Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Nintendos New System Backwards Compatiable with NES

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 9:42:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

LOS ANGELES -- Nintendo Co. Ltd. entered the next-generation console
fray yesterday, unveiling its new video-game system, code-named
Revolution, at a press conference on the eve of the industry's
showcase event, the Electronic Entertainment Expo.

Nintendo's announcement came one day after Sony Computer Entertainment
Inc. (SCEI) took the lid off its new console, the PlayStation 3, and a
Microsoft Corp. event that continued a weeklong blitz of publicity for
the next Xbox, the 360.

The Revolution, slated for release in 2006, will be the smallest of
the next-generation consoles, about the size of three DVD cases
stacked together. The company said the Revolution will feature
wireless Internet access and will be compatible with games for all of
its past consoles, stretching back to the Nintendo Entertainment
System, or NES, which was released in 1983.

In a surprise move, Nintendo actually unveiled two new pieces of
hardware yesterday. Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive
vice-president of sales and marketing, also displayed a new GameBoy
portable system, the Micro, which he pulled from the breast pocket of
his suit jacket to gasps and some applause from the assembled crowd of
game enthusiasts and journalists. Mr. Fils-Aime said GameBoy Micro,
which will be released this fall, will be two-thirds the size of Apple
Computer Inc.'s iPod Mini and will weigh about the same as 80 paper
clips.

The Micro will join the GameBoy Advance and the DS in Nintendo's
handheld lineup. The firm says its handheld systems and games
represent 94 per cent of the global market despite a recent challenge
from Sony's PlayStation Portable, or PSP.

In the home console market, however, Sony dominates. It has sold more
than 80 million PlayStation 2 units worldwide since its 2000 release.
Microsoft's Xbox and Nintendo's GameCube sit second and third
respectively in market share, each with about 20 million units sold.

On Monday, Sony showed off the capabilities of the next-generation
console it hopes will maintain its lead. The PlayStation 3 was
officially announced at a press conference held in a sound stage at
the Sony Pictures Studio lot here. The PS3 will display
high-definition games and movies using a processor called Cell, which
Sony is developing with Toshiba Corp. and International Business
Machines Corp. Sony executives, in a three-hour multimedia
presentation filled with technical specifications, pie charts and
graphs, said Cell will be 10 times more powerful than the processors
found in currently available personal computers.

"Empowered by the Cell processor with supercomputer-like performance,
a new age of PlayStation is about to begin. Together with content
creators from all over the world, SCEI will accelerate the arrival of
a new era in computer entertainment," president and chief executive
officer Ken Kutaragi said.

Sony is positioning the PlayStation 3, which it says is twice as
powerful as Microsoft's Xbox 360, as the centre of digital home
entertainment. It will play Blu-Ray discs, the high-definition format
Sony is championing as the successor to the DVD. Sony says the machine
will be in stores next spring.

Later in the day, Microsoft held its own multimedia press conference
at the Shrine Auditorium. There were two new revelations: The 360 will
play games made for the current Xbox; and Square Enix, which has sold
60 million copies of its Final Fantasy games, will join the developers
working on 360 titles.

The Electronic Entertainment Expo runs through Friday.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPSt...

--
I'm the brother of No Name, he is my older brother.
When I was born my parents were so happy to have
a new baby they decided to name me New.

My name is New Name.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:43:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"New Name" <new@name.com> wrote in message
news:kc3m811ioag9hhae6jje320slqmmv9r7ji@4ax.com...

> The Revolution, slated for release in 2006, will be the smallest of
> the next-generation consoles,

with the smallest userbase, developer support and games worth playing
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 6:25:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and "Boody Bandit"
<boodybandit@hotmail.com> On Wed, 18 May 2005 13:43:59 -0400 this
person wrote:

>
>"New Name" <new@name.com> wrote in message
>news:kc3m811ioag9hhae6jje320slqmmv9r7ji@4ax.com...
>
>> The Revolution, slated for release in 2006, will be the smallest of
>> the next-generation consoles,
>
>with the smallest userbase, developer support and games worth playing
>

Are you one of them guys that owns one system only and makes fun of
other systems that don't have as many users?

That's sad man.


--
I'm the brother of No Name, he is my older brother.
When I was born my parents were so happy to have
a new baby they decided to name me New.

