HgG6d7

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
i have a ECS A770M-A Motherboard with AMD phenom CPU.

all of a sudden it like died. that is no BIOS screen when booting, nada. fans get power and drives spin up. i took the memory out to test if i would get any beeps when booting. no beeps either without memory. replaced BIOS battery. the monitor detects the video card when powered up so i think the video card is ok.

i don't know whether to replace the MB or MB and CPU or what? it is an old MB & CPU.

HgG6d7

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
took out the CPU & mem and powered the board up. fans on, leds on, HDs spin but no beeps, etc.

i noticed 3 caps close to the cmos battery and cmos clear pin having their tops pressed outward versus flat. the "popped cap" issue.

i'll look on the net and see if i can find this same MB and get this DC up and running. in the meantime i'll spec a new one.

guess i could desolder those three caps and replace them and see how that goes.

for now, point of failure just might be those 3 caps.

You can recap the board and it might start working again but I can't say that it will fix it. Boards and power supplies sometimes suffer no damage at all when caps fail and are easily fixed. To replace the caps they must be the same voltage but you can use higher uf rated caps if you wish but polarity must match or they will blow. You can replace with either electrolytic or solid polymer caps.

HgG6d7

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
yes, its a gamble. but the board is old and i found only one website that still sells it, for 88.00usd.

www.badcaps.net sells the electrolytic caps i need, "1000uf 6.3v 8mm". might be more trouble than its worth but going to try it.

appreciate the reply