Digital camera with least shutter lag, optical viewfinder ..

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 30, 2005 11:18:25 PM

Am buying my 1st digital camera with a budget of approx $500 Cdn. I have a
Canon Rebel film SLR and love it - looking for equivalent, minus the
removeable lens as long as I can get a 35/105 equivalent. As old habits die
hard, I'm looking for one where I have the option of a "through the lens"
style viewfinder. I'm also looking for the lowest possible shutter speed
lag, as I like taking action shots. Small form factor would also be nice,
which is why I'm trying to avoid the interchangeable lenses.

Any suggestions?

TIA - R.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 11:18:26 PM

I have not kept up with non DSLR digital cameras so I can't give any
camreas to look at, but I would look at getting a lens with more range
then 35/105 equivalent. That is just about the range my Nikon 995 had,
one of the reasons I get the Sony F828 was the larger zoom range, 28 to
200 equivalent. There are now a fair number of camera that have this
range.

Scott
March 30, 2005 11:18:26 PM

take a look at the Fuji E550
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fuji_e550.h...

"R." <rob.fisher@ourden.ca> wrote in message
> Am buying my 1st digital camera with a budget of approx $500 Cdn. I have a
> Canon Rebel film SLR and love it - looking for equivalent, minus the
> removeable lens as long as I can get a 35/105 equivalent. As old habits
> die hard, I'm looking for one where I have the option of a "through the
> lens" style viewfinder. I'm also looking for the lowest possible shutter
> speed lag, as I like taking action shots. Small form factor would also be
> nice, which is why I'm trying to avoid the interchangeable lenses.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA - R.

March 30, 2005 11:18:26 PM

R. wrote:
> Am buying my 1st digital camera with a budget of approx $500 Cdn. I have a
> Canon Rebel film SLR and love it - looking for equivalent, minus the
> removeable lens as long as I can get a 35/105 equivalent. As old habits die
> hard, I'm looking for one where I have the option of a "through the lens"
> style viewfinder. I'm also looking for the lowest possible shutter speed
> lag, as I like taking action shots. Small form factor would also be nice,
> which is why I'm trying to avoid the interchangeable lenses.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA - R.

Check the Kodak DX7590. Much nicer lens.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

"That is just about the range my Nikon 995 had,
one of the reasons I get the Sony F828 was the larger zoom range, 28 to

200 equivalent. There are now a fair number of camera that have this "

is that optical or optical+digital zoom?
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 11:18:26 PM

"R." <rob.fisher@ourden.ca> wrote in message
> Am buying my 1st digital camera with a budget of approx $500 Cdn. I have a
> Canon Rebel film SLR and love it - looking for equivalent, minus the
> removeable lens as long as I can get a 35/105 equivalent. As old habits
die
> hard, I'm looking for one where I have the option of a "through the lens"
> style viewfinder. I'm also looking for the lowest possible shutter speed
> lag, as I like taking action shots. Small form factor would also be nice,
> which is why I'm trying to avoid the interchangeable lenses.
>
> Any suggestions?

Check out the Canon G6, although it may be a little over you budget. You
might also check out the following:

http://digitalcamerashortlist.com/

It gives a short list (with features) of what they consider the best digital
cameras as well as a list of cameras to avoid and why.

Ron
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 1:04:39 AM

R. wrote:
> Am buying my 1st digital camera with a budget of approx $500 Cdn. I
> have a Canon Rebel film SLR and love it - looking for equivalent,
> minus the removeable lens as long as I can get a 35/105 equivalent.
> As old habits die hard, I'm looking for one where I have the option
> of a "through the lens" style viewfinder. I'm also looking for the
> lowest possible shutter speed lag, as I like taking action shots.
> Small form factor would also be nice, which is why I'm trying to
> avoid the interchangeable lenses.
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA - R.

How about a Canon 20D. The kit lens is a very nice inexpensive 28-88
equivalent and your 35-105 should also work giving you a something
equivalent to about 55 - 170.

Shutter lag is almost 0. It has a real SLR viewfinder.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:34:24 AM

R. wrote:
> Am buying my 1st digital camera with a budget of approx $500 Cdn. I have a
> Canon Rebel film SLR and love it - looking for equivalent, minus the
> removeable lens as long as I can get a 35/105 equivalent. As old habits die
> hard, I'm looking for one where I have the option of a "through the lens"
> style viewfinder. I'm also looking for the lowest possible shutter speed
> lag, as I like taking action shots. Small form factor would also be nice,
> which is why I'm trying to avoid the interchangeable lenses.
>
> Any suggestions?

Why not look at a Digital Rebel? It's a bit over your budget, but
considering the "kit" version with the 18-55mm lens goes for under
CDN$1000 now, and the body-only package can be had for around
$800-$850... less if you can find it used, or find a store that's
unloading them because the new RebelXT is out, it may be worth scraping
together a few extra pennies.

You'll find it looks and feels very much like your film Rebel, basic
functions work the same (shutter, aperture, focus point selection,
etc.), and you can use your existing Rebel's lens(es) and any other
accessories with it as well (flash, filters, etc.). If you bought the
kit version of the film Rebel with the 28-80mm or 28-90mm lens, that
lens will give the equivalent view/magnification to a 40-120mm or
40-135mm when used on the digital camera.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:53:59 PM

Mr.Bolshoy Huy wrote:
> "That is just about the range my Nikon 995 had,
> one of the reasons I get the Sony F828 was the larger zoom range, 28
>
> 200 equivalent. There are now a fair number of camera that have this
> "
>
> is that optical or optical+digital zoom?

See:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:32:43 PM

R wrote:
> Am buying my 1st digital camera with a budget of approx $500 Cdn. I have a
> Canon Rebel film SLR and love it - looking for equivalent, minus the
> removeable lens as long as I can get a 35/105 equivalent. As old habits
> die hard, I'm looking for one where I have the option of a "through the
> lens" style viewfinder. I'm also looking for the lowest possible shutter
> speed lag, as I like taking action shots. Small form factor would also be
> nice, which is why I'm trying to avoid the interchangeable lenses.

Not an equivalent of Rebel obviously, nevertheless, it is well regarded in
reviews; it satisfies your other criterion:

Ricoh Caplio R1v/Rollei dr5 (The Rollei has an additional video clip
format, QuickTime Motion, and in 640 x 480 pixels)

--
Lin Chung.
[The Water Margins of Liang Shan Po were at the time of the Sung dynasty.