Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Buy new desktop or upgrade graphic card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 7, 2011 11:51:19 AM

Hello,
i need opinion whether to by new desktop or just upgrade the graphic card to play games like BF3.i know that my current spec most likely cant handle it.

this is me current spec
-----------------------------
Motherboard - MSI G31tm P31 socket 775 lga

processor - pentium dual core E5400 @ 2.70ghz

Graphic - MSI N8400gs 512mb ddr2 (pci-e 16x)

Power Supply - (no brand,el cheapo type)230V

Ram - 3gb

OS - windows XP sp2
-------------------------------

im thinking maybe i just can upgrade the graphic card, say, to nvidia gtx460 because it has the same bus standard(pcie x16) or similar ati graphics.right now money is not my concern, its lag free gameplay thats concern me.for example my current spec lags a lot even on the lowest settings when playing Call of Duty WAW and it drives me mad.

please help me with your opinion
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2011 12:09:48 PM

Its always dependant on how much you want to spend. In short, Get a new system all together. Build it yourself and you can get a very good system for relatively cheap. That processor will bottleneck the hell out of a gtx460, not to mention that psu will probably not be able to run it anyways.

Build yourself a new system or con someone into doing it for ya.
m
l
July 7, 2011 12:21:09 PM

phishy714 said:
Its always dependant on how much you want to spend. In short, Get a new system all together. Build it yourself and you can get a very good system for relatively cheap. That processor will bottleneck the hell out of a gtx460, not to mention that psu will probably not be able to run it anyways.

Build yourself a new system or con someone into doing it for ya.

exactly my friend sentiment :( 

actually i bought this computer 7 months ago :pfff:  (i regret my stubborn decision)

what would would be your recommendations? i got, $600-ish fund at disposal.would it be enough or do i need to trade the comp away?

or do i need other graphic card other than gtx460,something that will not bottleneck by my processor

thanks a lot for your reply man..
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2011 5:26:58 PM

ian88z said:
exactly my friend sentiment :( 

actually i bought this computer 7 months ago :pfff:  (i regret my stubborn decision)

what would would be your recommendations? i got, $600-ish fund at disposal.would it be enough or do i need to trade the comp away?

or do i need other graphic card other than gtx460,something that will not bottleneck by my processor

thanks a lot for your reply man..

Before anyone is able to suggest something to ya, we gotta know a couple things.

What resolution is your monitor?

Do you have the system disk for Windows XP? Or did it just come pre-installed in the system when you bought it? If it came pre-installed, you can contact the company that you bought it from and get yourself your copy of the system disk. This way, you can save money by just installing Windows XP instead of buying a version of Windows 7 for your new system. Unless you actually want windows 7 in which case, it will cost you about $100.

In short, type in "system builder" in the search and click on the link that says "System Builder Marathon, June 2011: $500 Gaming PC" and take a look at the different specs of that machine. (I cant link stuff today for some reason).

Depending on your resolution, you can save a few bucks on the graphics card which you can then apply toward getting windows 7 or a different case or to cover the shipping cost of getting all this sent to you
m
l
July 7, 2011 6:24:07 PM

phishy714 said:
Before anyone is able to suggest something to ya, we gotta know a couple things.

What resolution is your monitor?

Do you have the system disk for Windows XP? Or did it just come pre-installed in the system when you bought it? If it came pre-installed, you can contact the company that you bought it from and get yourself your copy of the system disk. This way, you can save money by just installing Windows XP instead of buying a version of Windows 7 for your new system. Unless you actually want windows 7 in which case, it will cost you about $100.

In short, type in "system builder" in the search and click on the link that says "System Builder Marathon, June 2011: $500 Gaming PC" and take a look at the different specs of that machine. (I cant link stuff today for some reason).

Depending on your resolution, you can save a few bucks on the graphics card which you can then apply toward getting windows 7 or a different case or to cover the shipping cost of getting all this sent to you

-------

Sorry, i forgot to mention.my monitor is old Dell CRT 551a. i have both XP and Vista OS. I buy this desktop in my local area shop.

Either way, i probably will give this desktop to my little brother, because i made up my mind buying new rig.So, lets say we start anew from the scratch.
--------------------------------------
this is what i have for the new built ( Please correct/add what necessary things that i might left out)

Chipset - AMD Phenom II X4 945 Quad-Core Processor HDX945FBGIBOX - 3.0GHz, 4 x 512KB L2 Cache, 6MB L3 Cache, Socket AM3

Motherboard - ASUS M4A88T - M / USB3 Motherboard

Graphic Cards - EVGA GTX460 - 768MB Graphic Card or ASUS ENGTS450 TOP - 1GB Graphic Card

PSU - I havent decided yet which suits the spec

Ram - im not sure about this

HDD - WD Caviar Blue 7200rpm 1TB

Casing - XIGMATEK ASGARD ATX Case
ATX Case

Disc reader - my old samsung external disc Reader

Monitor - Possibly BenQ G922HDAL With 18.5 inch Widescreen
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Overall price - Not Worrying about it, i think i can manage the numbers, i just want lag free gaming experience.

