Video Freezing / Prioritization Issue???

cncnowland

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I posted in the wrong forums so re-posted here....

First off, not sure where to put this because I am unsure of where the problem lies. Sorry in advance if in the wrong location.

So, this is my first computer build, my skill level is around novice to a little higher. The components of my build are as follows:

ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0)
Intel Core i5-2500K
XFX HD-695X-CNDC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express
G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA
Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready
COOLER MASTER HAF 922
Windows 7 64 Bit

I installed everything at factory settings, no OC's. I have run all updates on Windows and the Mobo and Video Card. Accoriding to the Mobo AI, the temps across the board run about 35-40 C.

I mainly use the game for MMO's (World of Warcraft) and other online games (Dirt3).

The issue I have run into is... While playing WoW, it appears the window becomes inactive where and I can't play for about 3-5 seconds. As I click the keyboard buttons, I hear a beeping from the Mobo (one for every click). The only way to re-engage the window is to mouse click on the screen then it works fine. The FPS in game drops down to 5-15 during this incident. This happens every 4-6 minutes. This alos occurs while playing Dirt3. When racing, it will pop up the in-race menu for about 3-5 seconds, then lets me continue the race.

Asking some friends, the thought it might be a prioritization issue. I went into MSConfig and disabled everything not Micorsoft in the "Startup" and "Services" tabs. No luck, same issue. I have also update all drivers and BIOS on the Mobo and Video Card. Same problem. Now I question myself as to why I didn't buy complete system.

I use wireless Logitech devices (keyboard/mouse and headset G930). I thought the USB transmitters mightbe causing a problem. I removed those but same issue. I need to confirm that I got all the drivers off, not sure though.

I am out of ideas. Any help you may provide I would greatly appreciate it. I can provide you with my BIOS/driver rev numbers if needed as well. Thanks in advance

Your cpu has specific memory requirements and it could be you have the wrong memory for that cpu. After looking at the specifications for the cpu it says ddr3 1066 and 1333 memory , also even though your memory says low voltage I think it is running 1.6v and that cpu wants 1.5v. I'm not saying this is your issue but it could be and you do need to check it out before you damage the cpu memory controller.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

Sounds like cpu throttling to me, check the bios thermal throttling and see what it is set to also it could be due to a mis-mounted cpu fan not making proper contact with cpu heating up then throttling check that the cpu fan is mounted properly and fan is spinning.
When you installed the cpu fan was there thermal paste there like on bottom of fan if there is no paste that could be your problem.

cncnowland

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Not sure how to check the bios thermal throttling but I will look when I get home.

In regards to the heatsink/fan, I used Artic Silver paste when mounting. There was no paste on it already before installing, just a plastic cover where it sits on the CPU. I can reinstall the heatsink/fan with new paste if needed.

Also, I don't remember seeing the CPU temp abnormally high using the Mobo AI Suite program. I want to stay it stays around 35-40 degrees Celsius.