New I5 2500k/GTX 580 system. Cant decide on a monitor.

kancer526

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Hello Everyone, I just receive the parts for my first gaming build EVER lol.

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P

CPU: I5 2500k

Cooling: Corsair H80

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600MHz

GPU: EVGA 580 1536mb

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0

Case: Corsair cc600tm

I chose these components after reading reviews and receiving advise here on this forum.
I just have one more question... what monitor size do i get?

I already purchased an Asus 23" back lit LED @ 1080p max rez but am not sure if this monitor will be big enough for gaming. Although the price was great i can still fork out a bit more for a bigger size. I am looking at an Asus 25" monitor from New Egg ( i would like to stick with Asus if possible)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236123

Do any of u have or are familiar with this monitor and is it good for gaming? or should i go bigger ( i will not spend unless it is a drastic difference)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117

Solution
There is no right size for everyone.

Many competitive gamers prefer a smaller screen because larger ones impair them. In an FPS, a very large screen will delay your reaction times as your eyes must scan more area. Similarly, a raid healer in WoW or other MMO has to see a lot of things easily. 20 health bars, threat meter, encounter notifications...

On the other hand, you have to consider how close your screen is to you. Also, what kind of work might you be doing on it? Multiple open windows?

I went from a 1680x1050 22", to a 1920x1080 24" monitor. I found this to be a good fit for me, but I think it might be too large for some. Others not large enough.

So, my opinion would be that you have the right size to start with. You might sit...
There is no right size for everyone.

Many competitive gamers prefer a smaller screen because larger ones impair them. In an FPS, a very large screen will delay your reaction times as your eyes must scan more area. Similarly, a raid healer in WoW or other MMO has to see a lot of things easily. 20 health bars, threat meter, encounter notifications...

On the other hand, you have to consider how close your screen is to you. Also, what kind of work might you be doing on it? Multiple open windows?

I went from a 1680x1050 22", to a 1920x1080 24" monitor. I found this to be a good fit for me, but I think it might be too large for some. Others not large enough.

So, my opinion would be that you have the right size to start with. You might sit down in front of a larger monitor and think that it is more immersive, but does it really hinder your gaming performance? That's the question you have to ask.

Solution

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
If you had eyefinity, I'd go for 3 el cheapo 1080p screens around 23". Each would set you back about $130.

But since you are going for a GeForce, I'd try and get a 27" 1080p screen. Samsungs are good, as are LG. I have been very happy with LG screens of late. If you can afford it, a 30" 2560x1600 Dell IPS is a phenomenal screen. On sale, they would set you back about $1100

kancer526

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

I will be mostly a gaming on this system. i do not need to use it for work and do not do any editing and such. I just called NewEgg and they told me i can open it and try it out and can return it with in 30days as long as i dont send in the rebate. You say your 24" is a good fit for you. Is the 23" to 24" a significant diffrence? Do u do alot of gaing?

Slight difference I would say, as they have the same res usually. I play FPS, RPG, Strategy (Civ V only), and used to play a lot of MMOs but not so much now.

My Current top 5 steam games are
Civ V
CoD Black Ops
Deus Ex
The Witcher
CoD MW2

My monitor is over a year old but was a good one at the time...

LG W2453V
http://www.lg.com/us/computer-products/monitors/LG-lcd-monitor-W2453V-PF.jsp

kancer526

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

I went a head and opened the box, put the monitor on my desk, moved around on my chair, adjusted the monitor, and adjusted my chair lol. I have a small desk as my set and i realized that if i get a bigger monitor i will not have enough distance from it. i am also thinkgin about what u said regarding FPS games and being able to scan the screen faster. I will keep this monitor after all. Besides, if i ever put in a 2nd card it will be cheaper to buy 2 more of these than the bigger size.

Thank you for your help :)