What's going on with my RAM (underclocked?)

rebelx

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
Hey, I have 1866mhz 8GB RAM, but for some reason, I can't actually verify (there are lots of different numbers shown) if they're actually running (4gbx2) at 1866. I have a screenshot below:

tD6QK.jpg

Solution

Many memory sticks contain multiple XMP profiles. It is not uncommon for some DDR3-1866 or above modules to contain profiles XMP profiles for DDR3-1333, and DDR3-1600. They may even have a JEDEC profile for DDR3-1333 as well, meaning that the XMP profile may be otherwise identical or have minor timing changes.

head back into your DRAM settings and set the XMP profile to the highest number available as they are usually...
It's running at 1333 right now (PC10700 and 667Mhz), and that's exactly as expected if you just installed it or haven't ever gone into the BIOS to configure it. Any RAM faster than 1333 will always default to 1333 in a Z68 board and/or with a Sandy Bridge CPU.

Just go into your BIOS and enable the X.M.P. profile (see where it says "XMP-1866" in the first screen shot? That's what it'll be when you enable the X.M.P. profile). Right now, it's using the JEDEC #3 profile (default).

rebelx

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012

Thanks for the info.

I went to the bios and took a look, but it was already set to XMP so I didn't touch anything.

This is what I have so far:

WKynH.jpg

BhaK1.jpg

The first pic on my original post appears identical to my current check. Did I do anything wrong?

Your RAM isn't 1866 MHz, it's DDR3-1866 as in 1866 MT/s = 933 MHz. DDR3 has a Double Data Rate, so the number of memory transfers is twice the actual clock. Memory vendors like marketing their product with the larger number, and then "accidentally" having people confused and thinking it's the clock rate in MHz.

Your last screenshot says 936.2 MHz which would correspond to DDR3-1866.

Many memory sticks contain multiple XMP profiles. It is not uncommon for some DDR3-1866 or above modules to contain profiles XMP profiles for DDR3-1333, and DDR3-1600. They may even have a JEDEC profile for DDR3-1333 as well, meaning that the XMP profile may be otherwise identical or have minor timing changes.

head back into your DRAM settings and set the XMP profile to the highest number available as they are usually in ascending order. I have modules with 4 XMP profiles.

EDIT: nvm, everything looks kosher to me

Solution