Your question

Graphics card dying?

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 8, 2011 11:04:23 AM

I started a thread here last month about my computer suddenly slowing down. I received a very helpful answer which helped me to work out that ZoneAlarm was slowing my computer down. Turning it off seemed to fix the problem. However, the problem has come back now. I posted about this in the old thread, but I think that because it says [Solved], it will get less traffic. If it's wrong to make a new thread, I'm sorry and I'll delete this one.

Anyway, here's my last post from the previous thread.

Quote:
Ok, the slow-down's come back now. ZoneAlarm absolutely destroys my computer now when it's on and even when I completely shut it down my computer is still reasonably slow (though my web browser doesn't lag like it used to - it's really just some games that are slow). I don't have any more processes running in the background than I did before. I thought I'd go back and try to play some of the games that I used to play to see what happened. I loaded up Battlefield Bad Company 2 and joined a server. It loaded the map fully, I got to the kit selection screen and it froze after about 3 seconds, then crashed to the desktop after having been frozen for a few seconds. I play it at 1280x960 resolution and have my desktop at 1152x864 - but after the crash it stayed at 1280x960 (usually if a game crashes that doesn't happen). I tried loading all the other maps (in case it was just some that crashed) and all of them froze and crashed. I turned off Windows Firewall and all other programs and still the same happened. I used to play with maximum graphics except AA, so I turned it down to the lowest graphics I could and it still crashed.

Borderlands runs reasonably OK for a minute or two and then starts to get slower and slower to the point that it's simply unplayable. Changing the graphics from highest to lowest has absolutely no affect on this.

Mount and Blade: Warband (one of the least intensive games I own) has a constant 100 FPS now (it used to be at the 120 FPS cap). However, despite being apparently at 100 FPS, I'm noticing definite stuttering and delayed visual response (I click to block someone's swing and it blocks slower, but it also blocks their swing when their weapon is nowhere near mine - it hasn't even connected with the block!). I have a constant 20 ms ping.

I really think that it's a graphics card issue - back when WoT was crashing I'd get DirectX errors coming up and all of this seems to be graphics issues. WoT works well enough still, btw - I can't remember how fast it used to run, but it's certainly running significantly better with ZoneAlarm turned off. I think that ZoneAlarm slowing my computer might just be a symptom of a larger problem.

As I said, I've checked through all the programs running. The only one that occasionally uses a small amount of CPU (maximum of 3 - whatever the units are :??:  ) and which has a large I/O read (around 3 billion bytes) is jqs.exe (a Java program, which apparently should have a large I/O read anyway). I've completely defragged my HDD, updated the graphics driver to the latest version, scanned for viruses and spyware, cleaned out every component in my tower (some dust, but not much). CPU is still apparently fine (according to Intel's CPU test), HDD is fine (according to Seagate's HDD test) and I'm not sure how to test my GFX card - everything out seems to be there to benchmark it; but I've got no idea what kind of numbers it should be getting. The fans aren't making any more or less noise than they used to and appear to be running fine.

Any chance anyone would happen to know what's wrong? I'd really rather not buy a new GFX card until I'm pretty certain that that's the issue here. Is there any way to test if my graphics card is running as it should be?

Also, should I start a new thread for this?

Thanks very much, again :) 

The old thread is here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/319060-31-running-slo... .

As I said, if anyone knows what's wrong, how to fix it or how I would go about testing/finding what's wrong, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks :) 

More about : graphics card dying

September 8, 2011 11:36:02 AM

I doubt very much that it is a GPU issue. You need to put up your specs and the OS you are running so people know what they are dealing with.
m
l
September 8, 2011 12:00:58 PM

you do need a good firewall and if you havent been using one and connecting via DSL or cable then there is every chance your computer is infected with a decent number of viruses , trojans and worms . Some or all of which may be affecting performance .

Even if you had the windows firewall on there is one chance in about 40 billion that this is a graphics card problem

Clean the computer up using antivirus software . AVAST is free and has a boot scanner you should run when you install it
http://www.avast.com/index

Then install a good free firewall called COMODO
http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/
Domt imstall the comodo antivirus , and make really sure the defense + module is turned OFF . The idea is to make your computer run faster not make it crawl .

