Sign in with
Your question

Computer turns off while playing games

Last response: in Components
December 8, 2011 2:23:28 PM

My computer shuts off completely, no blue screen ect. Also it turns right back on no trouble at all. when I play WoW and once while I was streaming a online t.v. show. I recently replaced the fan and heatsink and it seems to be running cool between 40c and 60c Ive had a friend run a program to check my computer and I think it checked all the software and he checked out the hardware finding no problems. It still shuts off. Any ideas? I would really appreciate some advice. btw sorry if any of my terminology is off I dont know much about computers!
December 8, 2011 2:35:12 PM

most likely a power supply issue, or possibly Ram.

Need to know:
Power Supply brand:
Power Supply model/wattage:
Processor:
Graphics Card/s:
Ram:
Motherboard or Computer Make/Model:
Year/Month Purchased:

Also, if it is a ram problem you cannot simply 'run a test' to check it. You have to run a memory specific test for several hours to see if memory is bad. Go download memtest 68+ and run it for at least 8 hours.
December 8, 2011 2:37:30 PM

I got all my money betting on it being your powersupply, I've had this exact thing happen. Either its not enough juice or its got varying voltage going to your graphics card.
Related resources
December 8, 2011 2:38:30 PM

When a computer just plain turns off (no blue screen or reboot) then its usually a power issue. Most often an issue with the PSU, but a dying motherboard is also possible. I'd start by replacing the PSU (or borrowing one for a bit) to see if the problem goes away.

The 40c-60c temps, is that under load or idle? If thats idle temps you could be hitting a thermal limit in the bios. 60c idle is much too hot.
December 8, 2011 8:43:15 PM

thanks for the help i think it was the bios. i updated everything I could along with bios no probs since
November 2, 2012 5:36:59 PM

a computer I built for a co-worker is having the same issue? would you tell me what kind of motherboard, PSU and graphics card you had?
!