Device Manager not detecting

sirloin

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Hello, I've been looking around for info of whether my PC has the capability to get a new graphics card. So far from looking in forums it seems so. I was about to buy a new one when my brother's PC's VGA to DVI Adapter broke, so instead of getting a new one, he just took out the graphics card and plugged in the VGA to the Onboard graphics. The graphics card is an ATI Radeon model, but the exact number I don't know. I vaguely remember that it was 3000 something, though not for sure. It does not say on the card itself, and I can't plug it back in to my brother's PC. My brother's PC is an Inspiron 530, mine's an Inspiron 580. They both have the same power supply, so I figured that his graphic card would work on my PC. I put the card on the PCI express slot and it fit perfectly, I took out the metal hole thing so the display outlets could reach the exterior and a put everything back together. So when I go to Device Manager to see if the graphics card was placed correctly, it doesn't show it. I was watching this video guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6F3MhniZFI&feature=related . The card's fan is running when the PC's on. Also unlike some of the newer ATI Cards (5770), this one doesn't need(or better said, have) a specific outlet where you can plug in the 6 pin cable thing from the power supply. The current onboard graphics I have is Intel HD Graphics, I disabled it and then tried looking for the new card in device manager but it still didn't show. I tried looking for it again after I downloaded the driver update thing for the ATI Radeon HD 3000(which ofcourse I wasn't 100% sure that was the model of my card). But I shouldn't have to do none of those things for the card to atleast just show up in device manager. What I'm a doing wrong?

sirloin

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011