Then when all is updated run the virus scanner again .

m
l
September 8, 2011 12:36:44 PM

Wamphryi said:
I doubt very much that it is a GPU issue. You need to put up your specs and the OS you are running so people know what they are dealing with.

I'm not sure whether I'm pleased or sad that it's not a GPU issue. I just hope it's not anything more expensive to replace than my GPU.

Specs are in the old thread. Here you go:

Quote:
My specs:
GeForce 9800GT (driver is a month or two old, but I can't imagine that not updating my driver caused a 2003 game to suddenly lag)
Intel Core2Duo E7300 2.66GHz
4 GB generic RAM
Seagate 500 GB (Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 3Gb/s)
I have 70 GB of space on the drive (which actually has 466 GB, not 500 GB) and it's reasonably fragmented - though not any more than it was a few days ago. Still, I'm working through the slow process of defragging.
Windows XP SP3
Nothing overclocked

m
l
September 8, 2011 12:38:37 PM

Outlander_04 said:
you do need a good firewall and if you havent been using one and connecting via DSL or cable then there is every chance your computer is infected with a decent number of viruses , trojans and worms . Some or all of which may be affecting performance .

Even if you had the windows firewall on there is one chance in about 40 billion that this is a graphics card problem

Clean the computer up using antivirus software . AVAST is free and has a boot scanner you should run when you install it

Domt imstall the comodo antivirus , and make really sure the defense + module is turned OFF . The idea is to make your computer run faster not make it crawl .

I've run AVG, Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware and they've come up clean. Still, I'll try Avast and I'll install Comodo.

If everything checks out fine, what else should I be doing? If it's not a GPU problem, what could it be (if not a virus/trojan/etc)?

Also, sorry for double posting,but I can't find how to multiquote.
m
l
September 8, 2011 1:23:51 PM

Outlander_04 said:

Firewall is NOT always needed if your computer is connected directly to the modem it is a good idea to have one but if you have a router you already have a hardware firewall having a software firewall is overkill and does not make you any safer.
Firewalls do not stop malware and most viruses that is the job of an antivirus or anti-malware program.

there are 7 causes of this type of problem:

1) having 2 antivirus programs running at same time can make your system crawl make sure you are only running 1 and it is up to date in version and definitions.

2) Spyware and viruses and rootkits can cause your machine to run slow start off by doing a rootkit scan
-download tdsskiller
-run tdsskiller and follow instructions
-download malwarebytes anti-malware and run it remove anything it finds.

3) Too many programs running in the background sometimes with OEM mfg machines they are loaded with bloatware this can really slow your system down download Pc Decrapifer and run it

4) Your hard drive could be failing and have bad sectors this can REALLY slow down a system go to computer(7,vista)/my computer(xp) on C: right click select properties, select tools and error checking click check now and restart windows watch scan it will show if you have any bad sectors.

5) Registry and temp files you may registry errors and too many temp files can slow down a system download download ccleaner and run it do clean and then registry clean do backups of any changes just incase.

6) Thermal problems with cpu/videocard check make sure your cpu fan cooling fins are clean and no dust and are spinning IF your video card has a fan do the same if your video card has a fan and is not spinning best to replace it.

*Most likely cause in your case
7) corrupt directx/video drivers start off by uninstalling any video drivers you have installed and then install the newest video driver then go to microsoft.com and download Directx install it look for any errors if no errors try your games again.
Also make sure you have chipset drivers installed for your motherboard.
m
l
September 9, 2011 8:24:10 AM

techguy911 said:
there are 7 causes of this type of problem:

1) having 2 antivirus programs running at same time can make your system crawl make sure you are only running 1 and it is up to date in version and definitions.

Ok, I've made sure of that - only Avast is running now (and with very limited capability).

techguy911 said:
2) Spyware and viruses and rootkits can cause your machine to run slow start off by doing a rootkit scan
-download tdsskiller
-run tdsskiller and follow instructions
-download malwarebytes anti-malware and run it remove anything it finds.

