Problem with white screen

ch0c0late

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Hello

I have a problem with my laptop's display. All of a sudden it turned white and after some moments gray lights appeared on the screen ( I don't have any pictures buy it was like a gray and white aurora).

I connected an external display and the image was ok... although the laptop's display was still white and gray.

After I left the laptop a few hours to rest, when I turned it on again it was fine... All of this happened using Windows 7.

When I booted in Ubuntu it worked ok in the beginning, but I also got a white screen. The odd thing was that after I restarted the computer, still in Ubuntu, the nVIDIA logo appeared for a second on the screen (it never does), but afterwards it was all fine.

Also, I have noticed that the brightness of the screen is very low, although it it set to the maximum. The laptop is 3 years old.

I have read the forums and many suggested that for similar problems the issue may be with the cables or the driver. Since Win and Ubuntu use different drivers, I believe the driver problem is ruled out. Also, I don't know what to make of that nVIDIA logo appearing after the restart, how does it relate to a cable problem?

Can someone help me please?

Many thanks!

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
i think that what you are describing sounds like your laptop is haunted by an entity. Call your local exorcist for more info on how to deal with the prob

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
If you have tried ubuntu n windows 7 then its more than likely hardware issue, such as the cable for the screen or the screen itself

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
It seems to be a display problem you will have to change the entire LCD panel.
two of my friends had the same problem and they had to change the display after which it is working fine
btw which is your laptop make and model?
I am asking this because both of my friends had HP laptop!

ch0c0late

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
I have a MSI laptop, but I had lots of problems with it. I'm going to change it, the display problem tops them all.