Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I7 2600 vs i5 2500k

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 8, 2011 5:32:06 PM

Hi, due to many of the recent events, i found out that I've purchased a 2600 instead of a 2600k. I was originally thinking about purchasing 2500k by selling my 2600, but now that I've found out it is a 2600, I don't think I will make much more money by selling it and buying 2500k.

So, 2600 VS 2500k

which is faster and a 'better processor' in your mind?

PS. I don't plan to overclock anytime soon, just normal usage + gaming and such.

Also, will this motherboard support 2600?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks so much guys!!

More about : 2600 2500k

a c 888 à CPUs
December 8, 2011 5:47:14 PM

Yes on the motherboard! If you are not overclocking the 2600 is the better CPU!
m
0
l
a c 190 à CPUs
December 8, 2011 5:48:54 PM

Here are the differences between the Intel® Core™ i7-2600 and the Intel Core i5-2500K:
Intel Core i7-2600
-Support TXT (Trusted Execution Technology) a business level virus protection feature
-Support for VT-d (Virtualization with Directed I/O) ability to assign hardware to a VM.
-Intel HD 2000 Graphics
-100MHz faster clock speed
-Hyper-threading (4 core/ 8 threads)
-2MB of additional cache
Intel Core i5-2500K
-Unlocked multiplier (allows overclocking)
-Intel HD 3000 Graphics better than the HD 2000 Graphics

Since very few games can take advantage of more than 4 threads and the extra features on the Intel Core i7-2600 and Intel Core i7-2600K don’t make a lot of difference most of the time in games the Intel Core i5-2500K ends up being the processor of choice for gaming. You can take the $100 and spend it on a better video card or even a small SSD and get better performance.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
0
l
Related resources
December 8, 2011 6:15:43 PM

swiftghost said:
Hi, due to many of the recent events, i found out that I've purchased a 2600 instead of a 2600k. I was originally thinking about purchasing 2500k by selling my 2600, but now that I've found out it is a 2600, I don't think I will make much more money by selling it and buying 2500k.

So, 2600 VS 2500k

which is faster and a 'better processor' in your mind?

PS. I don't plan to overclock anytime soon, just normal usage + gaming and such.

Also, will this motherboard support 2600?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks so much guys!!


You need to figure out that "PS" you added before making ANY decision; it will save you much more money / anger than you think down the road. If you had said "I don't plan on overclocking EVER", then fine, but that's not the case.

2600 vs 2500k, like it was mentionned, the 2600 is the faster processor, but NOT the "better" in the minds of many, as for gaming, the hyperthreading is pretty much useless, so the extra cash for an i7 is nearly wasted.

Even if you somehow want to overclock 8-12 months down the road, you'll kick yourself for not getting the 2500k as all you'll need at that point is a good HSF and to change 4-5 settings in the BIOS to get 4.5GHz
m
0
l
December 8, 2011 6:37:31 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Right now I have a pretty much new 2600 I got for 230$. I don't know many people who would want it for 230 or more...that's my problem here. I think I might end up spending the same amount of money buy selling 2600 and then buying 2500k, thus not making the profit to put it towards a graphics card.

in this case, should I still make the change (sell 2600 and buy 2500l) or should I just stay with 2600?

I don't plan to overclock. Thanks for your emphasis :D 
m
0
l
a c 888 à CPUs
December 8, 2011 6:39:48 PM

Stay with the I7 2600 if you are not overclocking, you might even loose money selling it.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2011 6:42:32 PM

swiftghost said:
I don't plan to overclock. Thanks for your emphasis :D 

Then the 2600 is the best processor for you. Stop thinking about selling it, install it and enjoy it. The "K" is only relevant if you want to overclock. Since you don't want to overclock it turns out you bought the right chip!
m
0
l
December 8, 2011 6:51:44 PM

Oh, that's a pleasant surprise. I've always heard that sandy bridge is faster than the normal series. Thanks for the info!!! Now I don't have to worry my head off to sell it.

I am assuming that ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard will support 2600, right?

Thank you so much for all of your guidance thus far! It's helped me a lot.
m
0
l
a c 888 à CPUs
December 8, 2011 6:55:04 PM

The I7 2600 is a Sandy bridge CPU that it does not have the K in the name just means that it has a locked multiplier and will therefore not overclock!
Yes it is supported by the board!
m
0
l
December 8, 2011 7:13:22 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Here are the differences between the Intel® Core™ i7-2600 and the Intel Core i5-2500K:
Intel Core i7-2600
-Support TXT (Trusted Execution Technology) a business level virus protection feature
-Support for VT-d (Virtualization with Directed I/O) ability to assign hardware to a VM.
-Intel HD 2000 Graphics
-100MHz faster clock speed
-Hyper-threading (4 core/ 8 threads)
-2MB of additional cache
Intel Core i5-2500K
-Unlocked multiplier (allows overclocking)
-Intel HD 3000 Graphics better than the HD 2000 Graphics

Since very few games can take advantage of more than 4 threads and the extra features on the Intel Core i7-2600 and Intel Core i7-2600K don’t make a lot of difference most of the time in games the Intel Core i5-2500K ends up being the processor of choice for gaming. You can take the $100 and spend it on a better video card or even a small SSD and get better performance.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team


Sorry to bump the thread even though an answer has been agreed on, but could you explain to me 'Support TXT (Trusted Execution Technology) a business level virus protection feature'. What on God's earth is that?
m
0
l
December 8, 2011 7:26:41 PM

Question! I just found out my 2600 has no memory (like some sort of xxx megabytes and is a 2000HD) card. Will this effect my gaming capabilities if I buy a Graphics card like Radeon 6850(+) or GeForce 560Ti ?

Should I be concerned about not having a 'memory' after running up the processor? can this be solved with 2 sticks of 4gb ram?
m
0
l
a c 888 à CPUs
December 8, 2011 7:47:26 PM

Version of HD graphics does not matter for gaming you will need a discrete card like you mention to handle it. Memory you buy separably and install in the motherboard the PC will not work without it, 2 x 4Gb is good.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2011 8:45:32 PM

You bought the 2600 for 230? Its worth 300 new, i dont see why you were worried about not being able to sell it though..
m
0
l
a c 190 à CPUs
December 8, 2011 8:58:33 PM

TXT easy answer is that it stops some virus that are doing information gathering.

I personally like the details on wikipedia for it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Execution_Technolo...

Intel Trusted Execution Technology (Intel TXT) is a hardware extension to some of Intel's microprocessors and respective chipsets, intended to provide computer users or system providers with a higher level of trust and control over computer systems. Intel claims that it will be very useful, especially in the business world, as a way to defend against software-based attacks aimed at stealing sensitive information.

It is one of the requried features to enable vPro based system in a business environment.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
0
l
!