I did this and found one rootkit with tdsskiller and made sure to delete it. I scanned again and it said there were no threats. I've already been using MalwareBytes 9with latest database) and it hasn't come up with anything major or new.

techguy911 said:
3) Too many programs running in the background sometimes with OEM mfg machines they are loaded with bloatware this can really slow your system down download Pc Decrapifer and run it

I used that and only a handful of programs came up, so I removed those that I could.

techguy911 said:
4) Your hard drive could be failing and have bad sectors this can REALLY slow down a system go to computer(7,vista)/my computer(xp) on C: right click select properties, select tools and error checking click check now and restart windows watch scan it will show if you have any bad sectors.

I did that and checked the report and it said that there was 0 KB of data on bad sectors. I'm assuming that means there's no bad sectors?

techguy911 said:
5) Registry and temp files you may registry errors and too many temp files can slow down a system download download ccleaner and run it do clean and then registry clean do backups of any changes just incase.

Yep, done that already and removed everything that came up.

techguy911 said:
6) Thermal problems with cpu/videocard check make sure your cpu fan cooling fins are clean and no dust and are spinning IF your video card has a fan do the same if your video card has a fan and is not spinning best to replace it.

I've already dusted it all out - I took everything apart and ensured that there was no dust left in the heatsinks. Also, the CPU and GPU fans are both spinning fine. The GPU is usually at 40 C or so and gets as high as 62 C, IIRC. The processor is usually in the 50s C.

techguy911 said:
*Most likely cause in your case
7) corrupt directx/video drivers start off by uninstalling any video drivers you have installed and then install the newest video driver then go to microsoft.com and download Directx install it look for any errors if no errors try your games again.
Also make sure you have chipset drivers installed for your motherboard.

I've done that now too. I fully uninstalled the graphics driver. When my computer started up after that, the GPU fan stayed at maximum speed until Windows had installed the basic driver and restarted. After being at max speed for a while it started to make a strange sound (never heard it make it before). I sounded almost like there was something hanging into the fan and hitting each fan blade as it passed. After restarting though, this noise was gone. I then installed the latest driver and restarted.

I tried to install the latest DirectX, but it just says that I'm fully up to date and gives me no other options than to finish.

After doing this, BF:BC2 still crashes after loading into a map and I'm pretty sure that borderlands is still running slowly (I can't even remember what it was like when it was good anymore). I set it to a higher priority in task manager and that sped it up a little bit, but I still think it was slowing down the more I played it.

Also, when I start up now, I have svchost.exe using up 50 CPU. I just end the process and it never comes back. Not sure what's doing that.

I got 50% of the way through an Avast boot scan, but it took several hours and I really needed to use my computer, so I cancelled it. I'll try running it again tonight.

Any more help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks very much for the responses everyone :) 
m
l
September 10, 2011 2:19:24 AM

It's getting REALLY bad now. After my computer's loaded up at login, I click on Google Chrome and open up this thread. It's hung all three times. Two times it finally worked, but the scroll bar turned to the old 'square'-style Classic scroll bar. The other time, my whole start bar turned to the old Classic view style start bar.

This would be OK, except that when it changed the start bar to the classic style (after freezing for a while), I had six tabs/sites open instead of just this one. After changing to the classic style it worked for a little bit more, then froze again and then a blue screen (of death?) appeared for a fraction of a second and my computer was restarting. Once it had 'restarted' it got past the BIOS screen, the screen went black and just stayed like that indefinitely. Once I restarted again, it started up slowly, but started. I quickly checked the temps of everything and my CPU was at 79 C and 74 C (dual core)! They're now back down to 49 C and 45 C.

Also, that bloody svchost.exe thing is still taking up 50 CPU when I start up. I think that was part of the reason for the CPU having such a high temperature - once I killed the stupid thing, the temp started to slowly drop. However, it clearly isn't the cause of the issue, because I make sure to kill it at every single start up.

