Sign in with
Your question

New CPU heatsink/fan. Now computer won't start.

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Heatsinks
  • Fan
  • Computers
  • Components
Last response: in Components
December 8, 2011 2:18:52 AM

I just installed a new cpu heatsink/fan. Now my computer show's green light on mobo showing the psu is going through. But when trying to boot, nothing turns on and I only hear a slight *click*.

I have an amd phenom x4 955 black edition processor and I just installed the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus fan.
8 gigs of ram.
ATI Radeon HD 5850
600 Watt PSU
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

I've checked to see if plugs are all in and I just have don't know what could have happened...
Any ideas anyone. Thank you so much.

More about : cpu heatsink fan computer start

December 8, 2011 2:21:41 AM

I put my ear to the power supply, and I heard a slight jolt coming out of it. Do you think it's a dead PSU? Or I've heard there's a switch where it could be the wrong voltage.I did take apart everything before but I can't find this switch on where to change the voltage.... if possible...
m
l
December 8, 2011 2:22:06 AM

And the PSU was working fine before this.
m
l
Related resources
December 8, 2011 2:25:32 AM

If everything is plugged correctly, that does sound like a dead PSU. Is there another machine you can borrow parts from in order to troubleshoot?
m
l
December 8, 2011 2:27:23 AM

I'm going to try and find a PSU that will support my system to test everything out. But it just seems weird that before I installed this new cpu fan, that my power supply is dead. Are there any other possibilities?
I appreciate all the help.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 8, 2011 2:28:00 AM

what PSU is it?

also, make sure the CPU is properly seated, heastsink is properly seated (and tight) and there are no bent CPU pins.
m
l
December 8, 2011 2:48:59 AM

The CPU is definitely seated properly. It took a while to install the CPU fan especially since it's so bulky. Although the fan does move a bit since the thermal paste hasn't dried it's still moving a bit. It doesn't have a lock like the stock fan that came with the quad core. But still... The problem just seems weird that it would be the PSU. It has to be unlikely that the PSU would just die after installing a new CPU fan. No?
m
l
December 8, 2011 2:50:44 AM

Oh, and THE PSU is an OCZ 600 watt...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 8, 2011 2:56:36 AM

EMayberg said:
The CPU is definitely seated properly. It took a while to install the CPU fan especially since it's so bulky. Although the fan does move a bit since the thermal paste hasn't dried it's still moving a bit. It doesn't have a lock like the stock fan that came with the quad core. But still... The problem just seems weird that it would be the PSU. It has to be unlikely that the PSU would just die after installing a new CPU fan. No?

sounds unusual, i have the same CPU & heatsink. it should be down tight enough that you need a decent amount of pressure to move the heatsink.
m
l
December 8, 2011 3:01:21 AM

Okay. I will tighten it up as much as possible. But shouldn't the computer still start even if the heatsink is slightly moving when applying pressure...?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 8, 2011 3:05:20 AM

it should. ive seen people pull out the CPU and bend pins when removing heatsinks hence my question. you can also test your PSU without the mobo to see if it's not working

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4
m
l
December 8, 2011 3:20:49 AM

Alright. I'll do this tomorrow and see if the PSU is working... Ah, this is gonna be a while. I really appreciate all of your help. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow...
m
l
December 9, 2011 1:44:34 PM

dirtyferret said:
it should. ive seen people pull out the CPU and bend pins when removing heatsinks hence my question. you can also test your PSU without the mobo to see if it's not working

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4

Took out the CPU and it looks fine. I now just took out the power supply and hopefully go try it. I just can't seem to find a paper clip anywhere...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2011 2:40:27 PM

it could be your mobo. try taking out your video card and set up your monitor to your mobo's HDMI port, just to make sure it's not the video card and is the mobo.
m
l
December 9, 2011 9:06:14 PM

Okay. So here's what I did. The heatsink was still moving a bit. So I tightened it down all the way. then I just tested it. It isn't working. So I tried the hdmi cable without the graphics card, and still the same thing jsut a click coming from the power supply.
I have a couple friends who suggested to take a look to see if the voltage is wrong with the power supply? Do you think I should test this? Or they also said that when I hit the power switch that the led on the mobo should be flicking or changing... That doesn't occur. So any suggestions?
m
l
October 12, 2013 6:14:01 PM

EMayberg said:
Okay. So here's what I did. The heatsink was still moving a bit. So I tightened it down all the way. then I just tested it. It isn't working. So I tried the hdmi cable without the graphics card, and still the same thing jsut a click coming from the power supply.
I have a couple friends who suggested to take a look to see if the voltage is wrong with the power supply? Do you think I should test this? Or they also said that when I hit the power switch that the led on the mobo should be flicking or changing... That doesn't occur. So any suggestions?

Hey, did you ever get it to work? I got this fan and my OC wont boot up with it either. When I go back to the stock fan it works just fine

m
l
October 12, 2013 7:41:39 PM

Steve Albert said:
EMayberg said:

Hey, did you ever get it to work? I got this fan and my OC wont boot up with it either. When I go back to the stock fan it works just fine

No I actually didn't. Ending up building an entire new rig for a decent amount of money.
That's weird though. I never tried going back to the old stock fan...
m
l
!