The Kouts

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Hello,

I just completed a build and the system will not power up, the fans do not spin up, I get no beeps, nothing happens. The blue clr CMOS led on the rear of the motherboard and the blue power led on the motherboard flash every 3 seconds but when I push the power led on the motherboard or the power on the front control panel nothing happens.

Below is a list of my build components.

System Components
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Rev. 1
Intel i7-960, 3.2 GHz
Noctua NH-C14
12GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz RAM (3x4GB)
VisionTek 800W 80Plus Bronze
VisionTek ATI Radeon HD6950
OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD
2 x 2TB Western Digital HDD
INWIN Buc case

I unplugged and reconnected all the connections leading to and from the motherboard and got the same flashing with no fans or beeps.

I completely disconnected everything except the CPU and the CPU fan (Noctua NH-C14) from the motherboard and removed the motherboard from the case. I placed the motherboard on my workspace and reconnected the motherboard speaker the power supply a VisionTek 800W 80Plus Bronze the 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz (3x4GB) RAM and the VisionTek Radeon HD6950 video card and get the same problem, CPU, power supply and video card fans do NOT spin, I get no beeps, power button on motherboard and clr CMOS flash blue every 3 seconds.

I removed the 3 RAM sticks and tried a single stick in DDR_1 slot as per the manual same issue, so I tried the other two RAM sticks with the same result. I tried a single RAM stick in DDR_3 slot which the manual states as an option with a single RAM stick I had the same issue so i tried the other two RAM sticks with the same result.

I removed the Noctua CPU fan and tried the provided stock Intel CPU fan and still the same flashing, no fans, no beeps.

I got a replacement power supply another VisionTek 800W 80Plus Bronze from the computer shop and still the same flashing, no fans, no beeps.

I've run through all the steps in the checklist here with no luck: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

I'm not sure where to go from here, no matter what I try I just get the flashing light on the motherboard power button and the clear CMOS button on the rear every 3 seconds and no fans will spin, motherboard or processor are all I can figure it could be. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

tomskent

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
make sure the cpu is in the socket correctly. I had a friend have the same problem and when I took off the heatsink and unlatched the metal lid that holds down the cpu it was hard to see but the cpu wasnt in 100%.

The Kouts

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
When I took off the Noctua fan/sink to try the stock one that came with the processor I removed the processor from the socket with ease and it wasn't jammed.

I cleaned the processor of thermal paste since the fan/sink provided with the processor already had some on it. When I reinstalled the processor in the socket and clipped it down it looked like it had sufficient force to hold it down.