grid lines that can be turned on and off, and my old Sony had a
voice recorder built in but I never used it. All the info I need is
attached to the image. If you're trying to put together a slide show with
audio I would use software, a mic, and some MP3 files to do that. I guess
everybody uses those voice recordings for different things, but I'll bet
most don't use them at all except when taking video clips.

The grid lines are a good idea, however.

"Darren Wilson" <dwilson@mailinator.com> wrote in message
>I currently own an old Fuji 602z. Features it has that I find very
> useful but don't seem to be on entry level DSLR cameras are Voice
> Recording and Framing Guidelines.
>
> I realise Framing Guidelines would be difficult with a DSLR, as would
> a flipout rear LCD, but not impossible. I find the guidelines on the
> Fuji rather useful in getting the angle of the horizon and the
> "verticalness" of buildings etc spot on.
>
> Voice Recording should be an easy feature to add. It is something I
> thought was a bit of a wank at first with my Fuji, but I have come to
> use it extensively and now view it as a near necessity for any camera.
>
> Do any of the new entry level (up to $2,000) DSLRs have these
> features?
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 2:15:46 AM

Owamanga <owamanga@hotmail.com> wrote:

>If choosing between them, I'd get the D70 and a $40 digital voice
>recorder.

I found the sound clips on our Oly 3040 to be a fantastic feature,
and do in a sense miss it on the D70. Seeing some of the slide shows
of snaps taken with the 3040 and atmosphere sound really makes them
come alive. It is a pain though, in that it ties everything up while
recording, so that does make a problem with how to encorporate it
into a rapid-action dSLR. It just ain't the same having a separate
recording and having to piece them together.

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:15:46 +0200, Ken Tough <ken@objectech.co.uk>
wrote:

>Owamanga <owamanga@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>If choosing between them, I'd get the D70 and a $40 digital voice
>>recorder.
>
>I found the sound clips on our Oly 3040 to be a fantastic feature,
>and do in a sense miss it on the D70. Seeing some of the slide shows
>of snaps taken with the 3040 and atmosphere sound really makes them
>come alive. It is a pain though, in that it ties everything up while
>recording, so that does make a problem with how to encorporate it
>into a rapid-action dSLR. It just ain't the same having a separate
>recording and having to piece them together.

Oh, I thought it was used for some sort of verbal note - regarding the
subject or shot (location, girls phone number etc). I didn't think
about ambient sound capture...

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga