PC to PC connection question

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Hello, i want to connect 2 PC's with internet cable so that i can play heroes 3. It is a direct connection and i have a few questions.

1. What kind of cable do i need to use, a normal internet cable or a crossover cable? -i found the answer, sorry for not looking.

2. Do i need to make some changes in the network and sharing center for this to work?

Wile i play i do not need normal internet access. Only PC to PC.

Thank you for helping me.

"
Can I hook up two computers that both have Ethernet adapters without using a hub, switch, or router?
Yes. You'll need to use a special cable called a "crossover" cable, however, or the two systems won't be able to communicate.
The "crossover" cable looks like a normal UTP Ethernet cable, but it's wired differently, swapping the Receive and Transmit Ethernet signal pairs.
Be sure to Enable File and Printer sharing in both systems' Network Control panels and we suggest using the NetBEUI protocol to get you up and running quickly.

But is it possible to connect with normal network cable somehow?

Feels like I'm intruding on a private conversation between you and someone I can't see. :D The setting you need to find and change is in Network Setup Wizard at the point where it offers you connection options. One will be to share another comp0uter's network connection and you need to run the Wizard in both systems then restart them both.

Just buy a switch they're 20 dollars and it'll save you a lot of headaches.

seacliff

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

This is your answer. If you want to use a straight, then you'll have to buy a switch/router.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

Newer network cards will automatically reconfigure them self to work with normal cables. I am not sure how new they haft to be.
My personal rule for this it, if it is gigabit then it will reconfigure it self. But I don't know if this is a fact or not.

The only way to know for sure, is to try it.

*note only 1 of the computers will need to support the automatic configuring.

But honestly I really really recommend a router for this, they make home networking basically just plug and play.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Never got it done. Thanks for trying to help. I wanted to play Heroes III that day through a direct connection. On xp i know somebody that does that but on win 7 he did not know how to.