Solved

So I was replacing the heatsink, and now the computer doesn't work!

Configuration:
Motherboard: AsusTek P5B-E http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131070
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad
Old heatsink/fan: Intel stock cooler
New heatsink/fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Short story:
Processor jacket on the motherboard looks bent, and computer does not start if I close the jacket on the motherboard or even apply slight pressure on the processor.

Long story:
I picked up a desktop computer from my apartment community's recycling area. The computer flashed some LEDs when I powered it on, but then died. I opened it up, and found the stock intel heatsink had fallen out. I replaced the stock intel heatsink (which was a pain with those pushpins) and the computer started working again, although with idle temperatures of around 60C.

I thought that I got the desktop for free, so why not upgrade the fan a little bit, so my wife can use it. So I ordered Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, and installed it today.

However after I did that, the computer stopped working. When I switch it on, the LEDs start blinking for a split second, and then everything dies. I searched online for help, and found suggestions about "Breadboarding". I realized that the computer only flashes some LEDs, the fan turns on for a second, and then it just dies. That was only with the processor in the motherboard (no RAM, no disk drives etc).

I then removed the humongous Hyper 212 plus, and tried turning the computer on, and it died within a second, just as it was happening earlier today morning. I then opened the processor jacket that holds it in place, but let the processor sit in the socket. With the jacket open, I turned the computer on, and it worked for few seconds before I switched it off for the fear of overheating.

I then tried running the computer again, with the processor sitting in the socket, the jacket open, and no heatsink. The fans started running and the LEDs were lit. Then I started closing the jacket with the computer running, and saw something remarkable.

The computer shuts off as soon as I press the jacket lever about 30 degrees. I continued to test this again and again, and realized that the computer shuts off as soon as the jacket applies light pressure on the processor. I pressed the processor lightly with my finger when the computer was running, and the computer always shuts off with a certain bit of pressure on the processor.

I think the Hyper 212 may have damaged the jacket, the processor or the socket while I was trying to screw it in to get a good fix. I have tried to take out the jacket cover and straightening it using a hammer and other tools with some success, however as soon as I close the jacket the computer just dies.

What should I do to make this computer functional again?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about replacing heatsink computer doesn work
  1. Best answer
    Sounds like you bent some pins in the socket, and also the retension mechanism. Looks like you might have to get a new motherboard. Can you post some photos of the damage.
  2. I have tried for almost 24-hours non-stop, bending the pin again and again to check if it works, but no luck so far. I'm giving up now, and buying a replacement motherboard: ASRock 4CORE1600-GLAN Core2 Quad from here: http://3btech.net/as4ccoqu13mo1.html. Hope it works.
  3. Be very careful on the next install.
  4. I have bought a new motherboard and everything works very well again. The bent pin, I could not fix it at all. LGA775 has one of the worst pins in the sockets - they are curved in a very "artistic" way and unless you get that curve again, it's not going to work.
  5. Best answer selected by anil_robo.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Computer Heatsinks Processors Product