My name is New Name.
Related resources
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 7:51:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"New Name" <new@name.com> wrote in message
news:632n81lchd7bv9avtjkru4ljs70baqu1in@4ax.com...
> There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and "Boody Bandit"

What's sad is that you hate girls and women.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 7:58:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Old news is so FUN!

"New Name" <new@name.com> wrote in message
news:kc3m811ioag9hhae6jje320slqmmv9r7ji@4ax.com...
> LOS ANGELES -- Nintendo Co. Ltd. entered the next-generation console
> fray yesterday, unveiling its new video-game system, code-named
> Revolution, at a press conference on the eve of the industry's
> showcase event, the Electronic Entertainment Expo.
>
> Nintendo's announcement came one day after Sony Computer Entertainment
> Inc. (SCEI) took the lid off its new console, the PlayStation 3, and a
> Microsoft Corp. event that continued a weeklong blitz of publicity for
> the next Xbox, the 360.
>
> The Revolution, slated for release in 2006, will be the smallest of
> the next-generation consoles, about the size of three DVD cases
> stacked together. The company said the Revolution will feature
> wireless Internet access and will be compatible with games for all of
> its past consoles, stretching back to the Nintendo Entertainment
> System, or NES, which was released in 1983.
>
> In a surprise move, Nintendo actually unveiled two new pieces of
> hardware yesterday. Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive
> vice-president of sales and marketing, also displayed a new GameBoy
> portable system, the Micro, which he pulled from the breast pocket of
> his suit jacket to gasps and some applause from the assembled crowd of
> game enthusiasts and journalists. Mr. Fils-Aime said GameBoy Micro,
> which will be released this fall, will be two-thirds the size of Apple
> Computer Inc.'s iPod Mini and will weigh about the same as 80 paper
> clips.
>
> The Micro will join the GameBoy Advance and the DS in Nintendo's
> handheld lineup. The firm says its handheld systems and games
> represent 94 per cent of the global market despite a recent challenge
> from Sony's PlayStation Portable, or PSP.
>
> In the home console market, however, Sony dominates. It has sold more
> than 80 million PlayStation 2 units worldwide since its 2000 release.
> Microsoft's Xbox and Nintendo's GameCube sit second and third
> respectively in market share, each with about 20 million units sold.
>
> On Monday, Sony showed off the capabilities of the next-generation
> console it hopes will maintain its lead. The PlayStation 3 was
> officially announced at a press conference held in a sound stage at
> the Sony Pictures Studio lot here. The PS3 will display
> high-definition games and movies using a processor called Cell, which
> Sony is developing with Toshiba Corp. and International Business
> Machines Corp. Sony executives, in a three-hour multimedia
> presentation filled with technical specifications, pie charts and
> graphs, said Cell will be 10 times more powerful than the processors
> found in currently available personal computers.
>
> "Empowered by the Cell processor with supercomputer-like performance,
> a new age of PlayStation is about to begin. Together with content
> creators from all over the world, SCEI will accelerate the arrival of
> a new era in computer entertainment," president and chief executive
> officer Ken Kutaragi said.
>
> Sony is positioning the PlayStation 3, which it says is twice as
> powerful as Microsoft's Xbox 360, as the centre of digital home
> entertainment. It will play Blu-Ray discs, the high-definition format
> Sony is championing as the successor to the DVD. Sony says the machine
> will be in stores next spring.
>
> Later in the day, Microsoft held its own multimedia press conference
> at the Shrine Auditorium. There were two new revelations: The 360 will
> play games made for the current Xbox; and Square Enix, which has sold
> 60 million copies of its Final Fantasy games, will join the developers
> working on 360 titles.
>
> The Electronic Entertainment Expo runs through Friday.
>
> http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPSt...
>
> --
> I'm the brother of No Name, he is my older brother.
> When I was born my parents were so happy to have
> a new baby they decided to name me New.
>
> My name is New Name.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 7:58:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and "Jonah Falcon"
<jonahnynla@mindspring.com> On Wed, 18 May 2005 15:58:44 GMT this
person wrote:

>Old news is so FUN!

Top posters are stupid, and new to usenet.


--
I'm the brother of No Name, he is my older brother.
When I was born my parents were so happy to have
a new baby they decided to name me New.

My name is New Name.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:07:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> news:1116448019.395183.4220@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > You call him a troll yet you are bashing a console that is a year
away
> > from release when you know nothing about it?
>
> but as usual to your true form, I see you have no comments for the
> crossposting troll.
> picking your battles and being selective as always I see.

