BSOD when I switch to Raid Mode

coocoo bananas

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I have an asus p8z68 v le and wanted to start running raid to take advantage of an extra hdd i have. When i go into the advanced mode and switch to raid from AHCI, windows won't start up and i get bsod.

I changed the boot order after i switch to raid so it is booting from my windows drive. I even changed the sata plugs so that my windows drive is plug 1.

Has anyone experienced similar issues or have any ideas?

thanks in advance for your help.

Solution
The BSOD you are seeing is expected. I'd bet that if you disable the automatic reboot, you'll find it is a STOP 0x0000007B error message. What version of Windows are you running? For Windows XP, this probably will not work, but for Windows vista or later, it probably will:

http://superuser.com/questions/210113/add-intel-raid-drivers-to-existing-windows-7-install-before-enabling-raid-in-bio

Essentially you configure Windows to force a re-detect of the storage controller on boot (something it usually does not do). In the above link, the person who posts the answer said that you should use regedit to change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV\Start
from a 1 to a 0, but I think you'll need to go from a 0 to a 1...

rusabus

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
The BSOD you are seeing is expected. I'd bet that if you disable the automatic reboot, you'll find it is a STOP 0x0000007B error message. What version of Windows are you running? For Windows XP, this probably will not work, but for Windows vista or later, it probably will:

http://superuser.com/questions/210113/add-intel-raid-drivers-to-existing-windows-7-install-before-enabling-raid-in-bio

Essentially you configure Windows to force a re-detect of the storage controller on boot (something it usually does not do). In the above link, the person who posts the answer said that you should use regedit to change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV\Start
from a 1 to a 0, but I think you'll need to go from a 0 to a 1.

The alternative is to reinstall Windows once you have enabled RAID mode.

HTH

--Russel

Solution