I'm planning to buy it from local online shop in my country, ipmart.com.
i'm from Malaysia by the way, so 1 US dollar = RM2.90/3.00 depending market value.

Thanks so much for putting up with my question,i appreciate your time.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2011 6:45:45 PM

ian88z said:
-------

Sorry, i forgot to mention.my monitor is old Dell CRT 551a. i have both XP and Vista OS. I buy this desktop in my local area shop.

Either way, i probably will give this desktop to my little brother, because i made up my mind buying new rig.So, lets say we start anew from the scratch.
--------------------------------------
this is what i have for the new built ( Please correct/add what necessary things that i might left out)

Chipset - AMD Phenom II X4 945 Quad-Core Processor HDX945FBGIBOX - 3.0GHz, 4 x 512KB L2 Cache, 6MB L3 Cache, Socket AM3

Motherboard - ASUS M4A88T - M / USB3 Motherboard

Graphic Cards - EVGA GTX460 - 768MB Graphic Card or ASUS ENGTS450 TOP - 1GB Graphic Card

PSU - I havent decided yet which suits the spec

Ram - im not sure about this

HDD - WD Caviar Blue 7200rpm 1TB

Casing - XIGMATEK ASGARD ATX Case
ATX Case

Disc reader - my old samsung external disc Reader

Monitor - Possibly BenQ G922HDAL With 18.5 inch Widescreen
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Overall price - Not Worrying about it, i think i can manage the numbers, i just want lag free gaming experience.

I'm planning to buy it from local online shop in my country, ipmart.com.
i'm from Malaysia by the way, so 1 US dollar = RM2.90/3.00 depending market value.

Thanks so much for putting up with my question,i appreciate your time.

That monitor seems like it would have a max resolution of 1650x1080, which means the graphics card you are getting should do rather nicely, though I would upgrade to the 1gb version to be safe, cant be too much more expensive.

For a PSU, get a quality brand 400-500w and you will be just fine and be able to upgrade in the future. I cannot stress enough how imporant and overlooked a good psu is. Go with something like antec or corsair or seasonic or ocz.

As for RAM, it doesn't seem like you are one to mess with BIOS features and O.C. stuff alot, so I would go with 4gb (2x2gb) of ddr3 1333 memory to go with that motherboard. Those you can find very cheap, but once again go with a quality brand, like corsair, g.skill, kingston, pny.

Otherwise, at 1680x1050 resolution and lower, you should get very good gameplay.

July 7, 2011 7:01:29 PM

phishy714 said:
That monitor seems like it would have a max resolution of 1650x1080, which means the graphics card you are getting should do rather nicely, though I would upgrade to the 1gb version to be safe, cant be too much more expensive.

For a PSU, get a quality brand 400-500w and you will be just fine and be able to upgrade in the future. I cannot stress enough how imporant and overlooked a good psu is. Go with something like antec or corsair or seasonic or ocz.

As for RAM, it doesn't seem like you are one to mess with BIOS features and O.C. stuff alot, so I would go with 4gb (2x2gb) of ddr3 1333 memory to go with that motherboard. Those you can find very cheap, but once again go with a quality brand, like corsair, g.skill, kingston, pny.

Otherwise, at 1680x1050 resolution and lower, you should get very good gameplay.

So, i guess ill take the GTX 460 1gb vers, 500w psu, quality brand Ram.
by the way, i did OC'd my N8400gs while playing Cod Waw but still lag,Fps around 25-30 max.

Thanks alot Phishy714, you help a noob alot :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2011 7:13:07 PM

Oh well if you are somewhat familiar with overclocking, you can get ddr3 memory at higher mhz, like 1600 depending if your motherboard supports it. It will be more expensive, but not by much and you will get a nice little boost. Up to you of course if you want to deal with that.

Same thing goes for the gtx 460. That card is known to be a very very good overclocker, so if you are comfortable with it, overclock the hell out of it. And don't you worry about the questions, I'm happy I was able to help you out. We were all noobs at one point or another.

Let us know how it works out!
m
l
July 18, 2011 5:52:00 PM

Best answer selected by ian88z.
m
l
!