Can I plug a PSU replacement fan into mobo instead of psu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRK1091

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Hey all,

Bought a xion microAtx htpc case the other day to make my first htpc, reviews on newegg deplored the thing for having a loud psu fan but the price was too awesome to pass up.

I thought about getting a new psu along with the main purchase of all my components, but I refrained. Now I'm getting interested in psu fan replacement. Looked up some guides, it seems pretty easy, BUT...

I have no soldering iron (or skill in soldering for that matter)

I don't feel like springing an extra $5 for butt connectors when a psu fan plus that cost would be approaching the price of a new, quieter psu

So my question is the following: could I possibly just cut the old fan's cords, replace the fan, NOT cut the new fan's cords and just lead it out of the psu to plug into an actual cord from the psu and possibly the motherboard? Is this feasible/recommended?

Thanks for your time guys

Solution
Replacing a PSU fan is easy but should only be done as a last resort on PSU's out of warranty! Take the reviews on Newegg with a grain of salt what is loud to somebody can be quiet to others, so judge by yourself.

JRK1091

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Alright I'll test it out before replacing any components, make sure it really IS loud... Thing is this build's going to be an htpc so anything louder than a whisper will be mighty annoying. But thank you all for the quick answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.