Please, could anyone help? I'm really worried that I'm going to damage or destroy my computer (or at least a component of it) if I keep using it, but I have a whole heap of work that I need to do on it, so not using it isn't really an option. Does anyone know what this could be or are there any tests/things I should check to find out what it could be? Thanks very much in advance.
m
l
September 10, 2011 7:07:43 PM

For me, after finding a fixing a rootkit or other malware, I'd format down the system and reload the operating system. The tools that kill the rootkit often cannot find/fix all of the damage it has caused. Sometimes they do not get all of the infection.

If you go to START, RUN and type CMD in the run box you'll get a box where you can enter commands. Type MSCONFIG (google msconfig first so you know i'm not messing with you). Then look at the tasks that are kicked off at startup. Do a diagnostic startup without launching all of these programs. Does the PC start OK? Performance OK? then do selective startup and turn off all the things that start using the check boxes. Add them back in one at a time until you isolate which ones are causing problems. Maybe you'll find just one or two bad things. I'd google each of the programs in your startups and make sure they are not left over from the rootkit. (Actually I'd just save the data I need like game instal keys and format the PC and reload, but if you don't want to do that maybe this will help.)

Generally you can't hurt the hardware in your system at the temps you are running, but you can mess up the disk content -- i.e. lost data.

If a clean restore of the PC still has stability/performacne problems then it's time for some heavy duty HW debugging. Post again. 90% of the time its software nto hardware.
m
l
September 10, 2011 9:00:21 PM

At this point Im with tsnor .

The quickest , simplest fix is to back up all you data files and reformat .
If you cant run your computer long enough to do that then buy a new hard drive , replace the one thats in the machine , install windows
the motherboard drivers
an AV
a software firewall , which despite some earlier advice , you NEED

once the machine is running you can connect the old hard drive and copy all the files you wish to save . And then format it to completely kill off any problems .
A new 1 terabyte hard drive costs about $60
m
l
September 11, 2011 4:45:49 AM

Ok, thanks very much guys. My computer at least isn't crashing after a few minutes currently, so I'm going to finish up my work for the weekend and then I'll try using MSCONFIG tomorrow to turn off all the programs and see if I can work out which is causing the problem. If I can't work it out, I'll do a backup and reformat. I was hoping to avoid reformatting, but at least it'd be free if it worked, which is better than buying a new piece of hardware.

If I do end up having to reformat, is it reasonably safe for me to just backup the entirety of 'My Documents' or do I run the risk of having whatever is causing the issue resurfacing? I'm kinda hoping that it'd just be embedded in some system folder rather than my documents.
m
l
September 11, 2011 5:35:41 AM

You would be reasonably safe backing up your document folder

when your pc is running and fully up to date you can scan your back up before restoring it
m
l
September 11, 2011 1:21:42 PM

An external USB drive can hold ALL of your current drive. Suggest you use windows backup to save everything, including making a bootable CD in case you need to restore everything. Then do the format/reinstall. This way you have all your old files in case you want to be backup. Cost 1TB external USB is less than $100.

Then once you like you new system set windows up to periodically do an incremental backup on the USB drive. It'll save you a lot of grief if the seagate 7200.12 fails.

Alternatively, if the 500GB drive is getting small get a nice 1TB or 1.5TB new drive and just swap it with your old drive. Do the new windows install to the new drive. If it goes bad the old drive is safe in the anti-static packaging the new drive came in. Cost $60 for spinpoint f3 1TB or $140 for WD Black 1.5TB
m
l
September 13, 2011 2:58:10 PM

OK, I finally got around to using the MSCONFIG. I turned off every single startup item with it, excluding RunDLL33 and NvCpl (the two Nvidia programs - I'm using games as benchmarks, so I need DLL files to open). I also (at the same time) had it running as Diagnostic Startup.

I still experienced the slowdowns. There was a little less initial lag, but this could be attributed to having absolutely nothing running in the background except vital system processes and Nvidia's programs. However, all my games still slowed down quickly and became a slideshow. BF:BC2 loaded the map and actually lasted long enough for me to spawn - it ran extremely slowly and with lots of stuttering for a few seconds, then froze and crashed like normal.

