Sign in with
Your question

Sell Whole Computer or as Parts? (parts listed)

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 8, 2011 6:52:00 AM

I wanna sell what I can because times are getting tough. I was wondering is it better to sell my components in parts or as a whole system? and where are the best places to sell? I hate ebay for their 9% take on the sale...

I have:

i7-920 2.66ghz D0 (about 2 years old)
Asus Rampage II Gene Motherboard (about 2 years old)
OCZ PC3 12800 8-8-8 @1.65v (6x2GB chips, 12GB total) (about 1 year old)
Corsair TX750 Watt Power Supply (about 1 year old)
Corsair CPU Cooling H50 (about 8 months old)
CoolerMaster Storm Scout Case (about 8 months old)
GeForce 8800 GTS (2 cards in SLI)

Everything still works and never had any problems with it. So I don't know if it's better to sell the whole thing as a computer without windows installed, or just sell what I can as parts...

I also have some components that's not being used:
i7-920 2.66ghz D0 (another one)
Asrock X58 Extreme (two of them)
CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooler

I have lots of cheap computer cases (about 7 of them) and a bunch of really really old AMD stuff Socket 939... lol

come to think of it I can actually build 2 pretty good computers and sell them off... what do you guys think?

I really appreciate the input :) 
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2011 7:10:48 AM

You've got yourself a pretty solid all round build there with no components "lacking quality". I would probably suggest sell the whole build. It looks a great working system with no parts requiring an upgrade upon someone purchasing.

Go for a build sale first, if that fails, then you could try selling individual components.
December 8, 2011 8:09:43 AM

In my experience I always make more money selling as parts.

Computers are typically worth less than the sum of the parts.
Related resources
a c 471 à CPUs
December 8, 2011 9:07:04 AM

Selling parts individually can bring in more money, but it also takes more time. Selling a whole computer will mean you can simply get rid of it sooner to clear up some space, but you may get around $100 less if all the part were sold individually.

Me? I prefer trying to sell the entire rig. If it doesn't sell, then I would part it out.
December 8, 2011 9:17:01 AM

tbh I'd sell it as a "gaming pc" throw in a few $5 leds or light bars.

List the full specs, but also use some buzz words.

Odds are some spoilt kid will get there parents to buy it or some wanna be techy will buy it.
a c 112 à CPUs
December 8, 2011 10:59:30 AM

you have a second i7 cpu? then buy a 450w-550w cheapish psu. take out 1 of the 88s from the other machine and make a fresh build.
you will double your money for a small outlay.
December 8, 2011 6:02:25 PM

joedastudd said:
tbh I'd sell it as a "gaming pc" throw in a few $5 leds or light bars.

List the full specs, but also use some buzz words.

Odds are some spoilt kid will get there parents to buy it or some wanna be techy will buy it.

yeah that's a great idea with the LEDs :)  thanks I think i'll try to sell it as a gaming PC. where do you guys sell your stuff usually?

HEXiT said:
you have a second i7 cpu? then buy a 450w-550w cheapish psu. take out 1 of the 88s from the other machine and make a fresh build.
you will double your money for a small outlay.

Yeah I think I'll probably do that :)  is about 75% the cost of the current price of the parts low enough? I mean the 8800 are so cheap now i think <=$100, and the i7s are i think $250?

I'm just wondering how or where do I derive my prices from? I've never really sold my computer parts before.

Thanks again!
a c 112 à CPUs
December 10, 2011 9:11:14 PM

well as there just gonna be sell ons you dont want to be spending a whole wad of cash. so a local second hand shop or repair show should have some epower or winnpower psu's that will work well enough... there only about 30bux but will give good enough power distribution to run a pc for a good 3-5 years. they may not be quality like corsair but they are robust little units.(at least in my experience)
the reason i said build a second machine is you said you had 2 cpu's 1 of which was spare...

selling off the systems as parts may net you 100 more but it will take longer to sell em and then theres always the chance that no 1 wants em. so i do recomend building a system from your spares. but spend no more that 100-150 to do it.
December 10, 2011 9:13:29 PM

HEXiT said:
well as there just gonna be sell ons you dont want to be spending a whole wad of cash. so a local second hand shop or repair show should have some epower or winnpower psu's that will work well enough... there only about 30bux but will give good enough power distribution to run a pc for a good 3-5 years. they may not be quality like corsair but they are robust little units.(at least in my experience)
the reason i said build a second machine is you said you had 2 cpu's 1 of which was spare...

selling off the systems as parts may net you 100 more but it will take longer to sell em and then theres always the chance that no 1 wants em. so i do recomend building a system from your spares. but spend no more that 100-150 to do it.

okay thanks Hex, any idea on what I should base my price on?
!