Incorrect amount of pins, am I screwed?

gifi4

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Hey all, new here but here goes.
I've recently been aquiring parts in order for me to build a pc.
I've gone with the GTX 580 (Gigabyte), my PSU is a Cooler Master Silent Pro 80+ M700W.
The GTX 580 requires a 6 pin and 8 pin pci connection, problem is, my PSU only has 6 pin connections. Am I screwed?

edit: And do I need to have 2 GTX 580's Cause if so, I'm screwed again...

return the psu. its likely to cost you 10-20 percent restock charge.
a 700w unit is unlikely to be able to power 2 580's without issue anyway. you will be operating close to 80% as a single card draws around 400w on a basic i7 build. so you will be wanting a minimum 850w unit.

if you stick with just 1 580 you can get a 6-8 adapter. which will let you use 1 6 pin like an 8 pin... will this damage the rail its on? if its multi rail and modular, then yes its a possibility. if its just 1 high powered rail then you will be fine.

Not only that. A 6 to 8 pin PCIe adapter will not do anything for you anyway.

/start standard rant
A 6 pin PCIe cable has 6 lines, 3 hot and 3 ground. 8 pin cable has 3 hot and 5 ground. Someone please tell me how adding two more ground wires miraculously doubles the power (well, actually the current) handling capacity.

Corsair agrees with me. If you examine the "6+2" connector, you will see that the "+2" section is spliced onto the 6 pin connector ground lines at the connector and there are only 6 wires in the cable.

And remember, a 4 pin CPU power cable can supply 120 watts to the motherboard power regulator.

/end standard rant