Windows 7 no internet access

For some odd reason my windows 7 box no longer connects to the internet. It was working just fine then just stopped working about 3 hours ago. I know it is a problem with the system itself as I have a p4 ubuntu box on the same hub and it is working just fine.

I have swapped the cat5 cables around and both work on the ubuntu box. Realtek diag also reports no problems in hardware or with the cable. Also the windows 7 box has normal network access. I can run synergy just fine and browse the network drives and stream content around the network. The main router is an old pentium 3 box running smoothwall and it reports no problems. The problem started out as intermittent and disabling and re-enabling the network adapter would fix it for a while. I have run both anti virus and malware sweeps, both locally and remotely from the ubuntu box and all was clean (I run everything in a sandbox first so my systems are normally clean).

Any ideas on what to do? Side note, I have 4 other computers(1xp, 3 ubuntu) and 2 notebooks(1 xp, 1 ubuntu), all fine with internet access.

The windows 7 box
Windows 7 home pre 64-bit
Intel core i5 750
4gb ddr3 ram
Gigabyte p55a-ud3 motherboard rev 1.0
All driver up to date as of 12 hours ago.
4 answers Last reply
More about windows internet access
  1. can you ping 206.13.30.12?

can you ping Google? by using ping www.google.com
  2. No

My ubuntu computer can do both.

the windows computer says
    host unreachable

www.google.com
    could not find host.

I know it is a problem within windows because I just booted off a live usb drive and ubuntu 10.10 works great. I guess it's another reason to switch my last 3 windows computers.
  3. are the Proxy Settings enabled under Internet Options?
  4. I have placed a old netgear router between the win 7 box and the rest of the network and now the win 7 box is working?? On another forum it was suggested that smoothwall will not work with windows 7.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Ubuntu Networking