In light of this, should I still be going ahead and reformatting? If not, what should I do?

Thanks again, for helping me out :) 
m
l
September 14, 2011 12:09:30 AM

Format. and GL. Post if it gets better. Post if it doesn't -- after a format you've ruled out SW problems. That mostly leaves HW problems and people will revisit all of the overheating, conflict, failing drive, etc types of solutions.

Make sure you have a clean set of recovery media.

m
l
September 14, 2011 1:19:53 AM

tsnor said:
Format. and GL. Post if it gets better. Post if it doesn't -- after a format you've ruled out SW problems. That mostly leaves HW problems and people will revisit all of the overheating, conflict, failing drive, etc types of solutions.

Make sure you have a clean set of recovery media.

OK, I'll reformat it sometime this week when I have the time. Right now I'm too busy, but I should be fine to do it later. I never seem to have the simple problems like a broken fan or a trojan :lol: 

Thanks again for stepping me through all the troubleshooting - I'd be lost (or paying several hundred for many new components on a whim) otherwise :) 
m
l
September 22, 2011 1:57:52 PM

I still haven't had the time to reformat it yet. I've experienced a lot more crashes and BSODs. I think it might be a RAM issue (I still haven't run memtest - keep forgetting to buy CDs when I go shopping). I worked out how to open the minidump file generated by one of the BSODs. Here's what it says (not sure if it's useful):

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.12.0002.633 X86
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini092211-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is:
Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 3) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal
Built by: 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xe0ba3000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xe0c29720
Debug session time: Thu Sep 22 17:06:54.921 2011 (UTC + 10:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 2:43:25.644
Loading Kernel Symbols
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000008E, {e0000001, f6198925, be4ea2f8, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nv4_disp.dll
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nv4_disp.dll
Probably caused by : nv4_disp.dll ( nv4_disp+1db0ec )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

1: kd> !analyze -v
* Bugcheck Analysis *

KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000008e)
This is a very common bugcheck. Usually the exception address pinpoints
the driver/function that caused the problem. Always note this address
as well as the link date of the driver/image that contains this address.
Some common problems are exception code 0x80000003. This means a hard
coded breakpoint or assertion was hit, but this system was booted
/NODEBUG. This is not supposed to happen as developers should never have
hardcoded breakpoints in retail code, but ...
If this happens, make sure a debugger gets connected, and the
system is booted /DEBUG. This will let us see why this breakpoint is
happening.
Arguments:
Arg1: e0000001, The exception code that was not handled
Arg2: f6198925, The address that the exception occurred at
Arg3: be4ea2f8, Trap Frame
Arg4: 00000000

Debugging Details:
------------------

EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xe0000001 - <Unable to get error code text>

FAULTING_IP:
watchdog!RaiseExceptionInThread+b
f6198925 c3 ret

TRAP_FRAME: be4ea2f8 -- (.trap 0xffffffffbe4ea2f8)
ESP EDITED! New esp=be4ea6a8
ErrCode = 00000000
eax=e233c800 ebx=00000001 ecx=000001f0 edx=00000001 esi=e29a6e50 edi=0000ffff
eip=f6198925 esp=be4ea36c ebp=be4ea6c0 iopl=0 nv up ei pl nz na pe nc
cs=0000 ss=0010 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0030 gs=0000 efl=00000206
watchdog!RaiseExceptionInThread+0xb:
f6198925 c3 ret
Resetting default scope

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x8E

PROCESS_NAME: chrome.exe

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from f6198622 to f6198925

STACK_TEXT:
be4ea368 e0c130e6 be4ea37c be4ea3cc 00000001 watchdog!RaiseExceptionInThread+0xb
be4ea6c0 debb00ec e29a4c00 e29a5f40 deb556d0 nt!ExRaiseStatus+0xca
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 nv4_disp+0x1db0ec

STACK_COMMAND: .trap 0xffffffffbe4ea2f8 ; kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
nv4_disp+1db0ec
debb00ec ?? ???