Because we expect those comments from trolls....you, normally a decent
poster I wouldn't expect that kinda talk.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:37:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
news:1116448019.395183.4220@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> You call him a troll yet you are bashing a console that is a year away
> from release when you know nothing about it?

but as usual to your true form, I see you have no comments for the
crossposting troll.
picking your battles and being selective as always I see.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 11:03:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
news:1116448019.395183.4220@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> You call him a troll yet you are bashing a console that is a year away
> from release when you know nothing about it?

btw...
how is this " with the smallest userbase, developer support and games worth
playing " considered bashing?
Nintendo does have the least amount of support.
Analyst are projecting that MS will climb up and away from Nintendo in the
next gen of consoles by a wide margin.
And with the amount of developer support MS and Sony have they will no
doubtedly have a huge advantage in the variety of games to pick from.

Yup, I'm such a basher.
What I said was so freaking lame, full of lies and off the wall.
I'm so ashamed.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 10:32:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Boody Bandit:

>> The Revolution, slated for release in 2006, will be the smallest of
>> the next-generation consoles,
>
> with the smallest userbase, developer support and games worth playing

....and will still make 10X the profits of Sony, heh, heh

Truth

--
McQualude
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 8:12:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and "Boody Bandit"
<boodybandit@hotmail.com> On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:03:33 -0400 this
person wrote:

>Yup, I'm such a basher.
>What I said was so freaking lame, full of lies and off the wall.
>I'm so ashamed.

Have you no self control?

--
I'm the brother of No Name, he is my older brother.
When I was born my parents were so happy to have
a new baby they decided to name me New.

My name is New Name.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 8:16:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and "JoblessDave"
<JoblessDave@notlisted.us> On Wed, 18 May 2005 15:51:02 -0700 this
person wrote:

>"New Name" <new@name.com> wrote in message
>news:632n81lchd7bv9avtjkru4ljs70baqu1in@4ax.com...
>> There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and "Boody Bandit"
>
>What's sad is that you hate girls and women.
>

It's sad that you take everything you read literally.



--
I'm the brother of No Name, he is my older brother.
When I was born my parents were so happy to have
a new baby they decided to name me New.

My name is New Name.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 9:34:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and "Boody Bandit"
<boodybandit@hotmail.com> On Mon, 23 May 2005 07:12:45 -0400 this
person wrote:

>Most of us are sick of lil turd trolls such as yourself.
>Nintnedo information belongs on Nintendo groups and forums, not XBox and

Again troll boy, read the article, it talks about Nintendo, Sony, and
Microsofts new systems, I guess that's what happens when you only read
the subject line.

Or wait, only reading the subject line doesn't make you a troll, I
guess lack of good parents growing up is to blame for that.



--
I'm the brother of No Name, he is my older brother.
When I was born my parents were so happy to have
a new baby they decided to name me New.

My name is New Name.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 9:34:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and "Boody Bandit"
<boodybandit@hotmail.com> On Mon, 23 May 2005 07:14:27 -0400 this
person wrote:

>
>It's sad your dad's sperm was wasted on you.

Nice flame there troll. Maybe spend some time with your kids instead
of being a usenet troll.



--
I'm the brother of No Name, he is my older brother.
When I was born my parents were so happy to have
a new baby they decided to name me New.

My name is New Name.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 9:45:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and "Boody Bandit"
<boodybandit@hotmail.com> On Mon, 23 May 2005 07:12:45 -0400 this
person wrote:

>Nintnedo information belongs on Nintendo groups and forums, not XBox and
>Sony's, and definitely not wrestling.

A couple quotes from the article you obviously didn't read.

"On Monday, Sony showed off the capabilities of the next-generation
console it hopes will maintain its lead. The PlayStation 3"

And another "Later in the day, Microsoft held its own multimedia press
conference at the Shrine Auditorium."

And why was it posted to rec.sport.pro-wrestling? Because alot of
people talk about video games there, and I wanted to generate
interesting conversation.

Now that I exposed you for the troll that you are, will you just STFU
and quit making a fool out of yourself?

Or should I expect another foolish reply from you?


--
I'm the brother of No Name, he is my older brother.
When I was born my parents were so happy to have
a new baby they decided to name me New.

My name is New Name.
!