AMD RADEON 6770 Power? Good enough for games?

Solution
A 5770/6770 will play the heavy games (crysis, metro2033) at medium on 1920x1080 (which still looks very good). Top MMOs like Rift and LotRO it will play at very high (but not ultra). BF2 is more CPU dependent but BF3 promises to be both CPU and GPU intensive.

The only specs different I can find between a 5770 and 6770 is OpenGL 3.2 vs OpenGL 4.1 and AMD 3D support.

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
yes, essentially, the performance of those cards are the same. so if your gaming at 1680x1050, youll be ok. in my wifes rig, i put a 6870 in and she games at the same resolution, playing bfbc2 and aion. so taking the performance a few steps down probably wouldnt hurt at that res. a lower res will of course produce better numbers though.

A 5770/6770 will play the heavy games (crysis, metro2033) at medium on 1920x1080 (which still looks very good). Top MMOs like Rift and LotRO it will play at very high (but not ultra). BF2 is more CPU dependent but BF3 promises to be both CPU and GPU intensive.

The only specs different I can find between a 5770 and 6770 is OpenGL 3.2 vs OpenGL 4.1 and AMD 3D support.

Solution
G

Well just to clear things up it's the 6770 and i'll be on a full hd 1080p monitor so i guess it'll be good for some of the older type of games?

COD it should play at high (probably not very high or max). It should be close to maxxing out DX9 MMOs (Guild Wars, Runes of Magic, etc).

Its a good card for budget gaming. If you want to max out most newer games graphics you need to take a step or two up the ladder.

if i were you id save some money on the cpu and put more into the gpu and get a 6850. you may want to look at a phenom x4 965 or core i3 2100 to save some money there. they are both very capable CPU's for games. AMD motherboards can be had cheaper also. I stongly suggest you find a way to fit the 6850 into your budget.

G

My Main point of the PC is not to game, It's to do everything including some video editing and basically everything. So I've figured that a Intel i5 would benefit then a gpu when im doing everything in one. If i do get the i3 though, i'd get the 8GB but i don't really need it.