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 2

SYMBOL_NAME: nv4_disp+1db0ec

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nv4_disp

IMAGE_NAME: nv4_disp.dll

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 4e390d56

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x8E_nv4_disp+1db0ec

BUCKET_ID: 0x8E_nv4_disp+1db0ec

---------

* Bugcheck Analysis *

happening.
Arguments:

Debugging Details:
------------------

FAULTING_IP:
f6198925 c3 ret

ErrCode = 00000000
f6198925 c3 ret
Resetting default scope

STACK_TEXT:
be4ea368 e0c130e6 be4ea37c be4ea3cc 00000001 watchdog!RaiseExceptionInThread+0xb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
nv4_disp+1db0ec
debb00ec ?? ???

---------

* Bugcheck Analysis *

happening.
Arguments:

Debugging Details:
------------------

FAULTING_IP:
f6198925 c3 ret

ErrCode = 00000000
f6198925 c3 ret
Resetting default scope

STACK_TEXT:

FOLLOWUP_IP:
nv4_disp+1db0ec
debb00ec ?? ???

---------

This happened when I tried to make a youtube video go fullscreen. I had maybe 6 or so Google Chrome tabs open at the time. If this helps anyone work out what's wrong, I'd really appreciate any ideas/advice. If not, I'll try to run memtest in a few days and reformat after that if necessary.

Thanks again :) 
m
l
September 22, 2011 10:01:45 PM

This is a fault in the nVidia device driver for your video card. Suggest you download and install the latest from www.nVidia.com. If it throws another bluescreen also ref'ing nv4_disp then try the prior driver.

Note, teh nvidia module "nv4_disp" could jsut have been the victim of the problem, not the cause. Depending what got hacked with the rootkit anything could be bad.
m
l
September 22, 2011 11:42:20 PM

Damn; I've got the latest driver already. I had a several month old driver before all this started and updated to the latest driver when my computer started slowing down. I might just roll back my drivers to one of the 18x.xx drivers; they were always the most stable for my 9800 GT, I found. If that doesn't help, maybe nv4_disp is just the victim of the problem?
m
l
November 25, 2011 6:45:39 AM

Sorry for necroing my thread, but I've had a new development. I basically stopped using my computer for the last two months due to a lack of funds to fix it and a lack of time to attempt to screw with it myself. I've got back on it and thought I'd fire up Minecraft. On a whim I checked SIW and SpeedFan and found that my CPU was at 96C.

I've got to assume that this is pretty bloody bad - I mean, I freak out when my GPU reaches 70C in the middle of summer when running an intensive game; but today is pretty cold and all I'm running is Minecraft!

How do I stop my processor from reaching these temps? Do I need a new fan/heatsink or just completely replace the processor.

Is it possible that the CPU is my only problem, based on the above information? Could these minidumps that keep mentioning nv4_disp somehow be due to the CPU or is the CPU temp an unrelated problem?

Here's a screenshot in case you don't believe me. I'm not quite sure I believe it lol.

Edit: Thought I'd add: once I closed Minecraft, it quickly went down to 57C and is now around 52C and stable. I'm assuming that this means the heatsink/fan aren't the main issue - surely if they were the problem, the CPU would have stayed at 90C or so for a while?
m
l
November 30, 2011 4:44:33 AM

OK, I took the heatsink off the CPU and found that the thermal paste stuff had become dry. I scraped it off a bit and put some new thermal paste on, whacked the heatsink back on hard and turned the computer on. Idle temps of 37C or so and my computer is running as good as the day I got it.

So, all along, when I've been thinking it was graphics card issues (mostly due to the minidumps I was getting), maybe RAM issue or software issues and it turns out to be something as simple as thermal paste going weird. My CPU temps were highish when I first started (50C or so), but once they suddenly reached 90C+ I finally decided to check it out. I'm glad I did.

I think the issue was that the CPU was purposely running slow to stop from overheating (I've read that it's a feature of Core2Duos). Then, something screwed up and it allowed itself to go to 90C+. Maybe? I don't really know.

Just thought I'd post this in case others have these problems and look for a fix later. Maybe the fix will be something as simple as putting some $5 thermal paste between your CPU and its heatsink.
m
l
!