Sign in with
Your question

Bulldozer/Asus mobo compatability

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 8, 2011 6:57:17 AM

I recently bought the parts for my first build, so I have no other cpu's to work with. I got a AMD FX 8150 with a Crosshair V and a radeon 6950. I've connected all of the power cables and when I turn it on the fans spin, but it won't post. I heard that the problem might be with the bios, but how do I flash the bios if i can't even get it started? Any Ideas?
December 8, 2011 2:16:16 PM

Yeah, the only part that I think could be an issue would be the ram. does the ram have to be from the list of qualified ram?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 8, 2011 9:36:11 PM

cro34 said:
I recently bought the parts for my first build, so I have no other cpu's to work with. I got a AMD FX 8150 with a Crosshair V and a radeon 6950. I've connected all of the power cables and when I turn it on the fans spin, but it won't post. I heard that the problem might be with the bios, but how do I flash the bios if i can't even get it started? Any Ideas?

Most likely your issue is failure of the BIOS to recognize the CPU. When Bulldozer was released in October most of the AM3+ boards on the market didn't ship with updated BIOS that could recognize the CPU (required a BIOS update). Your mobo may have shipped with an outdated BIOS. The problem is in order to update the BIOS you need to have an AM3 compatible CPU installed (Phenom II/Athalon II/Sempron). If you don't have one you can get the cheapest Sempron for about $30 on NewEgg, slap it in the CPU slot, boot up, download and update to the latest BIOS, then put your 8150 back in and you should be good to go (or if you're lucky borrow one from a friend).

December 8, 2011 9:42:57 PM

cro34 said:
Yeah, the only part that I think could be an issue would be the ram. does the ram have to be from the list of qualified ram?

Forgot to mention that you should check your post code on your mobo since it will tell for sure if it's the CPU, since it could also be the RAM (RAM may not be seated correctly or incompatibile/faulty).
December 8, 2011 11:34:50 PM

dweezled said:
Forgot to mention that you should check your post code on your mobo since it will tell for sure if it's the CPU, since it could also be the RAM (RAM may not be seated correctly or incompatibile/faulty).

where would the post code be on the motherboard? If it is the BIOS is there any other way to update the cpu other than buying another cpu?
December 9, 2011 11:08:40 AM

cro34 said:
where would the post code be on the motherboard? If it is the BIOS is there any other way to update the cpu other than buying another cpu?

I'm not familiar with your particular board but it may have a digital LED on the board itself that displays the post code. If not then maybe you can use the post code readout connection on the board (I believe ASUS calls it "ROG Connect"). If the BIOS initially posts then halts it should display the post code on the main BIOS screen (if not hit TAB or whatever displays the post sequence during BIOS initialization and it should show the post code somewhere on the screen).

December 9, 2011 11:22:40 AM

cro34 said:

As far as I'm aware there's no way to update the BIOS if the CPU can't be recognized - you need to have a functionally operating BIOS in the first place to update it so you're stuck with having to find an old AM3 chip (Phenom II/ Athalon II / Sempron, etc.)

December 10, 2011 5:35:42 AM

Ok, so I found an old althalon II chip and swapped it in. then I used Asus's EZ Flash 2 to flash the bios. This was successful in updating the bios to at least 0813. I now at least get a beep. Then when I swapped the bulldozer chip back in the Boot Device LED now stays on. What could be the problem?
December 10, 2011 5:06:10 PM

cro34 said:
Ok, so I found an old althalon II chip and swapped it in. then I used Asus's EZ Flash 2 to flash the bios. This was successful in updating the bios to at least 0813. I now at least get a beep. Then when I swapped the bulldozer chip back in the Boot Device LED now stays on. What could be the problem?

Sounds like the BIOS still isn't loading with the 8150 installed, but it does load with the Athalon II, is that correct? The post error code should tell you if its the CPU (the codes should be listed somewhere in your motherboard manual or online). Looks like there's a later version 0903 of the BIOS for your board http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/Crosshair_...

I would make sure you have the very latest BIOS version installed. If the BIOS still doesn't load with the 8150 chip installed after updating to 0903 then I'd be concerned that you may potentially have a defective CPU (as unlikely as is). You might also want to contact ASUS tech support to see if this is a known issue.

December 10, 2011 8:06:52 PM

Actually, now the Athalon II chip does the same thing. I can hear the first Beep and the CPU fans speed up; no splashcreen. Then the Boot Device LED just shows up.
December 11, 2011 1:16:56 AM

I actually hooked the system up to another pc using ROG Connect. Then I booted it up remotely. As expected it failed the boot, but it displayed that the problem was an error in the CMOS. I cleared the CMOS, but the problem still remained. I also tried to flash the bios remotely, but it said i had an invalid BIOS even though i downloaded it from asus. Does any one know what I can do?
!