Windows 7 will not load previous start point

Aubrey William

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Windows froze(windows 7-64 bit) and I powered off the computer and powered up Windows loaded until the colored flag came up and stuck at that point. Have tried to repair and use a good restore point, but no joy. Sticks at same point.
Used windows install disk to enter repair and tried to restore system, no joy, same sticking point.
Any suggestions short of complete re-install?
Aubrey W. Adkins
Do not post your @mail, u will be automatically notified if some one post a fresh post in your thread. Thanx : )

natemare

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Just a stab in the dark but, if safe mode works maybe try running a virus scan/spyware. It may well be a virus/spyware, (unlikely, but worth a shot) or it could be your Windows install, which as you have already suggested might need a reinstall unfortunately.

Aubrey William

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Tried F8, Loading .sys files and it locked up part way throught that evolution. I am moving file off a disk, using my other DT to do the reinstall. I really am not sure I trust the present HDD.

It could be the drive... How are u moving the files off of the drive?

Aubrey William

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
I have 2 DTs, I'm using one to copy all my files off a 250GB that I will use to do a new install. After the new install, I will try to recover and move what files I can from the old system HDD from the down DT. It's a bit-h, but I suppose biting the bullet and reinstalling all my programs is quickly becoming my only available option. Sort of removes option from the situation.

Aubrey William

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

Further TSing resulted in concluding the motherboard had a fatal problem. I start building a new unit tomorrow.